Author Topic: My goal starting November: beat 1 RPG a month  (Read 11046 times)

DTX180

• View Profile
My goal starting November: beat 1 RPG a month
« on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:27 AM »
My backlog is massive. I usually only play Starcraft 2 with friends these days, or the occasional civilization game. My rpg log has been piling up for too damn long now, and starting next month i will try to make a dent in it (who knows, maybe ill get to 3 every 2 months or something)

My most recent RPGs finished (that werent replays): Persona 4 and Disgaea 3. Ive now beaten every persona and disgaea released in the USA. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment remains my favorite, but Persona 4 was right there with it.

Starting November 2011: Wild Arms (PSX)
I have never touched this series, despite wanting to for years. I love wild west (with futuristic elements) themes.

Here i go

PotRoast

• View Profile
Re: My goal starting November: beat 1 RPG a month
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:58 AM »
For future reference, the genre is called Weird West when you mix the Wild West genre with some other genre like sci-fi.

I've heard mixed things about the Wild Arms series, but I hope you enjoy it. This whole one game a month plan doesn't sound like such a bad idea. I've also had a lot of trouble finishing my games. I've had recent luck with finishing a couple of short titles recently, but I have several 40+ hour RPGs that just aren't getting beaten that I need to put more time into. I guess I'll make my goal for November to be Digital Devil Saga I. I'm super close to the end, so this is kind of cheating a bit, but oh well.

Gen Eric Gui

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »
I've tried this plan, and it never works out all that well for me.  Sometimes, I really just don't feel like playing X game, and that's that.  But then again, it appears that I'm really not all that bothered by having tons of unfinished/unplayed games sitting on my shelf for years at a stretch.

I hope it works out for you!

Farron

• View Profile
    • Mayonaka Reviews
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 12:12:35 PM »
I won't dare try to set a goal like that, not only it depends on the month and life itself but I also tend to switch too much between games.
For example, I can be for months without finishing a single game but when it all comes together, I end up finishing about 5 in a week but I can sympathize your feelings. So many games I'd like to finish, not to mention the ones I've probably given up altogether.

Tworenniks

• Hardcore Ginger
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
This is easier said than done. Usually whenever I set a goal I get about halfway there then my gaming ADD kicks in and it goes back on the shelf...
Currently playing:
Tales of Vesperia
Mana Khemia: Student Allience

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:40:26 AM »
Good luck. You're going to need it. RPGs can be content-heavy and side quests can easily distract you into adding several more hours of game time.

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 04:26:32 AM »
When you say completed Disgaea 3, do you mean the storyline or the uber grinding bosses?

I guess that's the major distinction in most RPG's these days is that beating the main storyline can take 20-40hrs for most of them, but taking on all the content can push it out to 150-300hrs.

I reckon that your approach/view of the extended content will be the main factor.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
An interesting social experiment. Let the games commence!

Maxximum

• RPGFan Editor
  • Fills you with determiantion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »
Good luck, though you'd probably be better off investing this kind of determination into something a little more productive. As much as I love games, Ive come to the conclusion that they should be a hobby, not a routine.
NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you

Kurai

• Rpg Loving Gal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
The problem is:  you're having fun with X game? if the answer is yes them go for it, you will finish it in no time,if you aren't just quit the game and forget it, because you're losing time that you could be putting on some productive things(or some other game)

i just buy a game at a time, and don't even care for others if i don't finish the one that i already have(i drop it if its a game that i don't like obvious).., but all rpg games have boring parts, one city that its boring..., some sort of events, there are days that i don't feel like playing at all.

but if you have time, 2 hours a day would make 60 hours a month   

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 02:43:52 AM »
I never finish RPGs. Most of them fully explore there game mechanics WAY before they're done, and storyline's not much of an incentive for me anymore.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 03:26:06 AM »
Good luck, though you'd probably be better off investing this kind of determination into something a little more productive. As much as I love games, Ive come to the conclusion that they should be a hobby, not a routine.

Then again, many people need a sort of routine to make time for their hobbies.

The only games I play when I get them are games I have to review. More often than not the RPGs are fun and I'll finish them quickly (which don't mean I skip out on all the extras, it just means I play a lot). Then there's the games I buy myself (usually 2-4 games at a time) and I play those when I feel like it.

Since early August I played and finished Wild Arms 5, Xenoblade, Mana Khemia 2 and Atelier Totori. Now I don't really feel like playing games, so I probably won't play much in November. That's 12 RPG's finished in 2011 so far, but I think it might go up by 2 or 3.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: don't force yourself to finish something. Instead, sit don't with a game you think you'll like, but stop playing when you're not enjoying yourself. And don't try to rush through games to get to the next one. You'll regret it later.

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
Oh, for the sake of relevance, I really liked WA1 and 2. Heard good things about 3. Less good things about most of the later ones.

WA: ACF is sort of dumb though. It adds a bunch of stuff, but all of the additions are /really/ questionable, and for every addition it adds it like... removes something else. It also replaces armor with WA2's personal skills (Personal Skills probably being the worst part of WA2.) and add in WA2's radar thing, only there was a ton of hidden shit on the map to find in WA2, whereas there isnt in ACF, making it weird.

I think ACF did the radar thing. Actually fuck it who knows.
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Der Jermeister

• Banninated
  • Mission Accomplished
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 10:14:27 AM »
I almost always finish RPGs I begin unless I reach a point where the game becomes unbeatable for me or I just get plain sick of the game's mechanics.
Public Blog
LiveJournal
RPG Reviews
DeviantArt Gallery

Every man is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts.
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

PotRoast

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »

Then again, many people need a sort of routine to make time for their hobbies.

QFT. I don't want to be presumptuous about who is and isn't an adult here, but unlike my childhood, my adult life often doesn't leave time for all the hobbies I enjoy. That means I have to make time. So yes, that means putting video games in as part of a routine, and then setting goals to get things done.

Is playing video games a productive use of my time? Absolutely. And I'm actually rather offended that Maxximum thinks he knows what is and isn't a good use of other people's time. If video games were really just some masturbatory activity I did when I had nothing else better to do, then I would stop playing them altogether and most certainly not consider them anything close to a hobby.

Edit: I mixed up Tomara and Maxximum's names, so I fixed it.