Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 06:36:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340861 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 38743 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »

For those who are so opposed to the concept, is it your plan from the beginning to buy it used?  If so, you're going into it with the full knowledge that this will be how it is.  Is your rage because it interferes with your plan to buy used, or is it argument on a conceptual level?

I think it's also the annoyance that when you buy a console game you gotta put in some code, even though this isn't PC where there's so many pirating vulnerabilities and where games are at least a LITTLE more technical to get running anyway. Well, and the whole "on EVERY EA game" thing, if this were more like every other game I'd probably be completely apathetic.

Though it helps further solidify a PC purchase, same steps to setting up I'd do there anyway, the small chance it may not even HAVE a code, and they skip EA as a publisher outright, meaning they'd get a larger share!
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2012, 08:38:51 PM »

The next step is only selling half the game. And then making the second half only available if you paid a premium
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2012, 09:03:52 PM »

Let me put it to you this way.

Say I buy the game new and download the "free content".

But I don't really get time to play the game until the fall (which happens with my backlog because of school).

Now I'm planning on going overseas to teach English this year. Say I take the game with me overseas, because PS3 games are region free and I get a PS3. I've now automatically excluded myself from that content unless I decide to wait and bring the code overseas. But if I ever come back to Canada and want to play the game, I've still excluded myself from the content, unless I buy another copy of the game.

That's just bullshit. There's no reason for that, except for greed. It's not rewarding anyone.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »

What are you talking about? Unless they've started blocking downloads by IP (and last I heard they haven't) you'd be able to download the content freely and as many times as you want after registering that code. If you kept needing to use the code there'd literally be no point to the practice.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2012, 09:09:28 PM »

the sad part is the inevitable second edition will probably have even more content and this content unlocked without the need for this preventive measure
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »

Let me put it to you this way.

Say I buy the game new and download the "free content".

But I don't really get time to play the game until the fall (which happens with my backlog because of school).

Now I'm planning on going overseas to teach English this year. Say I take the game with me overseas, because PS3 games are region free and I get a PS3. I've now automatically excluded myself from that content unless I decide to wait and bring the code overseas. But if I ever come back to Canada and want to play the game, I've still excluded myself from the content, unless I buy another copy of the game.

That's just bullshit. There's no reason for that, except for greed. It's not rewarding anyone.

Just put in your PSN account and all your content is available to be redownloaded. I have done this several times when I lived in Japan and came back to the US.

And Dragon, that's the point. The second edition will be out LATER. This isn't a new practice. They sell Uncharted 2 now for a cheaper price than it launched it with ALL the DLC included. If you want to play it when it releases with the extra content, you buy it new or purchase a pass.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2012, 09:17:03 PM »

Half the time you have to put in a code to download all that new content anyway, so in a sense it's actually just a more extreme version of the launch version anyway.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »

The next step is only selling half the game. And then making the second half only available if you paid a premium

That's a slippery slope argument, and it's the same as saying legalizing gay marriage will some day lead to the legalization of human-animal marriage.

Now, here's my question: companies like Stardock and CDProjekt are heralded for their consumer-friendly approach of "get things for free if you register the game".  Explain to me how the practice is different - you can play TW2 or Sins of a Solar Empire without registering your game, but you lose access to any patches or other content available for the game.

In essence, both are anti-piracy schemes that provide the player with additional content.  People seem to hate online passes, but they seem to love the type of schemes that the aforementioned companies put forth.  I don't see a great deal of difference between the two.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »

I have no opinion on marriage...........

I actually have a big problem with cdprojekt un related to the dlc thing but more in line of the constant re packaging thing

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2012, 09:28:22 PM »

I actually have a big problem with cdprojekt un related to the dlc thing but more in line of the constant re packaging thing

That was an analogy, good sir, not me telling you what your opinions on marriage were.

And repackaging?  CDProjekt has provided every piece of content they've put in a repackaged version of The Witcher to users absolutely free.  The "Enhanced Edition" packages simply offer an updated installer with all of that data included so you don't have to download it separately.

If your argument is that the price declines over time, that's simply a matter of software having reduced value over time as the market becomes saturated.  Demand is lowered and supply is raised, so the price is lowered in an attempt at equilibrium.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »

That was an analogy, good sir, not me telling you what your opinions on marriage were.

And repackaging?  CDProjekt has provided every piece of content they've put in a repackaged version of The Witcher to users absolutely free.  The "Enhanced Edition" packages simply offer an updated installer with all of that data included so you don't have to download it separately.

If your argument is that the price declines over time, that's simply a matter of software having reduced value over time as the market becomes saturated.  Demand is lowered and supply is raised, so the price is lowered in an attempt at equilibrium.

Not to mention CDProjekt continually improves on their games after release, offering these improvements to existing owners for free and to new owners in the form of the Enhanced Edition packages.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2012, 10:06:31 PM »

Seriously, at best you may have a point about not getting physical versions of the Enhanced Edition manual/guide, and even then so long as they offer PDFs it doesn't really matter. Having a beef with CDProjektRed over this is the dumbest thing.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:22 PM »

If I recall, the enhanced edition is the first physical re-packaging they've even done for Witcher 2. There's been updates, but they've all been free and they've all been downloads.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
VampiricDragon_
Banninated

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »

My problem is they release it on the pc only. Well and good they are a small dev.

My beef is they now release 2 collectors edition boxes for both the pc and 360

your telling me they couldnt of squeezed in a ps3 port?

It makes no sense to me.

Thats what I had a beef with.

I did play witcher 1 and 2.

I thought the first game was terrible. The second was pretty damn good
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2012, 10:16:33 PM »

You answered your own question: they're a small developer, and the PS3 is both harder to develop for and probably easier to get a very late port on to. Sony mandates a minimum of new content, but it seems they're more lax about those late ports than Microsoft is, and they HAVE hinted a PS3 port may be on the way.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: