Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 02:47:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327154 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FFXIV 2.0 - Holy Shit!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: FFXIV 2.0 - Holy Shit!?  (Read 42270 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »

It is, oversimplified, your standard theme park MMO in terms of functionality and interface.  It has the Final Fantasy feel to it, and content-wise, it is clear they're intending to take elements of various newer MMOs and implementing them accordingly (dynamic events for example).  I don't expect a reinvention of the house, but I do expect a good house.  They have the foundation to make it happen with their new engine.  If the alpha had been a travesty, I'd have moved on yet again.  I was surprised to see it run as well as it did in alpha, which is phenomenally better than how FFXIV 1.0 ever ran even after dozens of patches.

They've given me nothing but good vibes so far.  They've been forthcoming every step of the way.  I'm definitely onboard.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2013, 06:19:21 AM »

FFXIV Beta Test Application site is live.

Go go go!

Intro video is up too right here.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:21:12 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:31 AM »

Disappointed in the trailer. More than half of the video is the old End of an Era trailer, and the new stuff seems very disjointed. They obviously cut some spoken dialogue out from when the adventurers appear. I have a feeling this is not the "complete" trailer. After how amazing the end of the world was, you'd think the rebirth of the new world would be more grandiose. It's almost as messy as the first ARR trailers with that horrible VA. Here's hoping there's a more complete, less janky intro in the works.
Embryon
RPGFan Editor

Achieve enlightenment.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »

I personally thought it was incredibly well-done. I'd rather have no dialogue than bad dialogue. The fact that we've already seen the "End of an Era" bit doesn't make it any less impressive. It probably would've had more of an impact if they had released it all at once, but either way, I'm satisfied. Super hyped for this.

"Man up and take your handjob." - dyeager
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:40 PM »

edit - wow, they really love their mouse clicking gameplay. I really wish they would just play it normally instead of feeling the intense need to show off all the tooltips. That 3 second GCD needs to go. Jesus.

I read somewhere that the GCD lowers as you level up.  Doesn't really make sense, but that's what I heard "multiple times".

*shrug*

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2013, 11:37:45 PM »

i hope you can turn off the foot step sounds in the game. either that or non present music drowns them out.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2013, 02:44:44 AM »

edit - wow, they really love their mouse clicking gameplay. I really wish they would just play it normally instead of feeling the intense need to show off all the tooltips. That 3 second GCD needs to go. Jesus.

I read somewhere that the GCD lowers as you level up.  Doesn't really make sense, but that's what I heard "multiple times".

*shrug*

Nope, total fallacy. GCD didn't change at all on level up and was one of the major complaints folks had in the alpha. Will it stay, who knows. My guess is they will leave it as is and allow haste itemization.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2013, 02:54:11 AM »

I personally thought it was incredibly well-done. I'd rather have no dialogue than bad dialogue. The fact that we've already seen the "End of an Era" bit doesn't make it any less impressive. It probably would've had more of an impact if they had released it all at once, but either way, I'm satisfied. Super hyped for this.

Still standing by my opinion. Is it cool? Yes. Could it have been much better? Most definitely. There's no real cohesiveness in the aftermath footage, which after the apocalypse just doesn't flow right for me. Grand companies riding >flash>Circle of Knowing NPCs> flash> Odin > flash > Behemoth + Crystal Tower > flash > Adventurers appear > muted dialogue from Rogaedyn Paladin > flash > Chocobos from nowhere > Riding off towards strange new landmark that is poorly visible due to oversized logo. What exactly does that tell anyone?

Probably the biggest offender is the fact that they kept the majority of the End of an Era trailer totally secret, and now we get an extended version with "new" footage that was already spotlighted in nearly 3 earlier trailers with next to no cohesion. There's perhaps 15 seconds of actually new footage in an almost 9 minute long trailer. That's just lazy.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:57:22 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »

Still standing by my opinion. Is it cool? Yes. Could it have been much better? Most definitely. There's no real cohesiveness in the aftermath footage, which after the apocalypse just doesn't flow right for me. Grand companies riding >flash>Circle of Knowing NPCs> flash> Odin > flash > Behemoth + Crystal Tower > flash > Adventurers appear > muted dialogue from Rogaedyn Paladin > flash > Chocobos from nowhere > Riding off towards strange new landmark that is poorly visible due to oversized logo. What exactly does that tell anyone?

Probably the biggest offender is the fact that they kept the majority of the End of an Era trailer totally secret, and now we get an extended version with "new" footage that was already spotlighted in nearly 3 earlier trailers with next to no cohesion. There's perhaps 15 seconds of actually new footage in an almost 9 minute long trailer. That's just lazy.

I agree with Derek. It's an MMO intro-- it isn't meant to tell you anything. It's meant to look pretty and be full of meaningless crap. See: every WoW intro. At least this one made me think FINAL FANTASY!

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2013, 07:11:14 AM »

to me its very reminiscant of the FFXI intro. except FFXI's is more bizzare because you wonder how those adventurers got to the taznazian archipelego.

Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2013, 06:38:50 PM »

so im doing some research and i gotta say what the heck did SE do to elves in FFXIV. they were melee kings in FFXI along side galka. now at least in ver. 1.0 they have middle of the road str and pitiful vit. one of the mithra types also has more str than both elf types. im not complaining its just weird one of the human types has the highest base str. this may require some thought since i originally chose elvaan because of there being no skin tone slider. being well stated for melee was just a bonus.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2013, 10:02:58 PM »

so im doing some research and i gotta say what the heck did SE do to elves in FFXIV. they were melee kings in FFXI along side galka. now at least in ver. 1.0 they have middle of the road str and pitiful vit. one of the mithra types also has more str than both elf types. im not complaining its just weird one of the human types has the highest base str. this may require some thought since i originally chose elvaan because of there being no skin tone slider. being well stated for melee was just a bonus.

That statistical variances in races is honestly a misnomer for 1.0. Between stat allocation between jobs/level up and gear itemization, there is no clear cut "better" race for certain jobs outside of HP/MP pool, and even that gap can be bridged by gear stacking. Unless they decide to add racial abilities (which would be new for them) ,choosing a race is more a cosmetic choice than anything truly impactful. For the longest time stats meant absolutely nothing in ver. 1.0 (naked batraal runs come to mind). We will have to see how things flesh out in beta in terms of stat impact on performance. Also remember that even though the races are cosmetically identical to FFXI, they aren't the same so don't expect them to simply copy paste the old hierarchy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:33:03 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »

I agree with Derek. It's an MMO intro-- it isn't meant to tell you anything. It's meant to look pretty and be full of meaningless crap. See: every WoW intro. At least this one made me think FINAL FANTASY!

Wow, you couldn't be more off base. The End of an Era footage was the cinematic culmination of nearly a year long storyline. For those of us who actually played through the entirety of the end of the sixth Astral Era, that cutscene was extremely important in terms of lore and was a capstone to a legacy. The fact that the participants of those events are also highlighted in the aftermath are meant to give a point of reference and context for this next age. So no, it's not filled with "meaningless crap," they just did a terrible job providing sensible context with the new footage. The intros to FFXI and FFXIV ver. 1.0 both had major storyline implications (that became quite clear as you played the games) and ARR is no different as its basically the sequel to FFXIV. I'm glad it made you think of Final Fantasy, but its got a lot more depth behind it than you give it credit for. Drawing a comparison with a WoW intro makes zero sense.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »

never mind
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:03:17 AM by Alisha » Logged

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog

First nighttime shots.  All I can say is, wow.  It... actually looks like nighttime.

Also, note the not-so-subtle troll towards Final Fantasy XI players at the bottom.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: