Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 01:52:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338391 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 38054 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: May 18, 2012, 11:07:48 AM »

Screw them for trying to find public money to bail them out.

Nice one and done company.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 18, 2012, 11:11:46 AM »

Screw them for trying to find public money to bail them out.

Nice one and done company.

It's a little more nuanced than that at this point - but yeah, it is starting to look more and more like they will be one and done.

Big Huge Games has got to be getting a complex at this point.
axhed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: May 18, 2012, 01:43:54 PM »

i had big huge hopes for this franchise, but i got a little weirded out by schilling's appearance on glenn beck's radio show where glenn himself vouched that curt was "a good and honorable man."  curt went on to talk about what a fiscal conservative he's always been.... now he's looking for public money.

sorry, but LOL.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: May 18, 2012, 05:52:15 PM »

There is something freakin' wrong with me...... So I put a few in on Amalur in hopes of deciding what my next current gen play-through is gonna be.... and I have to say this game is great. In fact I can't honestly point out anything specific I don't like aside from the very limitted options in the character editor.... Thing is I STILL DON'T LIKE IT!!!

I just can't get into WRPGS... I try, I really do.... I like this title and want to "want to" play it..... but in a few minutes I get horribly bored and my mind drifts to finishing backlogged JRPGS....

As some of you may know, whom have noticed some of my posts in the past, I really don't usually dig anything but JRPGs... But this is a perfect example of the madness that is Klyde.... a perfectly good game.... one I myself can't even complain about... and I just CAN'T for the life of me figure out why I'm turned off by it.... I love the visuals, I enjoy the gameplay, and while I can't say much about the soundtrack that really doesn't prove gamebreaking in any sense.... I don't know what the hell my problem is....

All I know as I'm gonna give Dragons Dogma a go and if that doesn't do it for me I give up on these styled RPG's altogeather...

I guess I've just become far too set in my ways when it comes to what I enjoy in gaming... and it pisses me off....

Sorry to rant for a moment, but this week has been gaming hell for me..... I sampled a ton of non-jrpgs this week only to run into the same problem every time.... games I'm sure I'll love, that I do in fact find very well done.... and I just don't feel that "magic" that keeps me playing.... in fact I don't even find them capable of holding my attention long enough figure out whats going on.....

I suppose I shouldn't be frustrated by the fact that I know what I like but every so often I look at everything else I'm missing out on in the world of gaming by being so selective and think I should dip my toes into some other genres... I should stop doing this I think as it is proving highly distressing for me right now....

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: May 18, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »

Keep in mind that 38 Studios has mostly been throwing money at their unreleased MMORPG.  

Seems like a terrible idea imo.  I wonder if they brought in anyone big to try and make it decent.

i had big huge hopes for this franchise, but i got a little weirded out by schilling's appearance on glenn beck's radio show where glenn himself vouched that curt was "a good and honorable man."  curt went on to talk about what a fiscal conservative he's always been.... now he's looking for public money.

sorry, but LOL.

haha wow...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 06:42:07 PM by Akanbe- » Logged

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: May 19, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »

There is something freakin' wrong with me...... So I put a few in on Amalur in hopes of deciding what my next current gen play-through is gonna be.... and I have to say this game is great. In fact I can't honestly point out anything specific I don't like aside from the very limitted options in the character editor.... Thing is I STILL DON'T LIKE IT!!!

I just can't get into WRPGS... I try, I really do.... I like this title and want to "want to" play it..... but in a few minutes I get horribly bored and my mind drifts to finishing backlogged JRPGS....

As some of you may know, whom have noticed some of my posts in the past, I really don't usually dig anything but JRPGs... But this is a perfect example of the madness that is Klyde.... a perfectly good game.... one I myself can't even complain about... and I just CAN'T for the life of me figure out why I'm turned off by it.... I love the visuals, I enjoy the gameplay, and while I can't say much about the soundtrack that really doesn't prove gamebreaking in any sense.... I don't know what the hell my problem is....

All I know as I'm gonna give Dragons Dogma a go and if that doesn't do it for me I give up on these styled RPG's altogeather...

I guess I've just become far too set in my ways when it comes to what I enjoy in gaming... and it pisses me off....

Sorry to rant for a moment, but this week has been gaming hell for me..... I sampled a ton of non-jrpgs this week only to run into the same problem every time.... games I'm sure I'll love, that I do in fact find very well done.... and I just don't feel that "magic" that keeps me playing.... in fact I don't even find them capable of holding my attention long enough figure out whats going on.....

I suppose I shouldn't be frustrated by the fact that I know what I like but every so often I look at everything else I'm missing out on in the world of gaming by being so selective and think I should dip my toes into some other genres... I should stop doing this I think as it is proving highly distressing for me right now....

I'm selective too and I had trouble getting into this game. I think the problem for me is that I prefer games that have a big sweeping narrative (so JRPGs for the most part, Dragon Age and Mass Effect of the WRPGs, even Assassin's Creed). I don't seem to do so well with sandbox type games where you are let loose in some world and just explore. I watched my husband play Skyrim and had no interest. I tried Amalur for awhile and just got bored - no connection to the story or the character.
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: May 19, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »

I'm selective too and I had trouble getting into this game. I think the problem for me is that I prefer games that have a big sweeping narrative (so JRPGs for the most part, Dragon Age and Mass Effect of the WRPGs, even Assassin's Creed). I don't seem to do so well with sandbox type games where you are let loose in some world and just explore. I watched my husband play Skyrim and had no interest. I tried Amalur for awhile and just got bored - no connection to the story or the character.

You hit the nail on the head for me..... it all really boils down to the fact that I enjoy characters and story that unravel before my eyes as opposed to feeling as though I myself need to "extract" or "create" these elements myself.... aside from being partial to the visuals in most JRPG's..... Or so that is all I could figure at least. I myself did muddle my way through Dragon's Age as well... maybe the aforementioned sheds some light on how or why I managed that one... The long and the short of it though is that IT REALLY FRUSTRATES ME!!! In my mind when I think of Amalur and certain games outside the realm of the JRPG, they seem tempting and I get excited to see em through... until I put them in and start playing them that is.... Its led to alot of titles on my shelf that will never see any play time what-so-ever despite my best intentions...

...In any event I also second your feelings about skyrim.... watched a buddy play for hours.... never felt enticed even once to pick it up myself...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Fyle

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: May 22, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »

It's not the best example of a WRPG. I'm about 90% WRPG 10% JRPG and this game doesn't quite feel like either. Nothing wrong with you imo, it's just an average game over all.

I thought I'd break 50 hours on it. It needed enemy variety badly and a story that could at least hold attention and create some curiosity about the lore, game world etc.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:46:03 AM by Fyle » Logged

I was once a pick up artist like you until I took an RPG to the knee.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 24, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117423-Senior-Executives-Flee-38-Studios

Also:

http://www.pbn.com/38-Studios-may-miss-out-on-tax-credits,67788

If things didn't look real grim before, they certainly do now.

A shame. Personally KoA is a Game of the Year candidate for me, playing it through a second time and loving it. Big Huge Studios has to be hoping someone comes along and saves them a second time here.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #309 on: May 24, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

Looks like it's going, going, gone...

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/24/3041662/38-studios-lays-off-entire-staff

Unfortunate.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: May 24, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »

That's very sad, I was hoping for more games in the universe.

Maybe they'll sell the IP?
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 24, 2012, 04:53:26 PM »

This is going to get real ugly: http://kotaku.com/5913102/rumor-38-studios-shutting-down-big-huge-games
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: May 24, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »

This is really sad.  I enjoyed KoA and thought that the Amalur world had potential (though to be honest KoA didn't use it well...it was mostly fun for the combat).  But the amount of money they apparently have been pouring into this unreleased MMORPG is nuts...and now Big Huge Games is going down with the ship.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 24, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »

This is really sad.  I enjoyed KoA and thought that the Amalur world had potential (though to be honest KoA didn't use it well...it was mostly fun for the combat).  But the amount of money they apparently have been pouring into this unreleased MMORPG is nuts...and now Big Huge Games is going down with the ship.

I totally agree that the fantasy world of Amalur as presented in KoA was a little on the generic side. There were snippets of interesting ideas there with the House of Ballads for example - but nothing that really was super memorable in a lore sense. I thought the Well of Souls would have been a really cool idea in an MMO when characters are constantly rising from the dead.

But the game is so freakin' FUN to just play, I really don't find myself caring that much.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #314 on: May 24, 2012, 05:19:57 PM »

Wow, this totally sucks. I feel so bad for those guys. Their game was a bit generic in terms of the world, but there was a ton of lore and the combat and exploration were fantastic.

Never awesome to hear that this many people have lost their jobs.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: