Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 10:51:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338775 Posts in 13866 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 38223 times)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: February 15, 2012, 12:29:11 AM »

First: I believe you have to play it on the same platform you bought the game on.  Even though it's technically recorded on my EA account as played on 360, my PS3 version of Amalur didn't get the bonus.  I assume this is the same for PC.

So, once you've cleared the demo, go to the first city. Gorhart.  The Special Deliveries chest should have the items.

Edit: Er, wait, the ME demo had goodies too?  I thought you simply got the Shepard gear from the pass. Er, either way it's the same.  There's a special chest made just for DLC items.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:36:35 AM by Cyril » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: February 15, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »

Why is there no camera lock on? I'm fighting a boss and when I do some evasion things he's off screen and hard to tell where he's at. Then blammo he charges me.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »

Why is there no camera lock on? I'm fighting a boss and when I do some evasion things he's off screen and hard to tell where he's at. Then blammo he charges me.

One of the weak points most reviewers said about this game was the camera angle. I haven't experienced anything like that yet myself but, I'm guessing that is what they meant.

I haven't done much of the main quest so, I've only encountered the first boss ( after the tuturial rock troll I mean).

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: February 15, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »

I couldn't even tell you the name of the thing I was fighting but it was at the end of the first main warsworn quest, when you set off with that guy. Big fire-breathing creature.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: February 20, 2012, 06:54:04 PM »

Seems like this game still isn't getting much attention!

I guess there's not too much too say? Half this thread is just opinions about the DLC sales tactics and not even about the actual game.

I'm about 20 hours in with a might/two hand weapon based character and about 4 in with a Finess based thief.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: February 20, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »

I have lots to say about this game but didn't want to keep editing my old post at the bottom :)

I like how you're not really dedicated to one weapon or attack style. I'm focusing on magic but I have chakras, swords, bows. The variety of attack options is just outstanding. I haven't started any sort of crafting yet.

I just love exploring the world too. I've never played such a vibrant RPG, well not since the 16 bit days I guess.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: February 20, 2012, 09:26:27 PM »

There really is almost too much to explore... I was checking another forum and a guy was having trouble with the first warsworn quest at level 5... because after he got the quest he went to do it. I explored the regions between completely and did all in-region quests first and hit the same spot at level 15. I guess I need to find a happy medium. The fight was way too hard for him at level 5 but way too simple for me at level 15.

After talking to the world tree and getting Ysa opened up I ended up making a new character... I decided to NOT take blacksmithing this time as it killed the excitement of looting for me. I'm also going to multi-class since being a pure sorcerer really did end up in one hit AoE kills as soon as I had tempest beefed up. I know I could have respecced to fix both of those problems, but I'd rather spread points thinner from the start and have a bit more challenge.

This time through I'm going universalist.

Finesse: faeblades, archery, stealth
Might: longswords, shielding, health bonus
Sorc: sceptre, ice, shield, summon

I think without the heavy hitting attack magic/skills the game will be a lot more fun. I's rather have an epic 10 minute dodge fest with daggers than one-shot a boss.
Brineboy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: February 20, 2012, 09:44:14 PM »

I sunk probably around 15 hours into this game over the weekend I just love playing this game.  I went with a Finesse/Sorcery build and use Daggers, Faeblades, Chakrams and occasionally Staffs.  I try to do all of the quests I come upon I'm in Ysa now.  Has anyone found full sets of armor (that aren't given as rewards from fractions)?
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2012, 02:52:03 AM »

There really is almost too much to explore... I was checking another forum and a guy was having trouble with the first warsworn quest at level 5... because after he got the quest he went to do it. I explored the regions between completely and did all in-region quests first and hit the same spot at level 15. I guess I need to find a happy medium. The fight was way too hard for him at level 5 but way too simple for me at level 15.

This is what happened to me all round. Although I haven't completed the game, at under level 10 say, the challenge level was almost perfect. Now at 17 I'm cutting down at least everything I encounter on the world map.

I guess I could pump up the difficulty from normal to difficult but, there's no incentive to do that. That was a nice thing about Fallout 3 how if you pumped up the difficulty you got more experience. I'd like to see some kind of reward system in this in other games just to give you a bit more incentive to do it rather than just a means for them to tell you you can balance the gameplay yourself.

For the record, I'm loving the game, I have few complaints, just the ease of combat. The large majority of its features are great. The practically bug free world is so welcome after coming off other open world games where bugs and freezes are common.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2012, 02:59:20 AM »

I started the game on hard and only had a rough spot vs a boss. I blame camera more than anything
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2012, 05:47:16 AM »

No real problems on hard here either... which really is kind of a shame since I'm much more of a turn-based RPGer than an action gamer. The combat mechanics really are there and fun, it's sad that 99% of the time you kill things before really getting into them. It's sort of like having the best steak dinner in the world and getting full after a bite or two.

This is so close to being a game I finish an insane boss fight and have to rave to the wife about the epicness and tell her every detail of the awesome fight (while she sits there not caring), but with my pure build it was always over before it got awesome. That's why my new char is sinking points into every tree from the start. In the intro dungeon I stuck to the daggers against the giant and actually had to roll like mad and stab him dozens of times to take him down. It was *fun*.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2012, 08:39:33 AM »

The combat mechanics really are there and fun, it's sad that 99% of the time you kill things before really getting into them. It's sort of like having the best steak dinner in the world and getting full after a bite or two.

Yes! This is a good way to put it. I totally feel that too.

If it weren't for the ease, this game would be way higher on my list. It stands as a "good game" but unfortunately seems to be filler for the next big one instead of being that next big one.

However, sorry for the negativity, I gotta get around to playing a bit more anyway.

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »

However, sorry for the negativity, I gotta get around to playing a bit more anyway.

What are you apologising for?
Just because you're not drooling over it doesn't mean people are going to bash you, well, at least not the sane ones. Besides, I agree with both of you. It was apparent from the moment I played the demo. Everything about it is unmemorable. Don't get me wrong, its fun and well executed but has absolutely no personality of its own. Its the "99% of good Idol auditions" of video gaming. Might hit all the right notes, and the next day everyone's talking about it, but at the end of the day its someone else's song. Then the show ends, and it fades right back into obscurity.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:08:17 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »

I'll just weigh in briefly and say this is easily the most FUN I've had with a game since Torchlight. I'm absolutely loving it and would probably have rated it even higher than Stephen did in his review.

I don't think there is anything average about the gameplay in this one at all - the level of customization, the beautiful loot system, the way you can make the game harder or easier for yourself not just with difficulty settings but respeccing to unfamiliar styles - I'm just absolutely loving it.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2012, 02:40:12 PM »

Just because its unmemorable and has no personality of its own doesn't mean it cant be fun. Take FFXIII for instance, it has tons of personality. In fact, some of that personality actually comes from the sheer amount of things it manages to get wrong. But, years after its release people are still talking about it. I can't see anyone talking about Amalur longer than a month or two, at best. Does that mean its not a fun game? Of course not. Its lack of any distinctive features simply makes it forgettable.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:46:36 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: