Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:41:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330162 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 34835 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: May 24, 2012, 06:06:38 PM »

Judging by how much money they put into it and we've barely heard anything at all, it seems like a case of bad management and foolish allocation of resources.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2012, 08:57:49 AM »

Another case of daikatana?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »

Another case of daikatana?

Being another Daikatana would mean a overhyped game (by marketing anyway) that took too long to come out, but the studio continued to exist for much longer partially because games like Deus Ex WERE both successful and well received. This seems more like the Spirits Within if that never came out. Actually how about Vanguard? It was the only game Sigil Games Online made before going under, though the difference here is that the MMO failed to come out, while a solid spin-off of said MMO DID come out. And the death of 38 Studios seems to be making a bigger splash with the news, but then you have Curt Schilling founding the studio and the state of Rhode Island having a stake in them.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:53:55 AM by Eusis » Logged
deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2012, 12:25:24 PM »

This turn of events is all due to the MMORPG that 38 Studios (Curt Shillings company) was pushing Big Huge Games to help them develop after they purchased them. 

Reckoning was basically a game that Big Huge more or less had in the bag already, but was intented to be little more than an intro to what Curt really wanted - his own MMO. 

The thing is, it was totally misguided.  That genre just doesn't not viably exist anymore, unless you are a company with a endlessly huge fanbase (like Blizzard).  Heck even Bioware's Star Wars MMO is starting the flounder now, even with all that name recognition.  The only game thats going to take any glory from World of Warcraft is going to be whatever Blizzards follow up will be. 

I even posted on the official Kingdoms of Amalur message boards back when Reckoning was first released (and Curt Schilling was a regular poster at the time) and I said how they should just concentrate on supporting Reckoning since it was a good but flawed game and making good single player rpgs and forget this MMO folly which would fail horribly, and that it would never compete with WoW, and he actually posted back with some crap about "well they said the Red Sox in 2004 would never win the world series either when we were down 0-3 in the ALCS with the Yankee, and look at us now!"

I mean the guy was completely deluded thinking his brand new unheard of IP from his start up company would  take WoW's fire.   

Now I guess he is just another broke/sad ex athlete since I think he pretty much threw his whole fortune into making this MMO which will never release now. 

Its a shame since Reckoning was a well done first effort of a game and I would have loved a follow up. 
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »

Judging by the fact that the studio ran out of money 3 months after releasing Kingdoms of Amalur, your advice, even if they followed it, would have been way, way too late.

EDIT: Incidentally I think you are correct - the MMO that just kept going and going and costing and costing is what killed them, not KoA. My point is simply that by the time KoA was released, it's too late to take that years of money that has been spent back. They couldn't pay the bills or their employees with actual revenue finally coming in for the first time from a few months of KoA sales, at that point you are already doomed because you have already overspent.

In hindsight they almost certainly should have done things differently, closer to the way you described.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:38:44 PM by dyeager » Logged
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2012, 01:24:42 PM »

There's a statement somewhere from Schilling that Amalur needed to sell 3 mil to make money for the company. An overly ambitious goal.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »

That statement was actually made by Lincoln Chafee, governor of Rhode Island. Schilling has maintained that the sales "exceeded expectations" which, if true, makes the mismanagement look more like a dream world that only Schilling is living in.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »

You're correct. The 1.2 mil sales exceeded EAs projections.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: May 25, 2012, 03:02:24 PM »

I don't buy the needed-3-million-to-break-even number for a second.  That's just politics.  The statement was made by the governer of Rhode Island, who was not governer when the deal was made and always opposed it.  It's a completely unrealistic figure if you think about it.  Given the typical return on games (after factoring out all the middlemen), 3 million still should have been about enough to cover the entire $75 million loan the company was given.  Which might be what the governer was talking about, but most of that money wasn't spent on KoA.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: May 25, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/25/3043282/38-studios-downfall-leads-to-second-mortgages-for-some-employees

38 Studios passes second mortgages onto some former employees

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 25, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »

Holy crap.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: May 25, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »

Holy crap is right.  Until now we've just seen bad business decisions, but that's outright fraud.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: May 27, 2012, 09:28:54 AM »

The former employees are already being fished out by other studios, including Time Warner so there's a little ray of light poking through this whole mess.

Trying to start a studio with an MMO is just plain stupid. Those things cost a fortune to develop and maintain. If they had just started with Amalur, developed a successful series if IPs, maybe then they could start thinking about developing an MMO based of an established franchise...
Ah well, sad to see a studio fail like that. Amalur may have been generic in every way, but at least it did it well.

I wouldn't worry about the franchise though, someone is bound to acquire the rights to it (I'm guessing EA) and release a sequel eventually.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:31:00 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Hearthstone: I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chaos on Deponia: Beat the first one, went straight for the second one, that says a lot.
F.E.A.R. 3 Feels rushed, but it's not bad
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: May 27, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »

I wouldn't worry about the franchise though, someone is bound to acquire the rights to it (I'm guessing EA) and release a sequel eventually.

Ya.

Good point there. The game was successful - just not a the blockbuster they hoped for.

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: May 28, 2012, 12:53:06 AM »

What the FUCK.

Someone needs to go to jail for this shit. This is just appalling.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: