Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 12:33:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341126 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  I hit that "point" in my life...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I hit that "point" in my life...  (Read 2349 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2006, 09:08:20 PM »

Over the Summer, when the friends were busy, work wasn't scheduled, and there wasn't any car at home, games were always a fun way to pass the time.  But, despite several of these kind of moments happening, games just...didn't help.  I could play various types of games, and they just weren't cutting the way they used to.  They're still fun, y'know, when the occasional shin-dig with a friend or two or three.  But, they've just stopped appealing to me.

Anyone else at that point?  I still find myself interested in them; like still trying to find out what the hell is happening in the Final Fantasy 13 trailer, but can't seem to bring myself to really enjoy them like in the old days.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 09:46:50 PM »

Maybe you just have video game burnout.  Where games start to feel like an obligation, chore, or work rather than the fun diversion they should be.  Take a break from gaming, do something else (like exercise, cook, play an instrument, take a walk outside, whatever) and eventually you'll return to it with a renewed vigor.

Believe me, there have been times I've had multiple bouts of gaming burnout in a year.  These days my time for gaming is so limited due to real life and my other hobbies, so whenever I sit down to game it's like a treat.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 09:52:59 PM »

I've had burnout, but usually only for the RPG genre. For games on a whole, I tend to be able to break out of burnout if I stop deciding I have to beat Game X before others, and just play whatever I feel like - I couldn't be bothered to play Suikoden V, but I really felt like playing VS, put that in, and tore through it in a week.

On the other hand, I put in BoF:DQ because I felt like playing it, and only got half way before I stopped.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 10:07:36 PM »

I've been through about four RPG burnout phases in my life (Burnout: Cycle is a game!! I was about to say it but I used "phases" instead).

They usually happen to me around console generation changes, though one happened right in the middle of the PS1 era because of personal reasons.

So, I should be hitting a burnout soon. Considering my next RPG on the plate is Enchanted Arms...yeah, it might be about time. :P

Ramza

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 10:56:30 PM »

Normally I'm inclined to agree, its a burnout, or whatever.  But even with other activities, in fact, maybe its because of other activities, games have just generally stopped appealing to me.  Fuck, I mean, I don't even want to play freakin' Valkyrie Profile 2!!!!  And everyone wants to play that!! =P (I mean the last two sentances with both sarcasm and some truth)

I don't mind though.  Games are bloody costly, and I've found other things to do, really.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Shooichi

rjmoriarty83
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 12:43:54 AM »

I had to sell all my games and systems to to accomodate my move to Oregon. At the time it felt great. I was bored with video games as a whole and I needed the money. However, about three months later with no video games, I've found that World of Warcraft is a welcome treat. I'm looking forward to getting an income specifically so I can begin rebuilding my collection.

Starting fresh seems to be part of the appeal to me. I used to have an unbearable amount of unbeaten games in my collection, and I could count the numbers of video games I had beaten on one head. Yeah, I'm one of those gamers.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 02:53:09 AM »

I refuse to sell my games, but yeah, I understand what you mean. I haven't sat down and REALLY played through a game in years. That is sad. I started Tales of Legendia, but it's been boring me.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 08:28:44 AM »

More than burnout, most people find eventually that their interests aren't limited to video games.  Lately I tend to take a long time finishing RPGs, because I'm programming, reading, playing instruments, writing, and watching videos.  As a result I don't buy games too often anymore, and when I do play it's not very often an RPG.  It's not burnout exactly; it's just difficult to do a round-robin with a game that requires a lot of brain real-estate.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »

Quote from: "Miho"
I refuse to sell my games, but yeah, I understand what you mean. I haven't sat down and REALLY played through a game in years. That is sad. I started Tales of Legendia, but it's been boring me.

In fairness Tales of Legendia sucks :P
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 12:02:12 PM »

I hit a game burnout it seems every 10-11 months....whether it's World of Warcraft or a console game...i find myself in the same boat.

BUT nowadays if i take some time off from gaming in general (like a couple weeks without playing one game at all in any way shape or form) I bounce right back in no time.

Dont worry man, it happens, and you'll get through it just in time for the 4th Quarter goodness.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 12:14:21 PM »

Quote from: "Angelo"
More than burnout, most people find eventually that their interests aren't limited to video games.  Lately I tend to take a long time finishing RPGs, because I'm programming, reading, playing instruments, writing, and watching videos.  As a result I don't buy games too often anymore, and when I do play it's not very often an RPG.  It's not burnout exactly; it's just difficult to do a round-robin with a game that requires a lot of brain real-estate.

I pretty much feel the same. My research obviously takes up a lot of time. Apart from that, there is work, spending time with friends, watching DVDs and writing for the site. Hence I have sold far more games than I have bought recently. The only two games I have really played a lot this year are among Japan's most casual ones, the two brain training games from Sega. I will definitely try and play through Xenosaga Episode III, but otherwise I probably have become too jaded for the entire thing.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2006, 12:48:51 PM »

Heck I've felt that way for months. That is why the current games in my sig haven't changed since I haven't touched my PS2 for months.  I do find myself playing sudoku everynight on my DS though, because that relaxes me so I can go to sleep.  I find instead of gaming,  I'm going out with friends and watching foreign films online.

Whatever it is, I feel less excited about the upcoming games.    Perhaps if I finish the games in my sig I'll get back into it. Maybe I should just sell them and start a new game.  Hell I don't know.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »

I have been feeling the same way too. Recently I haven't been playing many RPGs at all - I play a chapter of two of Fire Emblen in bed every night, but that's about it. I'm still looking forward to a lot of RPGs, but I'm not getting excited about them the way I used to.

Just like Gast and CluelessWonder, most of my gaming lately has been of the casual style. The two games (apart from World of Warcraft) that have taken up most of my time the last months are Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and Guitar Hero. Neither are games that are very involving in a story/character fashion, but they're a ton of fun to just pick up and play. No long cutscenes to watch, no oceans of text to sift true, no clichéed angsty teenage boys falling in love with amnesiac girls. Just a lot of fun.

I'm kind of hoping that Xenosaga Episode 3 (which should arrive any day now) will rekindle my love for RPGs. I really do miss that special feeling when you get really into a game, and can't stop playing it because you want to see what's around the next corner. The only game that has made me feel this way in the last months has been Phoenix Wright.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2006, 02:49:58 PM »

I'd also like to note that while there's a lot of RPGs I want, I'm anticipating MMZX and the Wii more than any of them. :P
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 04:14:23 PM »

Me too, Eusis. Actually, I'm anticipating lots of titles in general on the Nintendo DS, especially. Such as, Mega Man ZX, Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, Final Fantasy 3, Magical Starsign, Children of Mana, Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, Tales of the Tempest, and the list goes on and on. I think it's because a handheld is easier to get into, and you can bring it anywhere, so you're more likely to start it up and play for awhile.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: