Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:47:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338072 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 37916 times)
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »

Just play the demo. It's out tomorrow. Sometimes demos can be a better indication of how much you'll personally like a game than a review can.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »

Just play the demo. It's out tomorrow. Sometimes demos can be a better indication of how much you'll personally like a game than a review can.

Kinda like how the DA2 demo set the Internet on fire =P
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »

Kinda like how the DA2 demo set the Internet on fire =P

That was incredible. I was a newish member of RPGfan and what a time that was.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »

Admittedly of all genres RPGs probably translate the worst to demos. That, or in depth strategy games.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »

Demo's out on Xbox Live apparently. Anyone give it a shot yet? I need a break from Mass Effect.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »

I'm going to download it now, not sure if I'll have time to play before class.

Thanks for the reminder!

It's a beefcake of a download, FYI. Almost two gigss.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:01:29 PM by Yoda » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 01:03:54 PM »

Wanted till found out no co-op... D:

Been following though, curious about this one.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:48 PM »

Gave it a quick shot while waiting for bacon to cook.

Visually, it's very impressive. It's not Uncharted 2/3 or anything but it moves fast and quick, very slick lighting effects, and cool if typical environments (based on the 1st area).

The skill tree looks beefy and the combat is nice and fast. The only concern is when you strike something w/ your sword, such as a barrel or other smashables, there's a weird hiccup or pause in the animation. Looks bad, imho. Hopefully that gets cleaned up.

There are some things w/ presentation as well. When you kill something a GIANT ass XP meter shows up on the bottom of the screen. It's huge and ugly. Also, when in a conversation a weird letterbox shows up and...well that looks ugly too.

All around it looks fun enough to play. Music equals the best of the LoTR. Visually, it's much better than Dragon Ages but it's no Witcher 2.
neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »

Played the demo and am extremely pleased with it so far. I had to go to class so I only played a little bit. I cant comment on story cause I wanted to see it action.

Couple of things I hope they fix but probably wont.
- Bow aiming: I dont know if its a skill you need but there is only auto aim for the bow with no reticle.
- Menus: With the impressive artwork for this game its pretty ridiculous that the menus are SO BLAND!
- Sheathing weapons: The character will always sheath a weapon if it is not in use for over a second...literally a second. Its kind of annoying and takes away from the tension of battle. I like to know that an enemy is nearby when the weapon stays unsheathed and after the battle is over that the character will put it away.

These are very little discrepancies that are almost completely overshadowed by the things that are done right! I really need to finish skyrim before this game comes out.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »

Playing on PC myself, and it looks significantly better on a proper rig.  My only worry is that the text size and minimap are so small that it makes it hard to read.  Hopefully that will be resolved in the full release. 
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »

Just played through the demo. Combat is quick, fluid and I really dig the almost instant swap between secondary weapon and/or magic. I see good things coming of this.

Demo has a timer though, so don't lollygag too much.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:42 AM »

I enjoyed the demo a lot. Big open, colorful world with combat that's actually fun. Sign me up

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 02:28:06 AM »

Can anyone tell me if for their PS3 demo, the intro cinematic stuttered every couple of seconds as though I was playing on a PC that couldn't hangle it?  The FFXIII-2 Demo video at the end did the same damn thing..and I cant find anything online about either or them..im really starting to get worried my ps3 is somehow messed up..but I have no idea where to start...ill keep going and see how the game is..unless it to decides to go wonky on me.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 03:31:01 AM »

Can anyone tell me if for their PS3 demo, the intro cinematic stuttered every couple of seconds as though I was playing on a PC that couldn't hangle it?  The FFXIII-2 Demo video at the end did the same damn thing..and I cant find anything online about either or them..im really starting to get worried my ps3 is somehow messed up..but I have no idea where to start...ill keep going and see how the game is..unless it to decides to go wonky on me.

The only problem I noticed is the hiccups w/ animation in battle.... and the demo crashed on me once.

Other than that... this is a game I could play the living hell out of.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 02:09:43 PM »

The only problems i had on the ps3 version was sometimes after an area loaded the some of the ground parts didn't load for a few seconds you could still walk over it but it just looked like a big hole in the ground till it finished loading. The 360 version I ran into almost no issues with.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: