Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 10:59:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319313 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 26673 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 05:26:07 PM »

I find it ironic that people are pointing to the fact that it's a Wii game as being the reason it isn't being talked about here. Yet, the Xenoblade topic is growing daily. No, it's because RPG fans have all had a love/hate relationship with Zelda. Most of us love the series, as it really meets most of our interests for a good RPG. Yet, because it's very mainstream and has quite a bit of non-RPG and RPG-lite elements, many are a little hesitant to publicly admit it. But by in large, the Zelda haters on RPG fan sites are relative outliers, and I bet a fair amount of the anti-Zelda trolls actually have played and liked more than one Zelda, themselves.

Am I stoked? Yes. I thought Twilight Princess was one of the best games ever made, and I didn't think it was possible for them to outdo Ocarina (though I love me some Majora's Mask too, as long as I can remember how to play the reverse song of time). Though, I'll admit, I wasn't a huge fan of Wind Waker... I love the art style, but  the sailing got REEEAAAALLLLLLYYYYYY DDDDDUUUUULLLLLLLL. I get the feeling like Skyward Sword is going for a stylistic cross between TP and WW. I'm cool with that, just as long as the game mechanics keep things interesting, and the scenery breathtaking (an endless sea of flat blue waves can only dazzle the eyes for so long).

After Twilight Princess, though, I'm really interested in where they go, thematically. TP took the series into darker territory than I ever thought it would go, redefining the acceptable limits of the franchise. Missery, Sorrow, Disturbing, Nightmarish, are not usually terms I would use to describe the Zelda series, yet they are all applicable to TP. I'm hoping that SS will be able to extend the themes of the franchise into uncharted territory, not neccessarily in the "dark" direction, though.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »

Yet, the Xenoblade topic is growing daily. No, it's because RPG fans have all had a love/hate relationship with Zelda.

Xenoblade is also out whereas this isn't. If NoA were on the ball about localizing Xenoblade that probably wouldn't have much discussion prior to release either.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »

You make a great point. I'm on the same boat on Mass Effect 3 and Uncharted 3. Some friends asked if I've been seeing the latest videos but I know I'll get it either way so why spoil myself, right ?

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 06:49:28 PM »

Yeah, in fact I'll probably be avoiding this thread until I get my hands on the game, and Aoelus already told me more than I wanted to know.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 06:57:02 PM »

I'm surprised at the lack of chatter here though.

Speaking for myself, I'm not really one to hunt down every detail on an upcoming game unless I'm undecided on whether I want it or not. Being Zelda that question's long been answered.
Yeah, this is a good point. It was never in doubt that I would get it, so I haven't spent much time watching videos, looking at pics, or reading previews. Less I know ahead of time the better.

Prime, I new right after I posted that Xenoblade would be brought up. Eusis already answered for me there.
Plus, there was tons to talk about with that one considering the whole release issue.

So does the cheaper version come with the motion plus thing or not?

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 08:51:25 PM »

I'm surprised at the lack of chatter here though.

Speaking for myself, I'm not really one to hunt down every detail on an upcoming game unless I'm undecided on whether I want it or not. Being Zelda that question's long been answered.
Yeah, this is a good point. It was never in doubt that I would get it, so I haven't spent much time watching videos, looking at pics, or reading previews. Less I know ahead of time the better.

Prime, I new right after I posted that Xenoblade would be brought up. Eusis already answered for me there.
Plus, there was tons to talk about with that one considering the whole release issue.

So does the cheaper version come with the motion plus thing or not?

The "cheaper version" does not come with the Wiimote +. Only the special edition has it as an extra.

Something's off with an egg... ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 08:53:56 PM »

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is up to page 33: hasn't been released yet, and was announced for US release on Day 1. Come on... it's not like RPG NEVER talks about games before they are released. Hell, in fact, I would say they're talked about MORE before they're released, unless they're a sleeper hit like Nier. Dark Souls was only just released, and it's up to page 22.

This isn't about being released or not, or having controversy surrounding it. Unless you're saying that noone will discuss a Wii game UNLESS it's unreleased in the US and has controversy surrounding it. In that case, Nintendo is in big trouble.

But I'm more likely to believe that it's because it's Zelda. Everyone knows it's going to be great, there's little question that it's going to be a B+ game at the very worst. No console Zelda game has EVER let us down, EVER. Except maybe Zelda II, and that was 25 years ago. But other than that, there isn't much to say about it. The themes seem to be a bit more subtle than Twilight Princess, so we don't know any big surprises yet to discuss. There's not much to debate or argue, except for thing like, "why aren't people talking about it?"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »

I could've sworn someone mentioned something about how  "Zelda talk is what Zelda informer and Nintendo sites are for", and I guess there's some truth there. I know the people on the Nintendo sites I visit have been talking about it nonstop since it was announced. I still have to agree with Eusis, though, that the people here just probably assume it's going to be good, rather than drum up a lot of discussion over it.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 09:44:22 PM »

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is up to page 33: hasn't been released yet, and was announced for US release on Day 1. Come on... it's not like RPG NEVER talks about games before they are released.

To be fair, half the posts in the XIII-2 thread are bashing it.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 11:41:02 PM »

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is up to page 33: hasn't been released yet, and was announced for US release on Day 1. Come on... it's not like RPG NEVER talks about games before they are released.

To be fair, half the posts in the XIII-2 thread are bashing it.

I say for good cause.  Worst of all is the emphasis trailers and the bulk of what we're shown is the "drama" of it all.  Too little of trailers nowadays is solely gameplay, it's theatrics (hell, Dead Island really won it for their pony show).  Anyways, if FFXIII-2 is reviewed well, then I'd buy it... fact is, I think FF13 left a bitter taste in many people's mouths.  Hence the bashing.

Kinda why I find the sort of indifference about Zelda here odd.  The titles are usually very good.  Twilight Princess, to me, outclasses Ocarina in almost every aspect -- I thought that game was next to perfect (hell, I re-bought it to ensure it stayed in my collection [long story, and stupid brother]).

I can't wait for this, and I love how we have a master-sword chick guiding you, I kinda like Nintendo for these little twist characters that join the cast, even if it is kinda gimmick-y.... they've kept it fresh.
The item upgrade system will be a nice bonus too.

I like, and I HOPE, that Ganondorf [stupid name] stays away from this title.  When I said Twilight Princess was next to perfect, one aspect that sucked was how the game went away from this interesting new villain, Zant, and turned it into the Ganon Show.  I kinda like having this new fella in this game as well [Flock of Seagull guy with the diamond jumper]. ... but old habits die hard... if this is a more "origin story" to the Zelda Universe, it still may be kinda cool to see what they do with Ganondorf.

It looks like this title is really pushing a strong relationship between Link and Zelda in this one too.... about time?  I always hated that aspect of Ocarina of Time, where it seemed the subtext of EVERY female interaction was how much they want Link's cock in their mouths..... TMI?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 11:55:26 PM »

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is up to page 33: hasn't been released yet, and was announced for US release on Day 1. Come on... it's not like RPG NEVER talks about games before they are released. Hell, in fact, I would say they're talked about MORE before they're released, unless they're a sleeper hit like Nier. Dark Souls was only just released, and it's up to page 22.

Similar to what you said about Zelda generally being a reliably good series, both FFXIII-2 and Dark Souls are more interesting to talk about in general: Dark Souls follows one of the most exciting RPGs to come out in recent years, a JRPG that the industry at large paid attention to and took seriously, while FFXIII is almost its antithesis, a FF that was the ultimate culmination in where the series was headed to most people's displeasure, and despite the reaction online (and to a lesser degree from critics) is getting a sequel pretty damn quickly anyway. And has some ridiculous plot details and goofy redesigns to spur a lot of conversation, or at least mocking.

Also,  you might be underselling Zelda somewhat here. Granted a topic didn't seem to have existed within recent months, not with Zelda in the title anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was talked about more in general threads like the E3 one, and this thread started TODAY and is already on two pages.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 12:08:15 AM »

Similar to what you said about Zelda generally being a reliably good series, both FFXIII-2 and Dark Souls are more interesting to talk about in general: Dark Souls follows one of the most exciting RPGs to come out in recent years, a JRPG that the industry at large paid attention to and took seriously, while FFXIII is almost its antithesis, a FF that was the ultimate culmination in where the series was headed to most people's displeasure, and despite the reaction online (and to a lesser degree from critics) is getting a sequel pretty damn quickly anyway. And has some ridiculous plot details and goofy redesigns to spur a lot of conversation, or at least mocking.

Also,  you might be underselling Zelda somewhat here. Granted a topic didn't seem to have existed within recent months, not with Zelda in the title anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was talked about more in general threads like the E3 one, and this thread started TODAY and is already on two pages.

Also Squeenix came straight out of the gate saying that a lot of XIII-2 was being built from the cutting room floor scraps of XIII-1. Because as we know, FFXIII-1 was a tech demo designed with it's art ass(ets) first (and foremost), and they're doing it again with FFXIII-2. And though they are promising to fix the immediate problems evident in the first game most of us doubt that they're going to address any real issues that need to be addressed.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 01:29:03 AM »

Also Squeenix came straight out of the gate saying that a lot of XIII-2 was being built from the cutting room floor scraps of XIII-1.

Actually, they have explicitly stated that this is not the case.  But the myth seems to be more popular than the reality.

And now we're talking about XIII-2 in the Zelda thread...see, it's such a talk-aboutable game!

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 01:46:48 AM »

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 02:43:02 AM »

Now let's talk about Uncharted 3, since we did that for 3 pages in the Deus Ex thread, anyway.

So... Uncharted 3...

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: