Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:27:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Board Games!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Board Games!  (Read 2009 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »

I love playing games w/ friends over a few drinks. Here are some of the better ones I've played lately.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39856/dixit

The art on the cards in Dixit is incredibly.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/116/guillotine

Guillotine is really fun and easy. Good for a decent siized group.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/32441/bezzerwizzer

^ good trivia game.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/632/cloud-9

Does anyone have any good recommendations for two player games?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:17:02 PM »

None of these are two player, sorry, but here are some of my favorites:

Settlers of Catan.  Yeah, it's practically mainstream by now but still worth mentioning.  It's well-known for a reason: it's a seriously good game.

Carcassonne.  Tile-based crazy city-building game.  Very simple to play but with a lot of depth.  Actually I think you can play this with two players, but it's better with more.

Dominion.  A neat card-based (non-collectable) game that's actually several games in one.  Sure the objective is always the same but you chose a subset of the cards to use in any given game and the choice can change the winning strategy significantly.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:26:24 PM »

Settlers of Catan.  Yeah, it's practically mainstream by now but still worth mentioning.  It's well-known for a reason: it's a seriously good game.

Carcassonne.  Tile-based crazy city-building game.  Very simple to play but with a lot of depth.  Actually I think you can play this with two players, but it's better with more.

Dominion.  A neat card-based (non-collectable) game that's actually several games in one.  Sure the objective is always the same but you chose a subset of the cards to use in any given game and the choice can change the winning strategy significantly.

Carcassone looks fun, I'm going to have to give it a shot at some point. Yesterday I went to a local game store and did some exploring and saw that there w/ a billion expansion packs.

http://www.chicagolandgames.com/
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:29:27 PM »

One of the great things about Catan/Carcassonne is that there are solid XBLA and iOS versions of these games.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »

I really did enjoy the Carcassonne XBLA game. Not as fun as the tabletop version but at least a million times better to score with.

I haven't been much for board games for a few years. Last ones I played with any regularity was the Zombies game and Vampire: Prince of the City. A board game based on the Vampire: The Requiem PnP RPG. Both are fun, Zombies more having a good time fun and Vampire more screwing over your friends to win at a board game fun.

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 04:41:50 PM »

Apples to Apples! And Scrabble!

I also play Warmachine and Pathfinder.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:30:06 PM »

This is my favorite dice rolling game

In Ghettopoly,you work your way to own the ghetto.

Instead of railroads or utilities,you have strip clubs,pawn shops and liquor stores.

Instead of hotels and houses,you have crackhouses

Instead of playing pieces like tophats or cars,you get a pimp,a machine gun and a weed leaf.
Its like Monopoly but twisted into the ghetto style.The Chance cards are also neat : Your leg got shot in a drive by-pay the Hospital bill $200,You got your whole neighborhood addicted to crack-Go back 8 spaces.

Racist as hell too,my favorite board game easily.

(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »

Catan is a lot of fun, easy to learn, and pretty easy to set up.

A few others I like are

Zombies: Fun, campy Zombie-themed board game where the players are survivors trying to get to the helipad and killing lots of zombies, or getting killed by zombies, on the way. The board is built out of square cards that are added as the game continues along, so you'll have a different board (theoretically) each time.

Betrayal at House on the Hill: OMG is this game fun. Super easy to learn, quick to play, and has an even campier feel to it than Zombies! You build the board out of cards like in Zombies, but the game takes the randomization on step further by making one or more players the betrayer. Basically, there are two three rule books: one for general game play, a scenario book for normal players, and one for the traitor(s). Everyone chooses on one of the pre-generated characters with basic stats, and they explore the house. After a certain point, the traitor is revealed, and the game proceeds down one of 50 or so random scenarios based on classic horror tropes. The player(s) who is(are) the traitor(s) get the traitor rulebook and find the scenario and learn their objective, while the normal players get their scenario rulebook and learn their objective. The two sides then compete. One of the best board games I've ever played. One warning though, the recent release of the game has most of its parts made out of really shitty cardboard, and they will warp easy. Not unplayable, but the pieces won't lie flat. Not a two-player game unfortunately.

Arkham Horror:  This game is fucking crazy. It took me and my friends 6 hours to play through this game our first time through. It has a ton of rules, and is not easy to learn, but it is FUN. It's cooperative, as in you and the other players are investigators who need to stop one of the Old Ones from the Cthulhu Mythos from awakening and fucking shit up. You all win or lose together (most of the time). You fight monsters, explore a large map, collect items and seal otherwordly gates. It's almost like an extremely simplified Pen and Paper game. You can play it solo or up to like 6 players. Not an easy game, both times I played we barely succeeded, which makes things very exciting.

Outside of Betrayal, these games can be played two player, but are best with a group of 4 or more. But not having such a group doesn't make them not fun.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:59:18 PM by (Tunnels) » Logged
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »

Yoda, thank you for making this thread. Everyone else, thank you for these suggestions. I haven't played a good board game in so long and I really wouldn't mind investing in one. Now to see if I can organize my crew to actually get together and play any of these. They all sound pretty damn good.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:16 PM »

Drinking and playing a game called Dixit? Sounds dangerous.

Count me in.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »

This game is good. I found out about it 6 months ago and have played a ton since then.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »

"ideal for family gatherings and casual fun with friends"

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now, later brosephs and brosephinas.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 02:15:56 AM »

As mentioned before Arkham Horror is a decent game (if long winded like Risk and Monopoly are).

Agracolia (if I'm spelling that right) is a decent farm management simulator kinda like Harvest Moon the board game.

I've also been getting a kick of watching an online play of Dune: The Board Game. It's a game that's so well set up to where you'll likely need a partner to do well against everyone else but that you'll never have a moment where there isn't treachery and plans within plans abound.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »

The Resistance is a great social card game, as are Fluxx and Kung-Fu Fighting.

The best card/board game though is "Cards Against Humanity", an indie, self-published, open-source project that you can find right here, print off yourself, and get playing immediately. We had an all-night session from 10:00pm to 4:30am playing this game once, and it was non-stop fun.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »

Identity Crisis is fun if you have the right group of people to play with.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: