Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur

Fyle

• View Profile
Re: Kingdoms of Amalur
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2012, 06:03:44 PM »
Is blacksmithing worth investing in in KoA?

There is so much good loot anyway, it seems like making your own is unnessecary. I pumped a few points in it, but I'm about to reset those and put them in almost anything else.
I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2012, 07:35:29 PM »
I'm not that far in, but I think to make Blacksmithing worthwhile you need to put a lot of points into it.  It probably won't be worth it until you have all the points to spend on it at once.  I'm told you can make very powerful gear - but also you can find very powerful gear.  So, eh, I'd say don't worry about it until later when you've a surplus of materials.

Fyle

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
Ya, it's only worth it to me if you can make things better than you can ever find.
But, there's so much loot, I don't really care about it and might not later on.

Rather dump those points in Sagecraft to upgrade what I find.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:45:13 PM by Fyle »

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 13, 2012, 11:04:17 PM »
I love leveling up in this game. I'm focusing on sorcery and throwing other points into finesse.

For my main skill I figure I'd do sagecraft.

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
Is blacksmithing worth investing in in KoA?

There is so much good loot anyway, it seems like making your own is unnessecary. I pumped a few points in it, but I'm about to reset those and put them in almost anything else.

LOL Blacksmithing is as OP as it is in Skyrim. Eventually you will be able to build armor that makes you invincible. Such as with 1K+ armor with more passive healing then your taking damage. I'd avoid it unless you want to break the game. After all, you gain so much loot in this game your bound to find what you need.

I personally level up Sagecraft so I can upgrade my equipment. Keep in mind that epic gems are only for use in blacksmithing and they are OP as all hell. So don't bother fully upgrading Sagecraft. Just take it to level 6 so you can craft pristine gems.

Fyle

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2012, 01:28:55 AM »
I personally level up Sagecraft so I can upgrade my equipment. Keep in mind that epic gems are only for use in blacksmithing and they are OP as all hell. So don't bother fully upgrading Sagecraft. Just take it to level 6 so you can craft pristine gems.

Ya, I was thinking that. Just seems like anything would be more fun. I kinda built a typical warrior class on auto-pilot and just poured points in there. Thanks to the reset system, problem solved.

Detect Hidden is pretty fun.

The speech craft seems pretty meh. Mainly in place to reduce bribes? I'm just rambling.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 14, 2012, 01:32:50 AM »
I'm not happy that there's basically two lock picks, lockpick and dispell.  All the skills do seem to add a bit of variety based on how you put points in, mercantile can take a walk tho..

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 14, 2012, 01:33:53 AM »
No, you can finish quests differently if you've Speechcraft leveled.  Again, I'm not too far, but within the first ~4 hours of the game there were three quests I finished using Speechcreaft instead of violence.  Maybe it gets less useful later on?

Fyle

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 14, 2012, 02:22:51 AM »
If you fail the dispell, seems that the result isn't so bad. You either take some damage or get cursed, which can be solved by a Healer for cheap or a healing potion if you only take damage. But, you get the loot, so that's what matters.

Maybe the damage and curses start getting more harsh late game, still I'd imagine the fix is the same.

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 14, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »
You get a fair amount of damage actually. I failed the 1st one b/c I had no idea what I was doing and it almost killed me.

Edit: How do you get the bonus stuff from the ME demo?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:20:10 PM by Yoda »

Kevadu

• Some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 14, 2012, 02:40:55 PM »
I absolutely suck at dispelling.  I just set them all off and take the damage.  Seems to be working out OK so far...

Cyril

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
I absolutely suck at dispelling.  I just set them all off and take the damage.  Seems to be working out OK so far...

Same with me.  I'm horrible at it.  I'm just going to start dropping most of my points into it because I'm simply so terrible.  It's bad, too, because the curses can be horrible, such as constantly eating away at MP. That just stops my mage-character in its tracks.

Fyle

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »
I just set them all off and take the damage.  Seems to be working out OK so far...

Same here. Especially when you're loaded with healing potions anyway. Just take the damage and click a pot.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:26:24 PM by Fyle »

bigdeath

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »
No, you can finish quests differently if you've Speechcraft leveled.  Again, I'm not too far, but within the first ~4 hours of the game there were three quests I finished using Speechcreaft instead of violence.  Maybe it gets less useful later on?

Don't worry, you'll keep finding quests you can use speechcraft through out the game. So its a good investment to put points in gradually. However get Detect Hidden level 8 as soon as possible since not only will you detect hidden chest but now you'll detect hidden doors. Some Lorestones can only be found behind hidden doors.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 09:49:11 PM by bigdeath »

Yoda

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2012, 10:48:10 PM »

Edit: How do you get the bonus stuff from the ME demo?