Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 02:48:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337999 Posts in 13837 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyria Chronicles 3 not coming to US and Europe, Sega blames you
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 3 not coming to US and Europe, Sega blames you  (Read 4150 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 05:29:48 PM »

Are you talking about VC1 or VC2?  I remember seeing some advertising for VC2, but there is literally nothing that I can recall for VC1.  I only knew the game existed at all because of previews and the like (i.e., third parties who took independent initiative to find games to talk about, rather than being paid to do so).

I'm the opposite, I barely saw nothing [actually] for neither title.  And while VC one is the talk of town, helping its success, no one talks about the 2nd titles. 

I was talking specifically about advertising, not word of mouth stuff.  Yes the first game gets talked about more, but I don't remember it having any advertising at all.  And for that matter, nobody was talking about it prior to its release either.  The buzz for the game only built up slowly after the handful of people who actually did buy it at launch (I was one of those people, actually) kept talking about how great it was.  But initial sales were terrible.

I did actually see some advertising for VC2, but that's still not enough to overcome the fact that nobody seems to buy PSP games.  Plus the game was not as well-received critcally (and by fans) thanks to the poor story aspects we've already talked about.

The reason why nobody out here buys PSP games is because the PSP is already on its way out the door much like how the DS has already left the building. The primary US market is already focused on the 3DS and the Vita and the retail shelves reflect this. Unfortunately this coincides with the fact that the PSP got its second wind in Japan; which mostly stems from the fact that most third party developers are dragging their heels trying to cram as many releases as they can on the old platforms since they can put off having to relearn how the new platform works. The real problem with all this is the fact that the PSP wasn't really a success in any significant measure until this second wind hit, and rather than share this new found interest with markets outside of Japan they leave us with a mold covered PSP, a languishing DS, and an ignored 3DS. And of course to JRPG gamers outside of Japan who's genre of choice is by and large locked to said handhelds are basically screwed at this point since all the wells have mostly run dry. Hell even the consoles can't really throw us a bone since even the very occasional console release is being ignored.

The tl;dr is that JRPG gamers outside of Japan are fucking screwed right now.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »

Japanese tastes haven't really evolved by any means, it's nice that this renaissance of classic gaming existed on the DS and PSP.  I blame the DS' failures merely on the R4, I'm sure it lost a SHITLOAD of profit from that.

Oddly fortunate is the fantastic wave of tv-console games coming out this autumn/winter will be well satisfied until the Vita comes out.   All I hope for the Vita now is amazing PSP-support and I will throw money at them.  There were some gems for the PSP and DS as well.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 05:40:35 PM »

That and the PSPVita being region-free for Vita and PSP games.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »

Wow, where to I even begin dissecting this...

The reason why nobody out here buys PSP games is because the PSP is already on its way out the door much like how the DS has already left the building. The primary US market is already focused on the 3DS and the Vita and the retail shelves reflect this.

OK, so first of all we were talking about VC2 which came out well over a year ago.  How are the 3DS and Vita relevant?  PSP games have never sold well here, though it has become worse in recent years.

Unfortunately this coincides with the fact that the PSP got its second wind in Japan; which mostly stems from the fact that most third party developers are dragging their heels trying to cram as many releases as they can on the old platforms since they can put off having to relearn how the new platform works.

Utter bullshit mixed with off-topic ranting.  The only thing close to a fact in the above is that the PSP had a slow launch in Japan, but this 'second wind' you refer to is not a recent or isolated thing.  The system has been big there for a while now.  And plenty of developers (in both the east and west) are slow to embrace new hardware not because they are stupid or lazy but because it's much easier to sell games on a platform that has a large install base.

But how is this even relevant?  You are talking about a game that was released in Japan in January of 2010, so the 3DS and Vita are not part of the equation.  Since the first game was on the PS3 do you really think they switched platforms in order to "put off having to relearn how the new platform"?  Seriously?

They switched to the PSP because there have been a ton of PSPs sold in Japan.  It was the #1 selling system of 2010.

The real problem with all this is the fact that the PSP wasn't really a success in any significant measure until this second wind hit,

When did this 'second wind' of yours hit, anyway?  Seems more like a steady growth to me.  Yes Monster Hunter has been a huge influence, but even that serious didn't gain its following overnight.

and rather than share this new found interest with markets outside of Japan they leave us with a mold covered PSP,

To reiterate what started this conversation:  Nobody buys PSP games here.  That's not the fault of the developers or publishers.  What do you want them to do?

a languishing DS, and an ignored 3DS.

This isn't a localization issue.  The DS is an old system who's successor has already launched.  There aren't many big games on the horizon for it anywhere.  First you complain about Japanese developers not moving to new hardware, and now you're complaining about them moving on from old hardware...

And the 3DS doesn't have much of a lineup in Japan either yet.  Its lack of games here is hardly the result of 'ingoring' it.  But there were a lot of games shown for it at TGS so they're coming.  We're in a transition period.  It's always a little awkward.  But it's hardly doom and gloom looking forward.

And of course to JRPG gamers outside of Japan who's genre of choice is by and large locked to said handhelds are basically screwed at this point since all the wells have mostly run dry.

We got some great games this year.  Radiant Historia and Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for example.  We are missing out on a number of PSP games because, again, nobody here buys PSP games.  This is a business, not a charity.  Over the course of this rant you have come up with several convoluted excuses to place the blame anywhere but on the American consumer, but it just doesn't hold water.  PSP games have never sold well here, and as the system has gotten old that certainly hasn't improved.  Meanwhile in Japan it's more ubiquitous than the PS2 was in its day.  Japanese developers aren't going to ignore it, but they can't localize the games if people don't buy them.  It's an unfortunate situation, but you're ranting about the wrong thing.

Hell even the consoles can't really throw us a bone since even the very occasional console release is being ignored.

Other than Nintendo's antics with Xenoblade, Last Story, etc (which are getting European releases, at least) what major console releases have been ignored?  The track record there has actually been really good.

But hey, who needs facts.

Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »

Agree with Kendvu on most points. I think Sega's issue here is more or less they just don't advertise what they put out. I only heard about the Valkyria Chronicles series (the first game, anyway) by word of mouth. I think I might have seen one ad for VC2, but that was about it.

Shame it's not coming here, but at least I can import now without worries.

SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 05:11:12 PM »

It's not a shame, it's an outright travesty.  VC1 was absolutely phenomenal. 

And yeah, it is Sega's fault for having zero marketing.  Nobody is expecting what Skyrim or (insert FPS of choice) here would receive.  But there was NOTHING for VC2.  At least VC1 had a playable demo on PSN.

To make matters worse, the dedicated game stores like Gamestop dont even display these niche games.  I bought VC2 when it first came out, so I don't remember the circumstances behind that purchase.  But as a perfect modern example of this, I had preordered Devil Survivor: Overclocked for 3DS.  I got a text on my phone when the game arrived.  When I went in to pick it up, there was no box on the shelf for the game.  None of the workers had even heard of it.  They went in back and started cracking open boxes until finally someone found the lone copy they received.  And the only reason they got even that copy is because I preordered it!  The cashier looked at the back of the box as he was ringing me up and just kinda muttered too himself "huh, looks interesting, had no idea this existed.  And te EXACT same experience experience happened to me when I went in to pick up my Solatorobo.

Meanwhile, Best Buy has a massive display of COD: Black Ops.  A game that's a friggin year old...

Sorry, got off topic there, but how is ANY game supposed to succeed in an environment like that?  At least on the PS3, you've got a relevant system.

Not sure where I'm going with this rant, I'm just frustrated as hell.  That reply for Sega was nearly word for word what Capcom said about AAI2.  Justified or not, it leaves me steaming mad.

It'll only lead to the inevitable fan translation I guess.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 07:38:46 PM »

And yeah, it is Sega's fault for having zero marketing.  Nobody is expecting what Skyrim or (insert FPS of choice) here would receive.  But there was NOTHING for VC2.  At least VC1 had a playable demo on PSN.

Uh. VC2 had a demo too.

SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »

Guess it was hidden between all the FPS videos as I obviously missed in then.  Point remains, Sega did little to push this.
bobwps3

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »

It's not good news at all, but I don't really blame Sega, other than not marketing their new franchises enough.  Everyone gives them a lot of flack for "never making good games" when they have two excellent new IPs, Valkyria Chronicles and Yakuza.  It must be puzzling to their executives that people won't buy games like Valkyria Chronicles, considering it had higher reviews than it's competition, and had/has a very strong fan reception.  Part of the problem, at least for Valkyria Chronicles, is that most JRPG fans don't like SRPGs at all, (even though I love those type of games) so it was pretty much doomed to be a niche series.

I also do not get the dislike of the PSP in the US among JRPG fans.  It definitely had a glacial start, but I've met in person a number of fans of Japanese games who completely write off the system for bad marketing campaigns from 2006, as if that has anything to do with the games available on the system.  I ended up buying a PSP early this year, because the library appealed to me, and I think that others who want to play the games on the system should do the same instead of criticizing the system.

I still think that VC3 will be fan-translated, because the series has a big fan following.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »

I'm astounded that in the age of digital distribution, they still restrict themselves to one region. I'm sure that at the very least they would make double of what localising the game to English would cost.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 07:02:06 PM »

I'm astounded that in the age of digital distribution, they still restrict themselves to one region. I'm sure that at the very least they would make double of what localising the game to English would cost.

Japanese devs are still reluctant to embrace digital distro unfortunately :(

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
SquarePenix

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »

I kinda wish Vita (and 3DS) was digital only.  It'd force the issue.  Why do the Japanese rebel against this technology?  It's the ultimate gaming convenience.  You could theoretically download a game at the stroke of midnight, never have to worry that they will be out of stock, and it's only a few button clicks away.  Why would anyone prefer to waste gas driving to a store (or pay bus/train fare), fight a potential crowd, risk inventory being out of stock for a physical copy? 

You could even still have "premium" editions of downloadable games.  You could have your soundtracks in mp3 format instead of CD.  Artbooks in the form of ebook or visual novel.  Posters could be replaced by wallpaper or dynamic themes.  And the best part is there doesn't even have to be a limited amount of "premium" copies as there's no physical run of anything.

Anyone else agree with me?

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »

Kind of, but it's always nicer to have a physical copy of something because A) you don't need to worry as much about hard-drive space, B) you don't need to worry about the server going down for some reason and C) going out and buying a physical copy of something has a better feeling than just buying it off the internet because you put that much extra effort into the purchase.

Oh, and in terms of premium editions, I concede your point about soundtracks, but some people want posters so they can put them up on a wall, and what about the figurines that tend to come with special editions in Japan, and some American games? There's no good equivalent for downloadable copies.

Ultimately, it would just result in a bunch of fans accusing the company of being cheap.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:40:21 PM by Zendervai » Logged
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 04:51:32 PM »

I kinda wish Vita (and 3DS) was digital only.  It'd force the issue.  Why do the Japanese rebel against this technology?  It's the ultimate gaming convenience.  You could theoretically download a game at the stroke of midnight, never have to worry that they will be out of stock, and it's only a few button clicks away.  Why would anyone prefer to waste gas driving to a store (or pay bus/train fare), fight a potential crowd, risk inventory being out of stock for a physical copy? 

You could even still have "premium" editions of downloadable games.  You could have your soundtracks in mp3 format instead of CD.  Artbooks in the form of ebook or visual novel.  Posters could be replaced by wallpaper or dynamic themes.  And the best part is there doesn't even have to be a limited amount of "premium" copies as there's no physical run of anything.

Anyone else agree with me?

No, I don't agree. Its fine as an alternative, but I sure as hell wouldn't want it to be the only means of purchase. On a side note, the "premium" alternatives you proposed will have neither any value nor appeal compared to their physical counterparts making them mostly pointless.

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »

You know that Sony is requiring that every single Vita game is available digitally, right?  So if you want it to be digital-only, it can be.  What is there to complain about?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: