Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 03:17:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334802 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 36725 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: April 26, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »

I'm loving this game. After about 30hours I finally got into the main plot and it's simply OK but the awesome leveling and skills system makes it a blast. I love checking every nook and cranny for secret shit. Since I don't MMORpg, I imagine this fills the same gamelust in me that genre fills for a lot of people. I wish this game had more minigame type things to break up the questing though.
Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: May 11, 2012, 12:12:45 AM »

My solution to the "I WIN" button is not to press it.

What I mean is there are so many options in Amalur that if you want to make things more challenging, just don't use some of the stuff that makes it too easy for you.

I disagree. If they fail to balance the game properly and you don't call them out on it, because you prefer to self impose limits, you're pretty much giving them a free pass to simply ignore the problem.

No, no...  It's not an Either/Or situation.  Both can be true.  The game needs to be tougher (I don't think many would argue that).  But until they fix it, it's a much better challenge if you don't use your "I Win" button.  No argument here guys, we're all on the same page, I think.

I can see both views here, but, the fact is games that are designed with just the right difficulty are simply designed better. The ones with the win button (and not much to make up for it) are poorer game designs and should be called out. Theres no need to defend a game thats just "good."

Gotta agree with Maxx here.

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 11, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »

My solution to the "I WIN" button is not to press it.

What I mean is there are so many options in Amalur that if you want to make things more challenging, just don't use some of the stuff that makes it too easy for you.

I disagree. If they fail to balance the game properly and you don't call them out on it, because you prefer to self impose limits, you're pretty much giving them a free pass to simply ignore the problem.

No, no...  It's not an Either/Or situation.  Both can be true.  The game needs to be tougher (I don't think many would argue that).  But until they fix it, it's a much better challenge if you don't use your "I Win" button.  No argument here guys, we're all on the same page, I think.

I can see both views here, but, the fact is games that are designed with just the right difficulty are simply designed better. The ones with the win button (and not much to make up for it) are poorer game designs and should be called out. Theres no need to defend a game thats just "good."

Gotta agree with Maxx here.

Still don't agree, especially since difficulty is a completely relative thing. What some folks call "easy" others may find incredibly difficult, and vice versa. You can have difficulty settings or, even better, sliders, and those are great examples of giving people options. By adding some powers to help you are providing options in a different and clever way in my opinion.

Obviously the ideal would be to have ALL options - I'd love it if Amalur included some difficulty sliders to tweak enemies and the built in level scaling, that would be perfect. But I have a very difficult time understanding the point of view that fewer options and features in this case is a good idea.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: May 11, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »

Agreed on the fact that difficulty is very subjective, but when everyone and their mother is complaining that the game is too easy it is a sign that game balance may be a little off. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to patch in a harder game mode for those that want it. Playtesting is hardly an issue these days since all you have to do is call it an "open beta" or something and people will be more that happy to test the game free of charge. Its brilliantly simple, and quite a few indie companies have been doing this already. Not only do people who get to test these things think they are being privileged in some way, but adding in this kind of content nets you some consumer brownie points (CDProject figured this out years ago). Not much development time, lots of benefits. Cant see why they wouldn't do this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:28:07 PM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »

I'm thankful for the game being easy. I'm 41 now and find difficult games to be more annoying and unfun than anything else anymore. There's PLENTY of tough as hell games out there to play, so it's nice to have a long awesome RPG that you can just relax and play. Game companies overcompensate anymore when layers complain their games to easy. I don't know how many times I've played a game, loved it, most players say it's too easy and then the DLC that comes out is insanely hard. Wouldn't be so bad if they set up their difficulty settings right. Most of them even easy can be tough, some easy is too easy and normal is way too hard. I know I'll get crap for saying what i said, but I love the ease of this game, And get off my lawn.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: May 15, 2012, 11:11:10 AM »

I'm in the same boat as Britton(minus a few years. Sorry, had to say it. It's so odd not to be the oldest : - ) ). I'm long past the time when I found difficult games "fun". I play games for enjoyment, not to be punished. I almost always pick the casual or easy setting if it's available. I even find most games in this setting still offer me enough of a fight to be satisfying. Mass Effect 3 for instance. Since I suck at shooting without some type of "lock on" feature, I need to play it on casual or I would never progress in the game.
Anyway, Amular is on my list of "games to play", but it will probably be awhile before I get to it. At least I know I'll have a chance at beating it.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: May 15, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »

I decided to give this a whirl.... why? I don't know.... This is NOT the type of game I typically like.... and while I'm not in even ankle deep yet and have no room to make a call as the whether I dig it or not I will say this.... some of these character animations are AWKWARD AS SIN!!! I mean right from the door, as your MC hops up freshly from a pile of rotting corpses she (in my case, I made a female character) looks as though she suffers from some debilitating handicap which greatly impedes her ability to walk upright and coordinated.... maybe I'm just not used to this "style" of visual being that all I really play are JRPG's but man.... I can't imagine ever seeing these monkey-like character models ever appearing "natural" or even "acceptable" for that matter...

I'm downloading the Dragons Dogma demo now, and I'm gonna give that a shot then make a call as to what I care to commit my precious hours to.....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 15, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »

Loved the look of Amalur. Still playing this darn game, has great DLC.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: May 16, 2012, 02:41:15 AM »

http://kotaku.com/5910628/kingdoms-of-amalur-creators-owe-millions-and-they-cant-pay

Doesn't look good.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 16, 2012, 08:52:50 AM »

Dooooooh
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: May 16, 2012, 08:53:17 AM »

That sucks. I thought sales were strong? Everyone I know that has played it has loved it. The ratings at Metacritic are well above 80%,even now that there's hundreds of reviews. I wonder if this is another case of a great game getting glowing reviews just simply being ignored? If not, I wonder how much the bug-filled demo hurt the game I know 2 people myself that refused to by the game because of that crappy demo, even though I told them those problems in the demo were fixed. In all seriousness, this is one of the best first installments of a new RPG series in quite a while, INO, and it's too bad we probably won't see a sequal.
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: May 16, 2012, 10:39:19 AM »

according to shack news the game sold 410,000 copies of the game across all the major platforms. that doesn't sound real bad but it doesn't sound great either. 75 million sounds like a lot of money to borrow.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: May 16, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »

Hopefully they can work things out and they live to make another game. Amalur is impressive and lots of fun. I was looking forward to seeing where they went next.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: May 16, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »

Keep in mind that 38 Studios has mostly been throwing money at their unreleased MMORPG.  Amalur was a side project that they picked up from a third party.  It could well be profitable on its own (though certainly not hugely profitable), but it's not enough to save this company from its own mismanagement.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »

More bad news: http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/politics/local_politics/38-studios-pays-edc-not-employees

More details: http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2012/05/18/high_risk_video_game_venture_has_rhode_island_curt_schilling_reeling/]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:52:27 AM by dyeager » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: