Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 08:32:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332827 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  need help deciding
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: need help deciding  (Read 2202 times)
mick

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »

Going on a trip soon, so i'll be dusting off the psp. need a recommendation on a good rpg to play while on the plane.

looking for something that will keep me entertained from the start. I like action and traditional rpgs but not opposed to srpgs. I love airships, and world maps but it seems no games utilize either of those anymore especially handhelds.

i have crisis core and never got much playing done. but maybe ill stick to that.

i am trying to decide from the following any help or suggestions appreciated. if this is in wrong thread i apologize.

crisis core
LoH: trails in the sky
Z.H.P. unlosing ranger vs darkdeath evilman
one of the Ys games
one of the star ocean games
OR
a psone classic i can download off of psn

I'm not to keen on handheld games and know almost nothing about any of these games but they look cool. any help appreciated!
Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »

Crisis Core - Was actually one of my favorite FF7 spinoffs, so I would definitely recommend it.
LoH: Trails in the Sky - Haven't played this one yet, though I have played two of three of the installments of the Garghav trilogy and thought they were decent.
Z.H.P. - Haven't played this one.
One of the Ys games - The port of Ark of Nephastiwhatever has bad loading times from what I've heard, but Oath in Felghana is actually one of my favorite action RPGs ever, and Ys Seven and Ys I + II Chronicles aren't bad, either.
Star Ocean: First Departure and Second Evolution are also among my favorite RPGs ever, so maybe those as well.

Haven't downloaded anything from PSN, so I woulen't know.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 12:04:32 PM »

While I would usually recommend Trails in the Sky for every occasion, you said you wanted something that was entertaining from the start, which is understandable, and Trails takes a few hours to really grab you (or at least, that was the case for me).

So I'm gonna say Ys.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »

Ys for me.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »

Except that Ys is kinda terrible to play while on the go since it requires a lot of concentration and skill and road trips tend to make concentrating rather difficult. Go grab some TitS instead.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »

LOL Ys is mostly running around and slashing things with minimal cutscenes and story. You had to concentrate?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 12:30:21 PM »

TitS all the way!  Starmongoose is right that it starts kind of slow, but it's not like it's bad or anything.  It's just that they focus more on character development at the beginning.  Which means that when shit does go down (as it inevitably does) you actually care about the people involved.

LoH: TitS is my favorite game for the PSP.  Everyone should play it.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 12:36:04 PM »

LOL Ys is mostly running around and slashing things with minimal cutscenes and story. You had to concentrate?

When it involves not dying horribly to bosses or platforming for hidden stuffs.

But then again I also tend to avoid playing on Easy Modo, so there's that as well.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:12 PM »

TitS all the way!  Starmongoose is right that it starts kind of slow, but it's not like it's bad or anything.  It's just that they focus more on character development at the beginning.  Which means that when shit does go down (as it inevitably does) you actually care about the people involved.

LoH: TitS is my favorite game for the PSP.  Everyone should play it.

I think it was already described...
TiTS, just enough gameplay for awesome story.
Ys, just enough story for awesome gameplay.

I love LoH: Trails.  If SC doesn't come out, I'm holding XSeed staff and family hostage for a ransom of $50 million; the funds of the ransom which will be returned to XSeed (maybe not in full) for them to have the pesos to localize new title (and advertise the damned thing).

Star Ocean 2 is an awesome addition to the collection (PSP games shouldnt be that expensive), it has probably one of the most involving customization systems seen since the game first came out and has a number of ways to play to keep it fresh.  A secret dungeon after will really keep you on your toes too.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:50:42 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
mick

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »

thanks for the help guys,

i was really leaning towards Tits! ha. but seriously it does look like "my kind of rpg"

i have crisis core so i can always have that as a backup.

no dice on the Z.H.P. tho? it looks like such a neat game. and its $20 new, whereas tits is $30 preowned.

if i were to get Ys i guess Ys seven would be the best choice?
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »

thanks for the help guys,

i was really leaning towards Tits! ha. but seriously it does look like "my kind of rpg"

i have crisis core so i can always have that as a backup.

no dice on the Z.H.P. tho? it looks like such a neat game. and its $20 new, whereas tits is $30 preowned.

if i were to get Ys i guess Ys seven would be the best choice?

Yes, Ys 7 is the best of the psp releases. It's fast-paced, and a lot of fun. I enjoyed Felghana, too, but some of the platforming drove me mad.

This thread reminds me that I have yet to play with TitS. Might be too much of a time sink for me, though.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Tankallex
Warrior

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »

TitS is amazing, I recommend that all the way.
I wasn't really a fan of the hack 'n slash style that YS had, though everyone has their own opinions. Crisis Core is awesome, you can't really go wrong with that one.

Other great RPG's for the PsP  worth checking out are Persona, Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 09:41:31 PM »

GrimReality summed up my thoughts on Felghana perfectly, it can be loads of fun and the story is enjoyable but some of the platforming is absolutely mind boggling annoying.

Everything's Eventual
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 09:55:17 PM »

ZHP is a Disgaea-like game with some weird level grinding method about dying to become stronger. Also, the story is all about cheesy super hero stereotypes, but it's got lots of humor about it.

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
mick

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »

ok so narrowed it down to 2 - ys7 or Tits, i own crisis core so that really doesn't count.

this may sound dumb, and off topic but sometimes i choose my rpgs solely on the fact that their is a controllable airship and world maps.

yes I am one of those annoying rpg fans that came onto the scene back when ff7 came out. so i fell in love with world maps and vehicles. when you could rent a car in ff8 i thought it was awesome, even tho it was as unnecessary a feature ever created.

don't get me wrong i love good story and character development, but the exploration just doesn't seem as fun without flying around world map and discovering hidden places on your own.

i do 99.9% of my gaming on consoles, and less games are utilizing the world map and airship. Tales of Vesperia was like an answer to my dreams.

Do any psp games utilize world maps and vehicles?

is it becoming a lost art i modern rpgs altogether? is there other people out there like me?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: