Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 06:54:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319236 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 29815 times)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:51 AM »

i am not a big fan of single character action rpgs, I like party based rpgs with defined characters.............

If I gave this a chance would I like it say............more than skyrim or deus ex?

Well now that I can't say since I don't really know your tastes beyond not liking single character action rpgs - but I personally liked it better than both of those games. I'm sure you'd find some disagreement on that assessment though. Amalur is very much a single player action rpg, so if you don't like those games I can't see you liking this.
Matrix
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:56 AM »

ok heres a better question.

Side quests are really enjoyable to me, and something I value. How are they in this game?
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 12, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »

There are a ton of them and I thought they were super fun. Sometimes they boil down to fetch this thing or kill that thing, but they tend to do a decent job of giving things context IMO. Really I think the actual gameplay is so fun that it is the overall driver here - excuses to kill or fetch things are fun because fetching and killing things is actually fun in this game.

Hopefully that helps - Amalur has a demo for all platforms so I'd definitely try that first.
Chairman7w

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: March 14, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »

...excuses to kill or fetch things are fun because fetching and killing things is actually fun in this game.

Great point - I totally agree with this!
Chairman7w

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: March 14, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »

I am 40 hours in (Level 22) and I'm really enjoying it, having a great time.

But...  I was wondering: Where are the dragons?  I've never seen one, and I wish there were some.

Admittedly, there's no law saying there has to be one, but I think it'd be cool.

It's a minor thing though, no big deal.  I'm purposely NOT trying to finish the game too fast, just enjoying the side quests and the exploration aspect.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: March 16, 2012, 03:21:13 AM »

But...  I was wondering: Where are the dragons?  I've never seen one, and I wish there were some.

Well, there is one dragon, you'll get to that. But, it's a one shot quest battle.

One minor complaint ppl had about Amalur was the low variety in enemies. I thought the variety was decent, but, for a game which repeats the same type of format over and over as far as quests go, enemy variety would have helped.

I did enjoy this title but, I see no reason to put in much more than the 50 hours or so I already have. Does anyone have 100 hours on this game yet?

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: March 16, 2012, 07:39:57 AM »

I'm at around 50 hours. I love the game, but I do see what people mean when they complain about the difficulty. My build is universalist making myself put 1 point in each tree each level, and no smithing. Even with that the game is easy on hard mode. I rarely use reckoning mode because most fights are over way too quickly without it, and I'll admit some boss fights can really feel epic without it but if I'm not popping it normally and don't during boss fights it seems like a waste.

I sort of wish the enemies were harder, the reckoning bar took longer to fill, or both. Being able to use reckoning to wipe out a big group instantly and have the meter full again after 2 more encounters with boggarts makes it feel less like a rare super move to spend wisely and more like an "I win" button that's almost always there.

Currently I've finished the first area and Detrye, and am level 27 halfway through the Plains, using all lower tier found armor and weapon (550ar and 90dmg when I could wear 1000+ ar and 150dmg)... still don't really get hurt in most encounters. With my build the only real skills I have are lunge, the first lightning spell, envenomed edge, and the rogue smoke/dagger attack, and they really only knock enemies back or stun them for a second so I can get a combo or bow shot in.
Chairman7w

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: March 16, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »

Good points, guys.   Yeah, a little more enemy variety would be nice.  Definitely looking forward to the DLC, that sounds fun.  Not sure I could pour more than 70 hours into a character, though.  After I finish (I'm a dual-dagger-wielding Rogue type) the main quest, I may play again with a new character.

and zMKnightz, while I agree with you about the difficulty (I think most everybody feels this way), you ARE exaggerating a bit on the refill time of the Reckoning Bar...  Two encounters with boggarts refills it??   Hahahahaaa...  I get your point though, to be sure.  Funny line about the "I Win!" button.

Maybe I'm just not as good a player as most, but it doesn't seem *THAT* easy.  Too easy for my tastes, admittedly, but I still die at least once a play session when I get overwhelmed.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 16, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »

My solution to the "I WIN" button is not to press it.

What I mean is there are so many options in Amalur that if you want to make things more challenging, just don't use some of the stuff that makes it too easy for you.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:39:57 PM by dyeager » Logged
Chairman7w

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: March 16, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »

Where's the "Like" button?

What I mean is there are so many options in Amalur that if you want to make things more challenging, just don't use some of the stuff that makes it too easy for you.
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: March 17, 2012, 06:29:31 PM »

I disagree. If they fail to balance the game properly and you don't call them out on it, because you prefer to self impose limits, you're pretty much giving them a free pass to simply ignore the problem.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:31:44 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 17, 2012, 07:04:12 PM »

So fewer options = game balance? I do not agree. But even if I were to concede your point, my way is a heck of a lot more fun!
Maxximum

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: March 17, 2012, 07:18:59 PM »

So fewer options = game balance? I do not agree. But even if I were to concede your point, my way is a heck of a lot more fun!

What I mean is that if the game was properly balanced you wouldn't need to limit your options to make the game challenging and fun. If consumers don't call developers out on these things, and instead just figure out ways to "get around them" then, as far as the developer is concerned, there is no problem. This means that it wont get fixed, and could potentially get worse in the following entries.

NOW PLAYING:                                         IMPRESSIONS:
Natural Selection2:                                         RTS/FPS hybrid that I just cant seem to get bored of.
Hearthstone:                                                 I don't like card games, and yet I enjoy this.
Chairman7w

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: March 17, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »

I disagree. If they fail to balance the game properly and you don't call them out on it, because you prefer to self impose limits, you're pretty much giving them a free pass to simply ignore the problem.

No, no...  It's not an Either/Or situation.  Both can be true.  The game needs to be tougher (I don't think many would argue that).  But until they fix it, it's a much better challenge if you don't use your "I Win" button.  No argument here guys, we're all on the same page, I think.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »

and zMKnightz, while I agree with you about the difficulty (I think most everybody feels this way), you ARE exaggerating a bit on the refill time of the Reckoning Bar...  Two encounters with boggarts refills it??   Hahahahaaa...  I get your point though, to be sure.

Universalist. My spells and skills don't do much damage, and I'm keeping my weapon damage lower to have a bit more challange. You get more fate points for combos using all 3 attack types (ranged, melee, magic), and since I do almost no damage with my spells it's easy to Arrow->lightning->sword twice per enemy, which usually does fill the bar in 1-2 encounters of small relatively weak mobs. Two ettin can fill it entirely if I draw the fight out a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: