Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 06:34:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319682 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Romancing SaGa (PS2)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Romancing SaGa (PS2)  (Read 3326 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 08, 2011, 06:45:07 AM »

So i picked this up apparentley a few years ago and forgot about it til recently. Been trying to get into it but it's pretty abusive to newcomers. Anyone have any good stories regarding their experience with this jagged edge gem of a game?

TASTY!
Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »

Not really sure what type of stories you're looking for lol. I loved the game though. Best battle music I've heard in a while, challenging combat, non linear, and has some good customization compared to most JRPGS. The individual quests are actually pretty entertaining too. It may be abusive to newcomers, but it's definitely one of the more rewarding PS2 rpgs.
Der Jermeister

G'day, sport!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 11:09:24 PM »

I honestly don't see how it's humanely possible to play any of the SaGa games without a guide. I went through all seven quests in SaGa Frontier, but it sure as hell wasn't rewarding to me. Glad Square-Enix's American branch has come to its senses and allowed newer installments to remain in Japan.

The music kicks ass, though, and SaGa Frontier 2 is probably one of the prettiest RPGs I've ever played, but it's a damn shame that artistic and musical talent is wasted on mediocre games.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 11:14:37 PM »

Yeah the music is pretty awesome. I especially love the opening theme that plays, real mellow. Battle music is pretty win, but i love the boss tunes. Outside of that, the story is really hard to follow. It never picks up to well and it seems like you spend the whole game trying to figure out what to do, then "Fight Saruin" just nonchalantly pops up on your to do list. Fun to find things to do though, just it always feels like you got nothing to do and nowhere to be.

TASTY!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 12:57:54 AM »

Go through dungeons. Kill shit. Just fuck around with it. It's not that hard. Attacks have little marquees on the bottom of the screen explaining what they do. Otherwise, if nothing is happening where you are, go somewhere else.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 01:00:23 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »

• Start Game
  • Pick hero
  • Start in village
  • Go into field
  • Make a left
  • Level 40 monster
  • Dead.
  • Restart?
  • No.  Return to store get some credit back.

I can't say I dug it.  There's non-linear, but then there's "I just die a lot and don't know what or where the fuck to go about anything".  Obviously, I didn't really sit and give it a go -- then again I didn't really muster up the care to do so.
The only SAGA game I liked was the 2nd one.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:07:23 AM »

• Start Game
  • Pick hero
  • Start in village
  • Go into field
  • Make a left
  • Level 40 monster
  • Dead.
  • Restart?

I can't say I dug it.  There's non-linear, but then there's "I just die a lot and don't know what or where the fuck to go about anything".  Obviously, I didn't really sit and give it a go -- then again I didn't really muster up the care to do so.

Minstrel Song had level scaling. I'm pretty sure you can't run into anything that's much stronger than you. Also it's seriously one of the easier saga games.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Danku

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 01:09:33 AM »

• Start Game
  • Pick hero
  • Start in village
  • Go into field
  • Make a left
  • Level 40 monster
  • Dead.
  • Restart?

Minstrel Song had level scaling. I'm pretty sure you can't run into anything that's much stronger than you. Also it's seriously one of the easier saga games.
This
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 01:11:02 AM »

• Start Game
  • Pick hero
  • Start in village
  • Go into field
  • Make a left
  • Level 40 monster
  • Dead.
  • Restart?

This

My main issue is also how it's a habit for the SaGa series to kinda "run" this way.  It's not personally a formula I liked from the start.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:15:24 AM »

saga frontier's the only one that didn't really give you much guidance. Claudia's quest in MS, at least, is fairly linear up through like the first three to five quests you get, iirc. I think Barbara's the only one that's totally open.

Claudia is also pretty easy since you start with a bear and a wolf for the first part and they're *fairly strong*.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 01:35:24 AM »

I think dice started as gray and ran into a dinosaur. They are super powered and can appear in the first area you go to in his game. I know...i did this as well.

My current game is as CAPTAIN Hawke. I love when he introduces himself, it's just so not pirate-like.

I should also mention that i love SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 a great deal. The first game was awesome, and 2 was such a cool story. Gustave was my favorite ps1 rpg hero for a long time.

TASTY!
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:49 AM »

I started with Grey first. Ran into a dinosaur. Decided to play as Albert because he was Scenario 1. 1 hour in I get an Amazon and I spend a ton of money and gems on her so she'll be an awesome Mage. I get put in prison. She disappears forever. Rage quit. Realize I haven't saved in an hour.

So should I restart as Claudia then?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 01:40:37 AM »

I should also mention that i love SaGa Frontier 1 and 2 a great deal. The first game was awesome, and 2 was such a cool story. Gustave was my favorite ps1 rpg hero for a long time.

Aaah, one of the main things I liked about the game.  It was pretty cool switching stories too, kinda leaves you wanting to see how the "next episode goes".   Gustave's story was a treat; love how he was "royalty" who overcame his world's handicap of being magic-less.  Purely inspiration. :D

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 01:57:19 AM »

Kinda off-topic but does anyone here know how to play Unlimited Saga? I've watched some tutorial videos on YouTube, I don't even remember what I saw other than a lot of menus with really nice art and music.

Unlimited Saga might have my favorite soundtrack from a Square Enix game (Nier doesn't count, that shit is from Cavia).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 02:39:27 AM »

Glad Square-Enix's American branch has come to its senses and allowed newer installments to remain in Japan.

Why the fuck is it a good thing to keep games in only one territory just because you don't enjoy them, especially when plenty of others like them and want them?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: