Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 03:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Kingdoms of Amalur
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms of Amalur  (Read 36829 times)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 29, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7982623/gov-lincoln-chafee-curt-schilling-wrong-blame-rhode-island-woes

Wheeee
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 29, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »

Interesting interview from Schilling (formatted for a mobile reader so might look pretty goofy on a regular browser): http://ireader.olivesoftware.com/Olive/iReader/ProvidenceJournalWithAuth/SharedArticle.ashx?document=TPJ/2012/05/29&article=Ar00100
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 29, 2012, 01:58:41 PM »

TL;DR summary: Schilling says 38 Studios hasn’t seen any money from “Reckoning’s” sales, nor did it expect to: that money was committed to EA, which had paid 38 Studios an up-front publishing fee of $35 million.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #333 on: May 29, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »

This is devolving rapidly. I really hope it doesn't become a shit-slinging contest.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #334 on: May 29, 2012, 08:18:56 PM »

Anyone else thinking that buying their MMO might be a great opportunity for a financially stable company?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: May 29, 2012, 08:48:25 PM »

No, I'm thinking that their MMORPG was a huge waste of resources from the start and even if it had gotten finished it wouldn't be profitable...

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »

Good piece:http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169444/38_Studios_Downfall_The_Gamasutra_Report.php
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2012, 11:52:35 PM »

Sorry I'm late on this discussion, but FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU.

[Translation note: I live in Rhode Island and now must pay the consequence of the this]

I didn't even vote for this Gov either... :(

I humbly apologize in place of Rhode Island's politics and will do my best not to be so Rhode Island [politicaly].

Godspeed.

That is all

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2012, 12:12:08 AM »

http://kotaku.com/5915330/amalurs-developers-saved-are-now-an-epic-studio

Perigryn
Infrequent, but still here.

Sleepy Chrono is sleepy.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: June 12, 2012, 12:58:10 PM »

Late to the party, but yeah, caught whiff of this a while back.

I can't believe that they just got axed and everything by EA. I haven't been reading too too much on it, but why the heck did it happen? I thought Amalur was doing well in sales, in spite of its proximity to Skyrim and ME3?

Just Greg, thanks.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 12, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »

EA had pretty much nothing to do with it. They only had a publishing deal with 38 Studios with regards to KoA.

It's pretty complicated so it's probably worth reading a couple of the linked pieces to get up to speed if you're interested in this sort of thing.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »

Yeah, seriously, look into it before blaming EA. They've done a lot of crap lately, but in this case they're irrelevant.

Although if you want the short version: retired MLB player Curt Schilling thinks he can jump into the MMO business, spends millions, and gets his start up bankrupt with only a side game to the MMO getting produced. MMOs are just not a good way to jump into the industry at this point.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:56:52 PM by Eusis » Logged
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 12, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »

There's also a political war that goes on between Massachusetts and Rhode Island, followed by Democrat vs Republican. It's actually really interesting stuff if you are into the business side of games or politics.

If not, stay far far away.
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2012, 08:46:13 PM »

Even though I didn't care much for Amalur I felt kind of sorry for the studio for it at least seemed like a product nicely done.
On the topic, for those who played it, from what I gathered I heard this game has good combat but what put me away is the MMO structure of the quests, is this true ?
I mean, not every quest has to be epic, but at least some should be better then "go there, kill this monster". If anything quests should at least have a back story or some nice motivation.

I heard from some reviews Dragon's Dogma suffers from this as well (if indeed Amalur suffers from it), because I do plan to at least give a shot to those games, but if they happens to be like those I'll give preference to other RPGs like Atelier Meruru, Gungnir and the import version of P4.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2012, 09:59:13 PM »

I'd say 75% of the quests attempt some sort of story or lore. However I did all the faction quests and a HUGE amount of other ones weighing in about 100hours of gameplay. I paid attention to practically none of the story except for some of the main quests. Those were ok.

That being said I had a ton of fun w/ the game because the combat is fun, the world is beautiful and colorful, and leveling up is a blast.

It's a damn great game to play if you're like me, playing a game and watching a movie or something at the same time.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: