Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 08:19:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331879 Posts in 13590 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXIV 2.0 - Holy Shit!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: FFXIV 2.0 - Holy Shit!?  (Read 45915 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2012, 04:13:29 AM »

New video is up of instance play. This is Tam Tara Deepcroft, a level 15-20 dungeon. Please keep in mind this is from the alpha and is very low level, so combat still needs alot of tweaking.

FFXIV: ARR Alpha Dungeon video

edit - wow, they really love their mouse clicking gameplay. I really wish they would just play it normally instead of feeling the intense need to show off all the tooltips. That 3 second GCD needs to go. Jesus.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:15:51 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Humbert Humbert

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2012, 04:14:07 PM »

The way they move the mouse reminds me a lot of Dora The Explorer, which comforts me.
ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2012, 07:41:43 PM »

Wow, slightly pissed off here.

My mother knows I loved FF as a kid and when she asked my wife she found out I didn't have XIV. She bought it for me for Christmas (for $39.99). I have been working a lot, without much time to game, but I have 2 very light months starting Jan 1st and so I happily opened the game and went to register... HA.

I'm lost as to why a MMO PC game was stocked in stores when they were taking the servers down and killing it. I've never played XIV so I'm not super interested in leaving this thing sit here for 6 months before ARR release and either paying or getting that at a discount.

They should have pulled this game from shelves far earlier.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »

Square issued a recall on all copies of Final Fantasy XIV to retailers months ago.  The game is not supposed to be sold any longer.  Some retailers chose not to listen, though.
Sanhime

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »

If you purchase the original FF14, do you need to buy it again when 2.0 is finally release?
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2012, 10:58:41 PM »

You don't.  You just can't register it right now.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2012, 01:18:53 AM »

i hope they dont pull that $60 bs with the ps3 version. on that note does anyone know if i can use a usb hdd to expand my ps3 storage space? i have a 160gb slim and im down to 12 gigs left.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: December 30, 2012, 02:46:28 AM »

i hope they dont pull that $60 bs with the ps3 version. on that note does anyone know if i can use a usb hdd to expand my ps3 storage space? i have a 160gb slim and im down to 12 gigs left.

You know they will. They have to recoup redevelopment costs some way. The small population that continued to pay during 1.0 was in no way enough to cover their initial R&D on top of maintaining servers and updating the old client for 2 years on top of the new version.  Honestly if SE didn't have as much capital as it does, or as much ego centrism as it does, FFXIV would have been shelved within months of release. PS3 owners will be getting the game everyone should have gotten 2 years ago, I think having them pay full price is reasonable. What would be unforgivable is trying to sell 2.0 to PC players who dropped $60-$80 on 1.0.

They will still be selling ARR for PC and digital distribution for full MSRP, but they're not double charging anyone. Previous users will get another free month of service before billing starts when ARR launches.

In response to your PS3 question, you can use any USB storage media to backup system files, save games etc, but you can't use it as an installation source for game data, so you'll have to move stuff over as backup and clear your HDD to make room or upgrade to a bigger HDD.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2012, 03:57:26 AM »

Why would $60 be unreasonable when that's the standard price of most games on the system?
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: December 30, 2012, 12:50:18 PM »

Why would $60 be unreasonable when that's the standard price of most games on the system?
Because selling the equivalent (superior) version on pc for 40 bucks generally pisses console users off.

TASTY!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »

Not that any of this really matters because the game will be priced at $40 on PS3.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2012, 02:53:57 PM »

Not that any of this really matters because the game will be priced at $40 on PS3.
Legit, yo.

TASTY!
Humbert Humbert

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »

So for those who've participated in the alpha, how are this game's chances looking? Is the combat fluid and quick enough to attract less MMO-savvy players? Does the interface work well in practice? Does it retain enough unique elements from 1.0 to separate itself from WoW?

Inquisitive minds etc. etc.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: December 30, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »

Oh, they have an MSRP already? $39.99 is much more reasonable for all platforms.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: December 30, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »

So for those who've participated in the alpha, how are this game's chances looking? Is the combat fluid and quick enough to attract less MMO-savvy players? Does the interface work well in practice? Does it retain enough unique elements from 1.0 to separate itself from WoW?

Inquisitive minds etc. etc.

It's hard to really say at this point because of how limited the alpha content was. You can get a general idea from the official videos, sans the Dora the Explorer-style clicking ;p I think even relatively newbie MMO players will find the game easy to get into (though the jury is still out on the controller interface since they haven't implemented it yet), as the layout, controls and tutorial are very standard for the genre. Which is a huge improvement, because you didn't get much of any instruction in 1.0. What was available in the alpha was an organic, intuitive and logical progression for a newcomer. In regards to unique elements, there just wasn't enough content to really answer that question - BUT, the world itself feels like a true Final Fantasy setting. The variety of the zones, the attention to detail, the music: everything just felt whole. FFXI 1.0, despite all the improvements they made before the servers went down, felt more like an engine tech demo than an actual world. I think the comparison to WoW will be unavoidable, as it's ubiquitous for the genre, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm still coming to grips with that question though. Despite all the improvements, does it really "feel" like it's own game or just a mash up?

I'll be completely honest. For a really long time I wanted to see a game that married the conveniences of WoW with the lore and world of a Final Fantasy. Having played a half dozen games that emulate the WoW form factor, I can say that I was getting a little tired of it. Games like TERA, Aion, Perfect World, Rift etc. *scream* WoW clone in design, but hold their own because people fall in love with their combat/crafting/raiding/world/graphics. When FFXIV 1.0 came out it was so lacking in basic MMO functionality that seeing them in ARR was a significant relief. But, I can't help feel like something was lost in merging what made an FFO MMO so different than the norm with the niceties of genre expectations. My first impression when I was playing the alpha was part shock and disappointment. I was in shock because the game had changed so significantly, it felt like I was playing a completely new game save for my familiarity with landmarks, NPCs etc. The disappointment came when I looked at the quest log and realized that once again, fetch questing survives another generation. Of course, questing, no matter how mundane will always remain a staple of any RPG - but I guess because everything else was so completely new, I was secretly hoping to see something new in that respect also. But again, as such a limited content was available, it's impossible to really judge the finished product. The combat system is no where near complete, animations still require tuning, the combo system still needs alot of adjustments, the limit break system isn't even in yet, neither are the F.A.T.E. and new behest and hamlet systems. But even in it's limited and incomplete state, I can see their vision, and it's impressive.

Do I think the game deserves another spin for newcomers and jaded former players? Absolutely! After seeing the miracles they performed with ver. 1.0 and thus far with ARR, I have a lot of confidence in Yoshi-P and his crew to deliver the game fans want. It is not FFXI 2.0 as the forum whiners keep dreaming about, but its a significant step into bringing an FF world into the modern MMO genre and has the potential to introduce gamers to the series who may have never touched an offline FF before - there's that much fan-service planned. The open beta will be the real trial by fire with the public, and with beta characters carrying over into the retail release, I think everyone should take advantage of that free test drive and form their own opinions.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:10:37 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: