Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 09:59:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331726 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 30079 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #285 on: January 05, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »

I would never have associated the amount of enemies in an area as a defining point to it being an overworld or not.

At the end of the day, the 'overworld' is simply a term to define anything that isn't a dungeon or a town. No matter how much you believe Zelda overworlds are like dungeons, the simply fact is that they are not. Dungeons are enclosed areas with (usually) only one way in and out. Overworlds allow you to go from place to place and location to location without being stopped by anything except the landscape.

If I go run around Hyrule Field in OoT and then go into Forest Temple... are you really saying they're similar things? If I go from the Hyrule overworld in A Link to the Past into the early sewers level... are they really even remotely similar?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 06:56:15 PM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: January 05, 2012, 07:59:36 PM »

What would you call the Sacred Grove, or the river leading up to the waterfall, or Garudo Canyon? Obviously Hyrule Field proper isn't a "dungeon", but there are plenty of other areas in Zelda games that blur the lines.

The reason we're even having this discussion is that prior to it's release, Nintendo (themselves) claimed that Skyward Sword really blurred the lines between overworld and dungeon. All I'm saying is that that's BS, and that they really didn't do anything differently than they had in the past. Obviously there is a difference between dungeon and overworld, and there still is, contrary to what they're claiming.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: January 05, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »

I "admired" the dungeon naming scheme.  The Fire Temple was the Earth Temple *snicker*.  The Skyview Temple, despite hardly any proper view of the sky, subbed as the Forest Temple. xD

One thing I loved this time around was the dungeon key bit.  Just a fun, final puzzle.  And I thought Klok...kalok...Koloktos[?] was the best boss the series has seen in a while.  Design was amazing ('spesh when he is holding all 6 swords up), he was pretty tough, and can be taken out in an extremely unique way (not with the master sword, but with... his... D: ).  And I did think the Ancient Cistern was one of the coolest looking dungeons in a long time.
(Hey, look, Aeolous, I'm complimenting!)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: January 06, 2012, 01:04:59 AM »

BUT THEY HAD 3 FIRE DUNGEONS! WHAT THE FUCK!

Not to mention, they missed a HUGE opportunity: Air temple. I don't think they did a very good job with TPs sky dungeon, most of it was enclosed anyway, so you didn't really get a lot of "sky". But I mean, comeon! This is "Sky"word Sword! A game that worships the air! Air temples almost always rock, I'll argue that Minish Cap's sky dungeon was one of the best dungeons in the entire series. The whole concept of a sky dungeon is a platformer's dream come true. They could have upgraded the sailcloth to a cape a-la Link's Awakening. Everyone knows Air Temples are awsome.

I betchya that originally the island of Songs was supposed to be a dungeon. I was expecting it to be (just like that temple in Wind Waker), and was greatly dissapointed when it was just a stupid tower with a rotation puzzle. LAME!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #289 on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:40 AM »

So I just beat the Fire Sanctuary and I really, really loved it. Especially after that bloody Sandship. I'd say the Sanctuary is my favourite dungeon in the game and ranks up highly as one of my favourite in the series (somewhere behind Spirit Temple (OoT) and Earth Temple (WW)).

Adon237

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »

Yeah this game is sweet. I love that it's on wii, because you sorta feel as if you were actually swinging the sword.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »

Just wanna say I'm doing the flame quests and I hope the backtracking is kept to a minimum.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »

I love how intuitive the use for the whip got by the end of the game... to pull a level right beside you! :D

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2012, 11:43:49 PM »

Is there any way to know how many Goddess Cubes you're missing? I'm about to start hunting for them... but I really have no idea how many I already have.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2012, 11:48:24 PM »

Is there any way to know how many Goddess Cubes you're missing? I'm about to start hunting for them... but I really have no idea how many I already have.

Fortune teller would've been great for that had Nintendo not been dumb and reversed one of the better things TP introduced to the series (well, that was just heart pieces, but it could've applied to both here).
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: January 09, 2012, 06:54:42 AM »

Best bet is to go to an area and do a dowsing sweep. If you get no reaction then head to the next area repeat; if you do get a reaction make sure it isn't pointing to the next area otherwise head to the next area repeat. It's not as bad as trying to find stuffs with Super Metroid's X-Ray Visor as dowsing covers a pretty broad area and you only have to either press 'C' or hold it and select the option instead of not being able to run while it's selected or move at all while using it.

Additionally this game's Super Guide was pretty useless as well.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:18 AM »

Yeah this game is sweet. I love that it's on wii, because you sorta feel as if you were actually swinging the sword.

thats precisely why i hate it. i want to control link as if he was an action figure,not pretend that i am link.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: January 10, 2012, 10:26:58 AM »

thats precisely why i hate it. i want to control link as if he was an action figure,not pretend that i am link.

There's also the polar opposite: Quick Time Events, where the game thinks you're too uncool to handle the action the way *it* wants.

Where do our loyalties lie...hmmm...

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: January 10, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »

By QuickTime events (we're not talking Apple video protocol here, I'm gathering), do you mean the finishing strike? Though I sorta agree... how exactly would you perform that complex manauver? (jump toward enemy raise sword, brutally stab it)

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 10, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »

I think she's speaking broadly on the concept... and yeah, fuck them. Kills the feeling of being in a game in favor of spectacle. Zelda's not a really bad offender though, in WW it's a rapid sequence, and in TP/WW it's sparse and on Wii with the addition of motion controls to make it feel more like you did it. It's stuff like God if War that's the big offender.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: