Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 11:30:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329848 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 34572 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2012, 02:57:14 PM »

Wait, what?

So, given this scenario:

Customer buys title new at release for $60.  Decides not to buy DLC.

Customer waits ~1 year.  Several pieces of DLC have been released at a total of $40 for all the content.

GotY edition is $30.

Customer buys GotY edition as a "double dip", saves $10.

That's greedy on the part of the company?  Because they're offering a product up in a capitalist market in multiple forms?

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »

Why should people be expected to double dip?

Like I said, pure greed.

They shouldn't be expected. I bought DA for the 360 when it first came out, but didn't play it much. Eventually got a PS3 and repurchased the ultimate edition for the PS3.

On the other hand, I haven't purchased Fallout NV yet, but will do so when the compilation arrives.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2012, 06:45:53 PM »

Wait, what?

So, given this scenario:

Customer waits ~1 year.  Several pieces of DLC have been released at a total of $40 for all the content.

GotY edition is $30.

That's greedy on the part of the company?  Because they're offering a product up in a capitalist market in multiple forms?

$60 + 30 = 90

That is not saving $10.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2012, 07:25:55 PM »

Are you intentionally ignoring the part where he said they release $40 in dlc? If you pay 60 and then 40 for DLC, you have spent 100. If you pay 60 and buy no DLC, wait for a year,  and buy the GOTY for 30,you have spent 90 and received all DLC.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »

Wait, what?

So, given this scenario:

GotY edition is $30.

$60 + 30 = 90

That is not saving $10.

So your argument has nothing to do with a re-release including DLC; it's the postulation of "Additional game content is Greedy"?

Now, don't get me wrong.  There are some games out there that have DLC that is greedy.  Take Beautiful Katamari, where players are buying nothing but an unlock for content already on the disc.  That's greedy.  But DLC like those that you see in RPGs is not unlike seeing a full-fledged expansion pack like Throne of Bhaal or Lords of Destruction.  I don't see an issue with companies continuing to support a product via downloadable content.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:43:17 PM by KeeperX » Logged

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »

Wait, what?

So, given this scenario:

GotY edition is $30.

$60 + 30 = 90

That is not saving $10.

So your argument has nothing to do with a re-release including DLC; it's the postulation of "Additional game content is Greedy"?

Now, don't get me wrong.  There are some games out there that have DLC that is greedy.  Take Beautiful Katamari, where players are buying nothing but an unlock for content already on the disc.  That's greedy.  But DLC like those that you see in RPGs is not unlike seeing a full-fledged expansion pack like Throne of Bhaal or Lords of Destruction.  I don't see an issue with companies continuing to support a product via downloadable content.

What I mean is that paying $90 for a game instead of $60 is not saving money.

There is no way I can seriously believe that there is launch "DLC" ready on the day of release for both platforms. I just don't believe it.
This is obviously content that has been taken out and is being spun as "Free DLC" to avoid bad PR.
It's sleazy and indefensible.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2012, 08:33:23 PM »

If you "just won't believe it" you've effectively killed any point in continuing to try to appeal to reason.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »

There is no way I can seriously believe that there is launch "DLC" ready on the day of release for both platforms. I just don't believe it.
This is obviously content that has been taken out and is being spun as "Free DLC" to avoid bad PR.
It's sleazy and indefensible.

I'd like to know how there is no way.  The cutoff for adding new content to the game due to a QA has to be fairly early in the process - several months before release.  Consider this, I got my hands on an early Alpha build for Amalur back in September - five months ago.  Alpha and Beta builds are used for QA - content is relatively complete at that point.  Certainly there's fine-tuning to be done, but there's a fairly good chance nothing drastically new is going to be introduced.  But while QA is going on, the content guys don't sit on their hands, especially not in a world with DLC.  So they start work on that.  They don't have full development resources, but I think even a smaller team can put together a quest chain for day one DLC.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2012, 08:47:33 PM »

If you "just won't believe it" you've effectively killed any point in continuing to try to appeal to reason.

Well all you have to go on is the word of the studio and EA.

And given their past record with this sort of action, would you believe them?

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2012, 10:18:13 PM »

This studio has no record. So you can't base it on that. They've been candid, honest, and remarkably transparent throughout the development of this game and are committed to making it one for the players to enjoy. So yes, going on their word is perfectly fine with me.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »

And given their past record with this sort of action, would you believe them?

To be honest, yes. At worst you can easily rationalize EA PUSHES for those people to keep working just so there can be some day one DLC.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2012, 11:34:39 PM »

This studio has no record. So you can't base it on that. They've been candid, honest, and remarkably transparent throughout the development of this game and are committed to making it one for the players to enjoy. So yes, going on their word is perfectly fine with me.

I was referring to EA specifically. My fault, should've been clearer.

But if EA's record on this is so transparent, then 38 Studios would have known, going into their deal, that this was likely to happen.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:36:17 PM by Lard » Logged

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #147 on: February 01, 2012, 12:05:06 AM »

And done what? Said "no thanks, we don't need your money and support to finish our game. Welp, let's pack up shop guys, they want us to have an online pass. Our passion and our game aren't worth it."

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2012, 01:34:09 AM »

The moral thing to do would have been to find a publisher that didn't force an online pass into every game.

neogalahad

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2012, 01:45:13 AM »

I cant wait for the game to come out so this thread can shift back to the talking about the game...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: