Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 05:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXIV 2.0 - Holy Shit!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: FFXIV 2.0 - Holy Shit!?  (Read 47496 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »

you know im kinda glad im not in the alpha if its just mithra/hume male

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2012, 03:41:14 AM »

I think that this is now one of my favorites moments in the series. Really enjoyed the whole thing though.

*saved*

Many thanks!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2012, 11:31:26 AM »

Yoshida: Another Mistake Like FF14 Would "Destroy" Square

I'm not one to hate for the sake of hating but if really wish Se would just improve the game as it is (for whoever is playing) instead of trying to pretend they will make a new game out of it.
I was one that even not being a fan of MMOs was willing to give FFXIV a shot but considering how it turned out to be, it could turn into the best MMO ever with this re-release and still most people, I believe, would not care.

About it being "destroyed", I seriously doubt it. They still have a ton of franchises and now great games coming from Eidos as well. If they were to ever have a money trouble, all they had to do is release some new Dragon Quest for the 3DS in Japan and they would be fine again.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2012, 12:05:21 PM »

About it being "destroyed", I seriously doubt it. They still have a ton of franchises and now great games coming from Eidos as well. If they were to ever have a money trouble, all they had to do is release some new Dragon Quest for the 3DS in Japan and they would be fine again.

Square Enix now has this studio in Montreal that is working in a new Hitman game.

http://www.square-enix-montreal.com/

This doesn't have anything to do with Eidos Montreal by the way.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »

That's very simplistic thinking. You're not taking into account the sheer scope of most of their FF projects. The games cost boatloads to produce, develop, amd promote. XIV is probably costing them millio.s of dollars per month to maintain while they work on 2.0, and their other projects. Considering most of their recent ventures have been fairly low end in profit ( how many copies of XIII-2 did they sell worldwide?), and with their aquisition of eidos which probably cost a lot more than they've recovered as of yet, I doubt another catastrophe like XIV would be possible  without squeenix going bankrupt. Granted, I'm basing all my comments here on information I've read from forums and headlines on news sites, but I'd be surprised if my statements are far from accurate.

On the otherhand, assuming XIV 2.0 won't do well just because of the shitstorm of crap.XIV was is a bad assumption. SE's playerbase is dedicated enough to go and try it no matter how god awful it will be. Another benefit is the sheer lack of a good, addictive, current gen console mmo to play. XI os the only option as of now, and seeing as the PS2 support is getting cut soonish, I expect a large number of FF fans jumping ship to XIV. I know I'm gonna give it a shot at ps3 launch, and I spent the better part of 2 years being depressed at how shitty XIV turned out in the first place.

TASTY!
Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2012, 09:04:21 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you for the most part. It's just I put myself in this category of fans that are willing to try their stuff. As I said, I'm not into MMOs, hell I even played FFXI, hated it and was still eager to try XIV.
Also I think I expressed myself wrong in regards to dropping XIV. I didn't mean to say drop the game entirely, just improve it as it goes instead of pretending it's a new game. As long as it has XIV in its name, it's bound to be tarnished by people.

Even The Old Republic, an MMO which got a much better reception had troubles maintaining a subscription based model, how is XIV any different?
My humble opinion on the matter is that they should have left the game free, as it were when they realized everyone was dropping the game. Maybe then, improving it a lot, new people would be willing to try it. They would get the money for the sold game or just make it free and put some micro transaction on it (which I know they wouldn't be easy to implement but given how things were, that would be the least of their problems).

Anyway, I hope the game turns out good. If not for me giving it a chance someday, for the people who bought it and like us, are fans of the series and despite the internet hating would like to see it do fine.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »

Even The Old Republic, an MMO which got a much better reception had troubles maintaining a subscription based model
The problem isn't the subscription based model.  It never has been a problem.  World of Warcraft still sees tremendous success, as does the much smaller but still very successful Eve Online.  They both do what they do exceptionally well.  The Old Republic couldn't retain subscribers because Bioware failed to produce meaningful content updates post-launch.  If you do not provide the means for your playerbase to remain entertained, they will leave, especially if the competition actively updates their games.

The success or failure of FFXIV and the subscription model it is using will depend largely on the content they provide at launch and their ability to continue delivering more content.  People want value for their $10-$15/month subscription.  If you provide it, people will pay it.  If they aren't forthcoming with their update schedule and what they plan to bring to their playerbase, they will move on.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »

Even The Old Republic, an MMO which got a much better reception had troubles maintaining a subscription based model
The problem isn't the subscription based model.  It never has been a problem.  World of Warcraft still sees tremendous success, as does the much smaller but still very successful Eve Online.  They both do what they do exceptionally well.  The Old Republic couldn't retain subscribers because Bioware failed to produce meaningful content updates post-launch.  If you do not provide the means for your playerbase to remain entertained, they will leave, especially if the competition actively updates their games.

The success or failure of FFXIV and the subscription model it is using will depend largely on the content they provide at launch and their ability to continue delivering more content.  People want value for their $10-$15/month subscription.  If you provide it, people will pay it.  If they aren't forthcoming with their update schedule and what they plan to bring to their playerbase, they will move on.

I disagree, the problem with ToR is that it was going for the exact same market slice as WoW, which was dumb. They could have released meaningful content updates til they were blue in the face, that game was still gonna tank.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

I disagree, the problem with ToR is that it was going for the exact same market slice as WoW, which was dumb. They could have released meaningful content updates til they were blue in the face, that game was still gonna tank.

I don't agree.  They already had a nice subscriber base past the free trial period, a bit shy of 2 million which is certainly more than enough to be a successful MMO.  They just didn't stick around because there was no reason to do so.  It wasn't until seven months past launch that their subscriber numbers finally dwindled to under a million.  And is it really any surprise?  Seven months is a long time to not have any serious updates.

Anecdotal evidence is generally pretty meh, but a great number of coworkers, friends, and so forth that I know all had a great time playing.  We all stopped playing eventually though.  Why?  Because it was similar to World of Warcraft?  Nah.  We all quit because we ran out of stuff to do.  If they had kept adding content, my coworkers, friends, and I would all still be subscribed.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2012, 01:20:09 AM »

I can appreciate that. But I'd be interested to know how many of their players "finished" the game. I've never had the patience to do "everything" in any MMO... well, except LOTRO. I got to the max level and then they released the Moria expansion, ROBBING ME OF MY SENSE OF COMPLETION!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2012, 06:57:55 AM »

FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn -- The Black Shroud, Part 2 (Alpha)
pseudonym

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2012, 04:01:04 AM »

I like open ended games, but there is a fine line between being engaging and open ended and annoying and open ended. This one, from its appearance, seems to be the latter.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2012, 04:50:18 AM »

I'm going to have to second Parn's assessment on why SWTOR tanked and raise a point about the game being solo-centric to the detriment of group content, broken raids as well as spreading the playerbase far too thin on all servers initially. It didn't help that the game had no content finder and a very un-optimized graphics engine at the start. I don't think anyone who played SWTOR had a bad time, just when you got to 50 and finished your story, there just wasn't much impetus to continue playing unless grinding was your thing. A steady stream of episodic content and a more realistic approach to encouraging a community would have helped tremendously.
There's a reason why FFXI still maintains a subscription after a decade, despite its limitations. It builds upon its foundations and many people are happy with that.

Also, for those who discount FFXIV being rebranded as a new game, it really needs to be looked at an entirely new experience. We had this discussion a while ago, but it was my belief that in order to save the game, the game not only had to be remade completely but it would have to be totally rebranded as well. The stigma of FFXIV was so bad nothing short of disassociation from the original would work. Well, not only has it been rebranded as "A Realm Reborn," they've recreated the game from the ground up.

I've picked ver 1.0-1.23b to peices and I've seen and received enough feedback from the alpha to be fairly confident that outside of art assets, you wouldn't recognize the game from its previous iteration. I'm not trying to be a White Knight for the game, but right now it seems like ARR is shaping up to be the successor to FFXI we all hoped to play and then some. Square Enix has way too much already invested to ham fist a relaunch, and I think we all owe the game another spin when it happens. I think most people are looking at it with an air of cautious optimism. When we have an actual release date and the NDA drops, is when the real feeding frenzy will begin.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »

so far the official trailers for the reboot have been lame as hell. my favorite part is when they enter a dungeon then dont attack anything...

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2012, 09:47:46 PM »

so far the official trailers for the reboot have been lame as hell. my favorite part is when they enter a dungeon then dont attack anything...

What trailers are you talking about? The alpha trailers have just been showing off the zones. I don't think they're ready to show combat off in any grand fashion yet. There's only been a couple snippets of action in the Limit Break and Adventurers Unite teasers. I wouldn't expect any real publicity trailers showing full gameplay till its in beta at least.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: