Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 11:12:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338623 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 38142 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »

Unlikely that Amalur went gold months ago (probably earlier this month), but either way.. it's free content. If anything, it sounds like an incentive to get people to buy the game new and not used later on.

God knows I learned my lesson with Mass Effect 2 and the Cerberus Network. :P D'oh.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »

i am just waiting for a goty edition. I wont buy any ore content that should of been included
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 05:47:49 PM »

It isnt dlc. Its in game content that they cut, and said it was dlc in order to make there piracy prevention method noble.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »

^ Enough with the double and triple posting everywhere. Edit your posts.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »

didnt realize that was a double
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

How the hell can you not? Double = posting twice in a row in a thread.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2012, 06:41:32 PM »

It isnt dlc. Its in game content that they cut, and said it was dlc in order to make there piracy prevention method noble.

It is DLC. It's content that would have been paid DLC, because it wasn't finished when the game was pressed to disc. Because EA uses Online Passes, they utilized that as a method to give the content FOR FREE to everyone who buys the game new (in other words, who actually gives their money to the developers and not to Gamestop vis-a-vis buying used). It's not a piracy prevention method, it's a used game sales deterrent for EA. Would you rather they not have this content at all? Or would you rather that instead of charging only those who buy used, they just charged everyone $10 for it?

And as Kyuu said, please edit your posts instead of double/tripling.

EDIT:

And for that matter, how is preventing piracy something that ISN'T noble? Stealing their game wouldn't exactly be a noble thing, either.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 06:45:15 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »

In other words, they took content out of the game, are labeling it as "free DLC" and locking it behind a code wall.

I can't believe anyone would fall for such a blatant PR spin.

Honestly, I'd probably mind a lot less if it wasn't clear this was EA's operating model for EVERY 360/PS3 games of theirs going forward. This may well be the most minor because it might be just some really basic quests to net you above average gear or something, rather than entire characters or an online mode period.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 07:25:12 PM by Eusis » Logged
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2012, 07:01:29 PM »

I cant believe how many of you are falling for this fake dlc pr spin move

I also cant believe how many of you are approving it.

Its really sleazy

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2012, 07:14:31 PM »

I cant believe how many of you are falling for this fake dlc pr spin move

I also cant believe how many of you are approving it.

Its really sleazy

Seriously, how dare they provide free content to people who buy the game new.

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2012, 07:26:51 PM »

I don't really understand the argument on the used game side - it seems pretty simple to me:

Buy the game new, get this stuff.

Buy the game used, don't get this stuff.

I try my best not to buy games used, specifically to support the developers and publishers in an industry where margins can be paper thin on games for the hardcore.  Sure, you have titles like Call of Duty or World of Warcraft, which make an obscene amount of money, but considering that this is a brand new IP from a combination of a new company and a developer that was about to cease to exist, I have no problem handing over my dollars.

For those who are so opposed to the concept, is it your plan from the beginning to buy it used?  If so, you're going into it with the full knowledge that this will be how it is.  Is your rage because it interferes with your plan to buy used, or is it argument on a conceptual level?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2012, 07:35:54 PM »

I try my best not to buy games used, specifically to support the developers and publishers in an industry where margins can be paper thin on games for the hardcore.  Sure, you have titles like Call of Duty or World of Warcraft, which make an obscene amount of money, but considering that this is a brand new IP from a combination of a new company and a developer that was about to cease to exist, I have no problem handing over my dollars.

This.

VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2012, 07:58:00 PM »

its more like how dare they pretend its dlc when it isnt.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2012, 08:19:02 PM »

In other words, they took content out of the game, are labeling it as "free DLC" and locking it behind a code wall.

I can't believe anyone would fall for such a blatant PR spin.

Honestly, I'd probably mind a lot less if it wasn't clear this was EA's operating model for EVERY 360/PS3 games of theirs going forward. This may well be the most minor because it might be just some really basic quests to net you above average gear or something, rather than entire characters or an online mode period.

Pretty much. It's the principle of the thing.

For those who are so opposed to the concept, is it your plan from the beginning to buy it used?  If so, you're going into it with the full knowledge that this will be how it is.  Is your rage because it interferes with your plan to buy used, or is it argument on a conceptual level?

No. I had actually planned to buy it new. But the fact that they are deliberately walling off content is what irks me.

If you want me to buy your game, put all of the content on the disc. Don't take some of it out of the game and put it behind a wall.

It's that simple.

This is not "free content". This is content that should have been in the game and has been taken out. I will not support that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:22:59 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2012, 08:21:02 PM »

Dont get me wrong. I am all about buying games new  to support the dev

but this move doesnt feel right. It feels slimey
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: