Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2014, 10:17:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331266 Posts in 13564 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  NOTHING EVER BOTHERS JULAAR!!!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: NOTHING EVER BOTHERS JULAAR!!!!!  (Read 2397 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2011, 02:36:21 PM »

Gotta come out and say it, everyone in this room needs to run out and grab a copy of the new Devin Townsend album, "Deconstruction". I've been listening to it now for about a month, and I can easilly say, it's one of my very favorite HEVY albums out there. If you're not already attuned to the chaotic genious of Canada's most crazy buddist metal God, then GET THE FUCK OUT!

For anyone who loves metal, but can laugh at the absurdity of it all, then this is YOUR kinda music. It's crazy, it's hillarious, it's artistic, hedonistic, and certifiably insane (Devy did stop taking his medication to write this one, after all). I would describe it as Danny Elfman does death metal, complete with choir and live symphony orchestra. The topics on the album range from lemantations about ripping off Meshuggah to "Savin' the wold boots" and last but not least, how one can gain cosmic enlightenment by anylizing a cheeseburger! I can't get enough of "Julaar" and the dramatic epic "The Mighty Masturbator." The sheer amount of stylistic influences on this album are astounding. You get 1950s bubblgum "bop she-bop" to electronic disco, to off-kilter Danny Elfman choral riffing.

Don't mean to read like an advertisement, but this album is so unique, so FUN! I can't help myself!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »

Sounds like its more out there then Ziltoid, which I loved. I will definitely check that out.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »

Your description brought GWAR to mind.  I will check this out.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:37:39 PM »

Sounds like its more out there then Ziltoid, which I loved. I will definitely check that out.

Yes, it's more out there than Ziltoid. But similar, in fact, it's probably the closest Devy's come to Ziltoid until... ZILTOID RETURNS! Devy's working on a second Ziltoid album as we speak :)

Honestly, though, as charming as Ziltoid is, musically it got a little old at times. This feels more like a band (Ziltoid wasn't) and has a much wider range of styles.

From the little Gwar that I've heard, I don't think there's much similarity. Devy's humor is usually pretty subtle and sophisticated (though there are some REALLY unsophisticated jokes on this album), more musical jokes than lyrical ones. Devin Townsend's musical style is pretty unique to himself. He takes the "wall of sound"  to Great Wall of China proportions. There's gotta be at least 50 audio tracks sounding at any given moment during his music. Deconstruction is no exception, in fact, this is possibly his most massive sound yet.

Imagine taking an epic metal band, with keyboards and all, then stick it inside the biggest, most resonant cathedral you can think of. Now imagine that just outside the cathedral are a symphonic choir, a symphony orchestra, a political protest, and the natural ambience of an urban environment. This will give you a bit of a picture of how massive Devin Townsend's productions are.

Needless to say, he's not only one of my musical heros, but audio production and engineering heros as well.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:25:50 PM »

Damn, I'm impressed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8u3R0fAb68   That is music typically reserved for less sarcastic messages.  His attitude here appeals to my punk side *gasp*

I'm really impressed musically (I get the Meshuggah joke already) but I'm also interested in this attitude he's got.  Is he always comical, or is there a story behind this?  Is he fed up with metalheads being so serious about their neo cyanide christ dragon swords?

edit:  looks like Devon Townsend is friends with GWAR actually... from wikipedia :
Beyond Hell was produced by Devin Townsend of Strapping Young Lad (Who also provided backing vocals in "Tormentor") and Cory Smoot. The album was demo'd and recorded in Corey Smoot's personal recording studio (christened SlavePit Studios) with the exception of Dave Brockie's vocals, which were done in Vancouver at Devin Townsend's studio.

He produced their "Beyond Hell" album.  Small world!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:42:07 PM by Fei » Logged

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »

Not surprising, he's produced quite a few metal bands.

As for story? I don't know, I've never really heard him be particularly acidic toward metal audiences... not like Steve Wilson or Tool. That seems to be a common theme with metal bands these days, sadly. Devin really doesn't put people down, at least not in the conventional sense. The attitude I'm getting from him on this album is more of, "I want to have fun", rather than outwardly accusing others of being too serious. He's just not that sort of guy. When I've heard him talk, he's always very personal and down to earth. He has suffered some severe depression and mental health problems, so he always comes across as someone who's pretty sympathetic to others and their uniquities.

But lately, he's really just been in an exploritory phase. Deconstruction wraps up a - album cycle known as "The Devin Townsend Project" that explores 4 totally different styles of music, and writing styles. Obviously, Deconstruction is his "insane and zanny as hell" side. The final album couldn't be more different, it's scerene new age music complete with natural sound recordings, wind instruments, and not a drop of metal. It's more like Enya than anything else. His album previous to Deconstruction, "Addicted", was fun (but not zanny) "commercial" metal. Before that, it was sort of a Pink Floyd-ish, low key but introspective work called "Ki". But before the Devin Townsend Project was "Ziltoid", a heavy metal rock opera surrounding an MS3K-style, B Sci-Fi story about an omniscient alien from another dimension who attempts to subjugate earth because we fail to make him good coffee.

Basically, the guy's a moving target, and he likes it that way. And I like him that way. You never know what you're going to expect. And instead of pointing fingers and saying, "you all are uncreative", which is becoming an increasingly common (and irritating) theme among musicians today, he just leads by example.

My take is that Devy loves metal, he loves metal fans, he loves new age, he loves punk, he loves zanny fun, and he loves the effect of aggressive sound while remaining personally scerene. He's a practicing Budhist, which really makes sense when you look at how much personal exploration he does, as well as his inclusiveness of different, disperate artistic styles.

He's worked with just about everyone by now, too. He can make the Mashuggah joke because he's friends with them and worked closesly with them on a number of projects. But at the same time, he found the Christian metal band "Becoming the Architype" incredibly fascinating to work with and talk to, and I just hear his name pop up as the producer for a number of different bands. It wouldn't surpise me if he's produced a lot of new age artists, he's obviously atuned to that style and very good at achieving that deep, infinite sound that a lot of them go for (I'm not much of a new age fan myself, most of the actual musical content is boring to me, but I can appreciate quite a bit of the production aspects of it).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »

I used to listen to Strapping Young Lad, too.

But before the Devin Townsend Project was "Ziltoid", a heavy metal rock opera surrounding an MS3K-style, B Sci-Fi story about an omniscient alien from another dimension who attempts to subjugate earth because we fail to make him good coffee.

I'm not sure what this is, but I think it's Dave Brockie (GWAR frontman) wearing a Ziltoid mask http://twitpic.com/1rghjs , and Devin Townsend praising him.  GWAR's whole schtick is the intergalactic evil badass thing, so this whole ... community, I guess, is getting more and more interesting to me.

I watched a Ziltoid transmission just now, hilarious.

Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 07:29:11 PM »

Oderus  Urungus did a cameo on SYL'S "Far Beyond Metal"
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 07:31:34 PM »

I don't even....

Bought!

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 11:27:04 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8062NiloUU&feature=related

Incredible.  His music is awesome, and I like who he is.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 12:03:30 PM »

Yep, Devin Townsend's someone that EVERYONE should listen to. I can't put it any better than Prime Mover did, so I'll keep this endorsement nice and short.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 12:33:06 PM »

Bought this yesterday all I have to say is CHEESE BURGER, CHEEESEBUURGER! Only Devin Townsend can make a cheeseburger seem like the most awesome thing in the universe. My favorite track on the album Is Sumeria. This album is awesome, and someone might want  to see about putting Devin in a straight  jacket.

As for story? I don't know, I've never really heard him be particularly acidic toward metal audiences... not like Steve Wilson or Tool. That seems to be a common theme with metal bands these days, sadly. Devin really doesn't put people down, at least not in the conventional sense.
Oh, if you are a sucky crowd Devin will Let you know about it in a comical way,though it is mainly meant to joke around with the fans. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYn47sYt6vM
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: