Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329312 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyria Chronicles 3 not coming to US and Europe, Sega blames you
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 3 not coming to US and Europe, Sega blames you  (Read 4051 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2011, 01:45:38 AM »

Found this on NeoGAF, source is Gamespot.

Never played a game from this series but I know that a lot of people were praying to play a localized version of VC3. And well, this is the news.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:59:04 AM »

Not surprising.  Name me one IP (with the exception of Yakuza) Sega hasn't taken a shit on(for VC putting it on the PSP)?

Oh well translation patch time.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:02:08 AM by Logick » Logged

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:02:03 AM »

They've been saying this for a while now so I'm not surprised. At least they have the decency to finalize it.

I can see why they didn't get the sales they wanted out of the first two games given that
A) the first game was the first RPG anything from Japan actually worth playing on the PS3 and a brand new series at that. Word of mouth was what saved it and the series in the first place. (And hell, we were lucky to have even gotten the first game given how keen Sega was about localizing it in the first place.)
B) the second game was a massive step back from the first one by making it revolve around stupid highschool anime drama (and moving it from the PS3 to the PSP but this was the lesser of the two problems).
C) the third game was a return to form compared to the previous one and a lot of people knew that, but they also knew that Sega was uncommitted as hell in bringing it over; so I could definitely see a bunch of self entitled pricks pirate the game rather than show some goddamn patience.

That said, hopefully Sega will learn from this and next time instead of bringing over the next Sonic bullshit they can say to themselves that "nobody wants it so we wont bother localizing it", and then we don't have to continuously watch that blue spiky hedgehog zombie drag its stupid friends with him all over the place, and they can save some of that precious monies.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 04:03:40 AM »

Yeah, I'm actually glad that Sega came out and made this official.  Makes the decision to import that much easier.  Usually companies just leave you hanging in uncertainty...

It's a weird situation.  The first game didn't do great in Japan and actually sold much better in the US, though not at first.  It had a really bad start (since Sega did absolutely nothing to advertise it) but gained enough positive buzz that it eventually sold pretty well (though not until after the price had dropped).  However by that point the decision to move the franchise to the PSP had likely already been made, and given the information available at the time I honestly don't think it was nearly as bad a decision as a lot of people make it out to be.  PSP games are cheaper to make, the PSP is absolutely huge in Japan, and it didn't initially look like there was a big market for the game overseas.

So then came VC2 which was a budget game in a lot of respects.  The gameplay was still rock solid but the story and presentation suffered.  Sega decided to bring it over thanks to all the positive attention the first game got, but in the end it sold like shit here because it's a PSP game and nobody seems to buy PSP games anymore (well, they never bought them much at all...).

From what I have read and played of the demo, VC3 looks like a big improvement over VC2.  It is a return to form in a lot of ways, but with refinements to the gameplay.  Even if you were put off by the presentation in VC2 you should still think about giving VC3 a shot (via importing, obviously...).

By the way, VC3 is getting a re-release with some extra content and 'budget' (for Japan, anyway...) pricing November 23.  If you were thinking about importing then you should probably wait for that version.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »

I think I am to blame because I bought VC1 in Japan ... I regret to this day when I didn't have a Ps3 and my cousin lent it to me and instead of VC1 I bought Resistance 2, only to hate it and trade it as soon as I could.

As for VC2, while the gameplay is worse due to those much smaller maps it was still enjoyable but those characters are the worst. Whenever I hear the main character speaks or makes a sound I just think he's retarded.
Honestly though, I think they'll release it for the PS Vita as a downloadable title. Maybe if they can talk to sony about not putting english voices to minimize costs they would just translate it, release and be done with it.

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:53:26 AM »

It really wouldn't have hurt Sega at all to, you know, actually advertise these games instead of being as quiet as possible about their releases.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »

A shame since I heard good things about the 3rd.  Then again, only so much about this series I actually liked... most detrimental to me really not too put out about more titles from this series was fitting stupid anime tropes in an anime/game about war.  I hated the 2nd title for being about "school life" and all that crap.

Der Jerm makes a good point... aside from Sonic, Sega is horrible at advertising other titles.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 12:42:19 PM »

It's a self-perpetuating cycle. Sega thinks it won't sell well, so they don't put any money on advertising, so it actually doesn't sell well because no one knows about it, and Sega then thinks no one liked it even though it was their fault no one knew about it. A lot of companies have that problem.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »

It's a self-perpetuating cycle. Sega thinks it won't sell well, so they don't put any money on advertising, so it actually doesn't sell well because no one knows about it, and Sega then thinks no one liked it even though it was their fault no one knew about it. A lot of companies have that problem.

I think this is really a strawman argument.  Games that are targeted toward niche markets have less wide-form advertising, yes.  This is a given - you want a marketing budget that matches your potential ROI.  However, with the marketing budget you do have, you target a very specific audience with that marketing.  You do PR campaigns and focus on getting the word out to fans who will potentially buy that title.

Now, I'm not arguing that Sega necessarily put their money in the right place - but to say that they don't spend money on advertising, when I remember seeing ads and PR campaigns for this, is a falsehood.  You can't hand every game a giant marketing budget and just assume it will sell more copies because it has more exposure - this was certainly a game with a very targeted US audience, and I have to assume they researched and marketed toward that segment.  That's why you saw no television ads or anything of the sort - there were magazine ads and banners on GameFAQs or IGN or wherever have you.  Because that's the most effective marketing with ROI for our segment of gamers.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »

Are you talking about VC1 or VC2?  I remember seeing some advertising for VC2, but there is literally nothing that I can recall for VC1.  I only knew the game existed at all because of previews and the like (i.e., third parties who took independent initiative to find games to talk about, rather than being paid to do so).

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:37:04 PM »

Are you talking about VC1 or VC2?  I remember seeing some advertising for VC2, but there is literally nothing that I can recall for VC1.  I only knew the game existed at all because of previews and the like (i.e., third parties who took independent initiative to find games to talk about, rather than being paid to do so).

I'm the opposite, I barely saw nothing [actually] for neither title.  And while VC one is the talk of town, helping its success, no one talks about the 2nd titles. 

And Keeper... you were talking about PR campaigns???  Maybe it's a States thing?

Either way.  Aside from GameFaqs or IGN or whatever (and maybe whatever gaming mags that still exist), can't say gaming adverts are still that common.  TV specifically, the only ones that do seem to get it are the game-of-the-year types.

I believe advertising can work wonders even for a shit product (hell, look at some of the multi-million dollar grossing blockbusters).  But it's funny how it works, still all the advertising won't help something people just aren't genuinely interested in.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »

Yeah, it's a shame quality tends to not have anything to do with how well something does or sells, and if lousy products do or sell well, that really sends the wrong message to companies who will continue to churn out more crap.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »

Well, I actually bought the games, so yeah. Anyways, like Kevadu said, I'm happy they made it official so I can just import the darn game...you know once I know Japanese. This ain't no Super Robot Wars we're talking about.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 04:18:46 PM »

And the PSP isn't region-coded so...yeah, import away.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »

I'm the opposite, I barely saw nothing [actually] for neither title.  And while VC one is the talk of town, helping its success, no one talks about the 2nd titles. 

I was talking specifically about advertising, not word of mouth stuff.  Yes the first game gets talked about more, but I don't remember it having any advertising at all.  And for that matter, nobody was talking about it prior to its release either.  The buzz for the game only built up slowly after the handful of people who actually did buy it at launch (I was one of those people, actually) kept talking about how great it was.  But initial sales were terrible.

I did actually see some advertising for VC2, but that's still not enough to overcome the fact that nobody seems to buy PSP games.  Plus the game was not as well-received critcally (and by fans) thanks to the poor story aspects we've already talked about.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: