Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 04:05:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331685 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 35494 times)
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »

I am curious about the game, but don't have a chance to play the demo (my PC is not set up for gaming and my Xbox360 is not hooked up to the internet). Is the battle similar to ME or DA?

If you want an RPG reference its similar to Fable but to me its more like a mild version of God of War. I think the action could almost define the game if it were not for the 10,000 years of lore and new races.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2012, 11:33:24 AM »

I've said this on the podcast a couple of times, but I think that the best direct comparison for the combat is a game like Darksiders.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2012, 01:14:42 PM »

Gotta agree with John, here. It feels like a fusion of Darksiders and Fable.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2012, 01:20:47 PM »

I just mentioned Dragon's Dogma because I thought someone might have played it at E3.

I did, but not much. Felt generic, mostly. Mike played a lot more though:

http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/Dragons_Dogma/index.html

Amalur seems more story-focused and less on the generic side? I have yet to try the demo but I've seen a lot of both games.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2012, 12:19:25 PM »

Gave the demo a bash.
I have to say that its very enjoyable.
It doesn't exactly innovate or set any new standards, but rather tries to get the genre standards right, and for the most part it seems to succeed.
The high points would have to be the graphic design and a fluid battle system. The lows would be the bugs and very unstable frame rate.
The story doesn't seem like anything special so far but I cant say I paid much attention to it, especially since there is a time cap (after you leave the tutorial area) on the demo and there's only so much that can develop in 45 minutes.
Probably not a day one for me but I do plan on picking this up eventually, pretty good for a first effort by a new studio.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 10:26:00 PM »

Gave the demo a bash.
I have to say that its very enjoyable.
It doesn't exactly innovate or set any new standards, but rather tries to get the genre standards right, and for the most part it seems to succeed.
The high points would have to be the graphic design and a fluid battle system. The lows would be the bugs and very unstable frame rate.
The story doesn't seem like anything special so far but I cant say I paid much attention to it, especially since there is a time cap (after you leave the tutorial area) on the demo and there's only so much that can develop in 45 minutes.
Probably not a day one for me but I do plan on picking this up eventually, pretty good for a first effort by a new studio.

The timer stops when you are in dialogue and menus.
axhed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:51 AM »

So I'm seeing the claim being thrown around on various forums and things that the demo was based on a four month old build and was thrown together by a third party (while the main team continued to develop the game, presumably).  That would explain the bugginess but nobody is citing an actual source for this claim.  Does anyone here know anything about it?
on the final score podcast, shilling said the demo was code that was over 3 months old and he was kinda pissed off about it, i don't remember anything about third parties though.

he also mentioned that they've already submitted the first dlc, and ea said it was too big.

http://finalscoreshow.com/category/episodes/

#76, interview starts around the 62 minute mark, iirc
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »

he also mentioned that they've already submitted the first dlc, and ea said it was too big.

Man, you know you messed up when even EA thinks you cut too much out for DLC.

The timer stops when you are in dialogue and menus.

Yes, I know. The game made that quite clear and my hour or so on pause pretty much confirmed it. I didn't pay much attention to the story because I was more interested in the game mechanics, and was fully aware that its a short demo where there's hardy any room  for development beyond setting the basic premise, which I got. Hero raised from dead, gains powers, must forge own fate and save world from evil monsters. Hardly the Witcher, but it should provide enough incentive to get from point A to B.

NOW PLAYING:
Violette: Charming, clunky, frustrating, rewarding.
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »

Online pass confirmed.

http://www.destructoid.com/kingdoms-of-amalur-hides-seven-quests-behind-online-pass-220459.phtml

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »

Those bastards are including a code for free DLC in every new copy of the game!  How dare they!

BTW, the code doesn't work yet because the DLC isn't even finished yet.  So this isn't unlocking content that's already on the disc or something.

It's amazing how a genuinely nice gesture can be grossly misinterpreted...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »

Those bastards are including a code for free DLC in every new copy of the game!  How dare they!

BTW, the code doesn't work yet because the DLC isn't even finished yet.  So this isn't unlocking content that's already on the disc or something.

It's amazing how a genuinely nice gesture can be grossly misinterpreted...

Bonus content? Free DLC? What are you smoking? This is 7 quests in the game that are locked if you buy the game second hand.
EA doing its thing.

I'll never understand why single player offline game require online activation...

P.S. If this also applies to console that's major suckage. I'll be frank, none of my consoles are hooked to the Internet (too much wiring would be needed)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:16:46 PM by Annubis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2012, 05:50:37 PM »

Hey folks,

We wanted to post a quick clarification for something we've seen a few comments about. For what it's worth, the House of Valor content was not in the finished game/disc at one point, then removed. It isn't there and we're locking you out of it. The House of Valor was created as stand-alone content, and was always intended to be the first DLC. Instead of holding onto it and charging for it later, we opted to give it to everyone who purchases the game new, for free, on launch day.

Source

Free DLC is exactly what this is.  Stop freaking out.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2012, 05:53:47 PM »

I stand corrected, my apologies.

That said, going with my previous P.S. I guess I don't even need to debate PC vs 360 anymore =/
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:06:53 PM by Annubis » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2012, 06:14:11 PM »

In other words, they took content out of the game, are labeling it as "free DLC" and locking it behind a code wall.

I can't believe anyone would fall for such a blatant PR spin.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2012, 12:21:37 PM »

In other words, they took content out of the game, are labeling it as "free DLC" and locking it behind a code wall.

I can't believe anyone would fall for such a blatant PR spin.

If it's ready on release day, it kinda seems that way.  Game probably went gold and was sent to production months ago so it's also possible that after that, they were able to hammer out the DLC relatively quickly thus, the launch date release date for it.  We'll never really know the truth.

I thought you needed Origin for the PC release, but it's on Steam too thankfully.  Still going to wait for reviews though, been burned before.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:02:41 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: