Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 02:18:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340854 Posts in 13928 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Romancing SaGa (PS2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Romancing SaGa (PS2)  (Read 3823 times)
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 02:40:59 AM »

Glad Square-Enix's American branch has come to its senses and allowed newer installments to remain in Japan.

Why the fuck is it a good thing to keep games in only one territory just because you don't enjoy them, especially when plenty of others like them and want them?

Because you should only enjoy what I enjoy.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 04:33:46 AM »

Glad Square-Enix's American branch has come to its senses and allowed newer installments to remain in Japan.

Why the fuck is it a good thing to keep games in only one territory just because you don't enjoy them, especially when plenty of others like them and want them?

I'm surprised you even had to ask.

That or he could mean that the changes weren't worth the effort to remake in the first place like Sword of Mana was, but I highly doubt that.

I'm still disappointed there hasn't been a Romancing SaGa 2 remake (in the same vein as the game headlining this thread was) yet.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 08:14:47 AM »

It makes sense to me to keep a game there if releasing it here means poor sales, and less future likelihood to release potentially better titles.  I'll miss that nostalgia factor of the handheld FF Legend/SaGa titles, but the remakes were kinda weird anime-injected remakes.  Not a terrible thing, I mean hell, I think remakes are awesome... shame the music wasn't up to snuff despite the better music software between then and now.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »

I haven't played a SaGa game since Frontier 2 and in that one I only got to the giant battle you have with the soldiers in all Iron gear so you can't damage them with spells. Maybe. It was a long time ago but I think that was the deal. From the comments so far I'm not sure I was really missing all that much by not picking up another one.

PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 11:46:50 AM »

I didn't like Romancing SaGa at all. I think I ran into the same problem a number of you mention by picking the guy that starts with dinosaurs everywhere. This was a big disappointment for me because I liked SaGa Froniter and Romacing SaGa 3, and SaGa Frontier 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. So yeah, Romancing SaGa was probably one of the biggest letdown purchases I've ever made.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »

I enjoyed the game a lot, but I used a strategy guide. Maybe that made all the difference? Having a general outline of events and quests is very useful.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »

Well, for all you guys who got owned by dinosaurs at the start, i went and slaughtered a bunch for revenge. My team is pretty buff right now, all roughing out at about 550 hp and stats at 50+.

TASTY!
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »

I'm going to ask my question again, because I would really love an answer. Who is the best character to start with in this game?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 06:37:25 PM »

I'm going to ask my question again, because I would really love an answer. Who is the best character to start with in this game?

The girl in green I believe? Or maybe it was just that Pat said her story was the most interesting, I forget.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 03:22:12 AM »

Albert was my first character too and I don't remember too many difficulties. On the other hand: shiny strategy guide.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 10:50:04 AM »

The girl in green I believe? Or maybe it was just that Pat said her story was the most interesting, I forget.

Loved, loved, LOVED playing as Claudia. Of the four I completed the game with, she was my favorite.

Someday, I DO plan to go back and beat it with the four I haven't touched yet (Sif, Aisha, Gray, Jamil). Of those four, I suspect I'll like Aisha the most. Maybe Gray.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »

The hideous character designs scared me away from this game.
Eldritter

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »

Minstrel song has a very charming "world" - Mardias.  Its characters and gods all fit together smashingly, and you will probably learn to enjoy it more during the second playthrough.

The game has an odd progress meter which progresses based on how many fights you do, not the # or type of quests.  As a result it is better to squeeze in more quests and less fighting if you are an experienced player. 

If you need help the gamefaqs guide is good and the board still somewhat active.
CoarseDragon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »

You can dodge those dinosaurs but actually you are not supposed to go there until you get the quest to get their eggs.

Hawke and Barbara were my favorites.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2011, 12:24:38 PM »

Does it really not dawn on people to just -avoid- fights they cannot win?  The whole point of Grey's opening quest is to -not- fight the dinosaurs, it's supposed to be a lesson on avoiding combat to not raise your event rank, in addition to giving you the feel of being in a world bigger then yourself.

Quitting this wonderful game because of that...it makes me a little sad.  Romancing SaGa is one of the best PS2 RPG's out there IMO, up there with SMT, Suikoden, and DQ8 easily.  The world is just so wonderful, and the gameplay is really fun when you get used to it.  I'd encourage anyone who quit over the dinosaurs to play again, either as a different character or just not aggroing the dinosaurs (It's not like they even pay attention to you if you don't run up and attack them.)

Albert and Claudia are the best to start with.  Albert gives you a lot of direction in the beginning, and starts you off at the lowest event rank so you have access to the most possible quests.  He also gives you fairly early access to money, a couple of powerful characters in the snow country, and you have a better idea of what you're doing.  He also gives you the most backstory on what's happening at the Isthmus throughout the game.  His only big drawback is being unable to recruit Diana, who is a very strong early character; I think he also is unable to get some items from Isthmus castle, but it's been a long time since I've played and I'm unsure of this point.  Claudia, as has been pointed out already, gives you a very strong opening party and lets you get used to combat at a bit better of a pace, but she really restricts your ability to explore early and build teams.  Claudia is also the best character in the game statistically, for what it's worth.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: