Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 12:03:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327421 Posts in 13406 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Nichijou
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Nichijou  (Read 3696 times)
RicJFNas

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2011, 06:15:35 AM »

Who here as watched this great anime? For me, it's the best high school comedy since Azumanga Daioh. When they ended I just wanted more.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:31:11 AM »

I finished it a few weeks ago. I thought it was slightly above average but I wouldn't call it great; at least from a Western point of view. Nichijou has the same problem for me that I have with other Japanese shows like Gaki No Tsukai; a lot of the humor is just "too" Japanese, even with translation. Amplifying this problem is whenever it stumbles into one of those "Why is this supposed to be funny?" moments it drags on waaaaay too long (in fact never have I seen such a case where the Monty Python "Get on with it!!!" was more appropriate than these moments). The only thing that saves it and gives it an decent rating is when the humor hits...it really hits; not to mention it can be rather adorable and heartwarming at times. It's definitely a mixed bag show.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 08:38:06 AM »

I finished it a few weeks ago. I thought it was slightly above average but I wouldn't call it great; at least from a Western point of view. Nichijou has the same problem for me that I have with other Japanese shows like Gaki No Tsukai; a lot of the humor is just "too" Japanese, even with translation.

Why should this show, not coming from the West, be held up to Western standards (whatever those are)?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »

Kinda besides the point.  He's stating *his* view from a *western* opinion. =/
And it's true... it *is very Japanese* humour that can make it tough to love at times.  It's like when you need to be told why a joke was funny when you didn't get it.

I watched it a bit too.  It wasn't my cup of tea, but a friend of mine was crazy for it.  Some of the tropes were a bit too much for me (I found the robot-schtik with the giant turn-key not wanting to reveal she's a robot was stupid), but some parts were extreme, and stuff I'd never thought would be done.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RicJFNas

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »

Yeah, I guess one needs to understand a bit about japenese culture and such to fully apreciate the anime, causing those who like more western comedy to shy away. But still, I think think this show deserves good attention. It nows what it is and how to do it.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »

And it's true... it *is very Japanese* humour that can make it tough to love at times.  It's like when you need to be told why a joke was funny when you didn't get it.

My point isn't saying his view is invalid, but maybe to try and challenge himself to go beyond that view. I am not saying he has to like it at all, but that perhaps it shouldn't be viewed under or held to a standard it isn't trying to achieve. Sure it's his opinion, but that doesn't make it beside the point.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »

There's nothing to 'challenge'. If you are Japanese (or have studied the culture), you'll get the jokes. If you aren't, you will miss some/most.

Here's an example:

Me and 2 other guys were translating a one-shot chapter and one of the joke was about the writing style of an author whose book is read by most Japanese school children.

It took us 2 entire weeks to even understand the joke through tons of research, and in the end, we just wrote a new joke over it, stating in the credits that if they want the original joke, they should be able to read the untranslated version. Else it's pretty much impossible to get it.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:43:50 PM by Annubis » Logged
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 03:46:39 PM »

My point isn't saying his view is invalid, but maybe to try and challenge himself to go beyond that view. I am not saying he has to like it at all, but that perhaps it shouldn't be viewed under or held to a standard it isn't trying to achieve. Sure it's his opinion, but that doesn't make it beside the point.

Edit: XD Annubis beat me to the punch. Pretty much saying what I'm saying only more succinctly.

I think you're missing my point by a bit of misinterpretation. Off the top of my head the closest analogy I can make is that the humor in Nichijou doesn't translate to a westerner the same way farm humor doesn't translate to a city person, traditionally anyway. (Or like how someone from Japan might not understand why it's funny that a certain Transformer is voiced by Weird Al to go a little more niche.) It has nothing to do with view limitations; it simply has to do with the fact that I wasn't born in Japan. When you're born into a culture and have lived there all your life you pick up on the local humor, the colloquialisms, ect. Things that you would only understand if you have an active knowledge of the culture if you lived in it for quite some time.

Now if I had spent the last year or two living in Japan I might've been able to more often go "Oh, that's why that's funny." right off the bat. If I have to spend hours browsing around Wikipedia and random anime forums to find people who actually know the joke and can explain it; then it has long past lost it's ability to entertain me/make me laugh.

Hence why I said the show's is hit or miss from a "western perspective".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:13:48 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »

Heh, hard to appreciate a comedy genre series with jokes you can't understand. :P

Anyways, I thought it was alright.  I remember reading the Azumanga Daioh manga, they had to "write over" jokes just to make the flow better (again, with an appendix in the back to reference whatever),

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 03:53:13 PM »

Yeah, I tried it, but it wasn't my kinda show. I dunno if it was too Japanese or what, but I just know it made me cringe more than it made me laugh. Of course, Sgt. Frog was the only Japanese comedy series I ever liked, so take that for what you will.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »

It nothing else it's impossible not to appreciate some of the meta-jokes that have been born from it.

For example: If you thought the falling wiener was over the top funny before...
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »

It nothing else it's impossible not to appreciate some of the meta-jokes that have been born from it.

You know, I didn't actually find that funny before, but now...XD

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
RicJFNas

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 04:38:03 PM »

I didn't knw about this video. Brilliant! Wonder what else people can come up with with all the crazy scenes this anime has. And honestly I don't think one needs to know much about japanese culture to got the most of this show.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »

I didn't knw about this video. Brilliant! Wonder what else people can come up with with all the crazy scenes this anime has. And honestly I don't think one needs to know much about japanese culture to got the most of this show.

Maybe this

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
RicJFNas

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 07:31:29 AM »

This is just a normal clip from an espisode, but this one alone shows how crazy this anime is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApKE01R9DyY
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: