Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 10:06:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338429 Posts in 13854 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  New Kindles
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Kindles  (Read 1571 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:43:56 AM »

So, I think Amazon just broke open the Android tablet market.  7", Dual-Core tablet for $199.  They just made every other Android tablet being produced obsolete.  I see this as the first legitimate android tablet that can take market share away from the iPad due to 1) Amazon's services, and 2) price point.  I think the rush on HP Touchpads proved that a low-cost tablet, even if it's not an iPad, can succeed.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:20:05 PM »

Meh, I already have a better Android tablet.  Amazon is being pretty mum on technical specs, probably because it isn't packing anything worth talking about.  The only thing that makes this device at all interesting is the integration with Amazon's cloud services.  Still, it sounds like a heavily locked down device, no access to the standard Android market, etc.  I'll pass.

Still, what I want and what most consumers seem to want has proven to be rather different in the past.

I am sort of interested in the new Kindle Touch (good to see e-ink is still alive and well), but I'm a pissed that they made absolutely no mention of the fact that the $99 price point was for the ad-supported version.  It's not until you actually try to buy the thing that you find out that you have to pay and extra $40 if you don't want ads.  I don't care if they want to make an ad-supported version, but at least mention that you're talking about the ad-supported one when you announce the price point!

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:37:48 PM »

Meh, I already have a better Android tablet.  Amazon is being pretty mum on technical specs, probably because it isn't packing anything worth talking about.  The only thing that makes this device at all interesting is the integration with Amazon's cloud services.  Still, it sounds like a heavily locked down device, no access to the standard Android market, etc.  I'll pass.

???  With the exception of clock speed on the processor, most of the specs are available:

http://gizmodo.com/5844648/how-does-the-amazon-kindle-fire-tablet-stack-up-to-the-competition

It's not the highest-end tablet out there, but it's plenty powerful for a $200 device.

You're right that it's going to use Amazon's app store, but it's been reported they confirmed at the press event that apps can be sideloaded (hello Nook reader).  The device isn't going for the ultra hardcore tablet market - you're absolutely right that those folks will go for one of the Samsung or Asus or other devices, but I really feel this is the first legitimate low-cost tablet.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:41:07 PM by KeeperX » Logged

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »

Meh, I already have a better Android tablet.  Amazon is being pretty mum on technical specs, probably because it isn't packing anything worth talking about.  The only thing that makes this device at all interesting is the integration with Amazon's cloud services.  Still, it sounds like a heavily locked down device, no access to the standard Android market, etc.  I'll pass.

???  With the exception of clock speed on the processor, most of the specs are available:

http://gizmodo.com/5844648/how-does-the-amazon-kindle-fire-tablet-stack-up-to-the-competition

Sorry, but there are a lot of question marks even on that chart.  And we are missing more info about the processor than just its clockspeed.  We don't even know what kind of processor it is.  Saying 'dual-core' is meaningless.  Dual-core is completely standard these days.  And furthermore, there are plenty of things we don't know that aren't even on that chart, for instance what kind of graphics processor it has (and yes, that can matter on tablets).

To put it another way:  About the only things we do know are the screen size and resolution and memory.   That is not 'most of the specs'.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 01:43:31 PM »

I own a second generation Kindle and have been thinking about purchasing an iPad. This kind of... bothers me a little. I'm just confused now. Doesn't seem worth getting if I already own an eReader but at the same time, it's still cheaper than an Apple device. Fortunately no decisions have to be made immediately so I'll just see how people react to this and if any price tags go down!

It's crazy how many gadgets people have around them these days. It wasn't until I was packing up over the summer that I realized how many of these things surround me: laptop, Kindle, iPhone, DS, iPod. It makes me hesitate every time I want to purchase something new.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

Sorry, but there are a lot of question marks even on that chart.  And we are missing more info about the processor than just its clockspeed.  We don't even know what kind of processor it is.  Saying 'dual-core' is meaningless.  Dual-core is completely standard these days.  And furthermore, there are plenty of things we don't know that aren't even on that chart, for instance what kind of graphics processor it has (and yes, that can matter on tablets).

To put it another way:  About the only things we do know are the screen size and resolution and memory.   That is not 'most of the specs'.

You're right that we don't have everything.  Some sources say it's a TI OMAP4430, so it would have a PowerVR SGX540.  So the same processor + video processor as the BB Playbook or the Droid Bionic phone.

Plus, you state dual core is "standard" - and you're right, it is on the tablets that are priced $400+.  However, if you look at what's likely this tablet's closest competition, the Nook Color, you've got a tablet running customized Android 2.2 on a 800mhz single-core processor.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:42:04 PM by KeeperX » Logged

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 04:05:51 PM »

I know some people complained that they put in the crappier processors in the Bionic.  Probably would be fine for a cheap tablet though.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »

I wanted the Kindle Fire to have 3G

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »

I bought the Kindle 3 (now called Kindle Keyboard) about a year ago right after it first came out. Unless the touch screen makes a huge difference (and for internet browsing it might) I have no intention of investing in a new one, especially since I've got the 3G. For people who don't have a kindle, though, what are you doing?! Go get one! I love my kindle so much!

For the Fire though... am I allowed to not care? The idea of an Android tablet has always seemed goofy to me, but that might just be because I have an iPhone for my touchscreen needs. Who's psyched for that iPhone event?
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »

I think I'd like tablets more if you could just like, install whatever the fuck you wanted without having to go through a proprietary app store.

It looks like you can put Ubuntu on an HP touchpad. I'll see if that's... doable. And if Dosbox is runnable on it. preware.org looks promising I guess.

Otherwise i'll probably just pawn mine or something.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 11:23:17 PM »

I think I'd like tablets more if you could just like, install whatever the fuck you wanted without having to go through a proprietary app store.

You can, on Android.  Unless the vendor has it locked down in some weird way (which these Kindles may be).  But on a standard Android system you can always just download an application from a website or something and install it manually.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 12:00:31 AM »

But on a standard Android system you can always just download an application from a website or something and install it manually.

Interest piqued.

Also if there's a well-working version of Dosbox for the Touchpad I'd be happy.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 01:00:04 AM »

Also if there's a well-working version of Dosbox for the Touchpad I'd be happy.

The Touchpad is WebOS so I don't know about that, but there is DosBox for android.  I haven't actually used it though so I can't tell you how well it runs.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »

People are working on getting Android on HP Touchpads, though Ubuntu already works.

AFAIK Android and webOS are actually Linux based. Apparently the ARM processor in the touchpad causes some kind of compatibility issue with certain software. I have no idea what the actually means because my hardware classes were all bullshit.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 01:47:51 AM »

AFAIK Android and webOS are actually Linux based.

They both use the Linux kernel, but otherwise they're actually quite different.  And they are different from what most people think of as 'Linux' (which is actually a whole boatload of libraries and utilities, not just the kernel).

Apparently the ARM processor in the touchpad causes some kind of compatibility issue with certain software. I have no idea what the actually means because my hardware classes were all bullshit.

You probably mean with regards to Ubuntu, which is typically run on x86 hardware.  For Android, ARM is the standard.  Everybody uses ARM in mobile devices these days.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: