Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:50:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330153 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What are your favorite innovations in RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: What are your favorite innovations in RPGs?  (Read 6468 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »

Ummm...only? Following this logic you can blame chess for "only" allowing you to move and attack. Doesn`t stop it from being quite....tactical? ;)

Chess has special movement rules. GoldBox I mostly found to be pretty move next to guys and start wailing away.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »

Parasite Eves combat system. its like a turn based action RPG I really wish other games would try that.

laserSquad

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 05:21:28 AM »

Chess has special movement rules. GoldBox I mostly found to be pretty move next to guys and start wailing away.

Penalties for breaking from melee (and movement limits when engaged so you can`t break the line but can defend a doorway). Charm & Sleep that actually work (and are necessary). Encumbrance (even money has weight). Spellcasting that can be canceled by successful attack. Sweep. Battlefield-changing  spells that actually work (and are necessary...Stinking Cloud FTW). Haste spell that ages you and you might get too old for reviving. 3 moons, phases of which control spell power. Bandaging bleeding characters. Area Fireballs you can control with deadly precision and L Bolts that bounce off walls. And so on...

All these things are crucial and actually matter in combat.  The "start wailing away" tactic might work in few early battles but later on you`ll find your party decimated/charmed/..., quite often in second round, if you don`t make that all-important spell-cancel attack or position yourself so that only one/two dies when Silver Dragon breathes.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 09:21:27 AM »

valkyrie profile's battle system, shadow hearts judgment ring. both inserted an element of skill into turn based rpg's wich i like.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 11:13:56 AM »

L Bolts that bounce off walls

...or mirrors.  On some occasions, game allowing, I would equip a mage and another character with mirrors and I could fuck some shit up by firing a lightning bolt on an enemy and have it bounce between my characters, cackling with nerd glee.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »

One of my favorites was the "Talk" menu command in Phantasy Star 4, where your party members would chat amongst themselves and remind you of your current in-game objective.  If you only play sporadically, it's nice to come back and not go, "I forgot what to do!"  Nowadays, in-game journals and logs are pretty commonplace, but Phantasy Star 4 was the first time I saw it. 

Oh, and automappers.  Not having to go through sheafs of graph paper mapping out dungeons is a nice convenience. 

And I like how in Eternal Eden, once you completed a battle encounter, that encounter was gone for good.  This made backtracking exploration (especially for all the endgame sidequests) much more pleasurable.  It's kinda like how in Panzer Dragoon Saga you could potentially extinct a species.  *Sniff* PDS... the best game I'll never play.  That game's still more innovative than most RPGs coming down the pike. 

I'm a turn-based guy myself, but seeing mechanics like Press Turn in Shin Megami Tensei, the IP bar in Grandia, or the multi-button combo attacks in Xenogears definitely keep combat fresh. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 12:42:51 PM »

Admittedly I've been finding auto battle to be a godsend lately thanks to grinding Diamonds in that one DS FF game that isn't a port of any other FF game or an SRPG in the same vein as FFT because fuck that shit, I'm done having to waste my goddamn time grinding shit just for a meaningless sword of infinity +1. It's nice just to set up a routine and go through like 99 battles in a few hours while I get some goddamn homework done while only briefly glancing over for 30 seconds to set up the next fight. In 5 hours I have over 80 of the goddamn things and I'm out of ways to use them right now. One more hour then I can stick my middle finger up at the prospect of having to climb 4 100 floor dungeons repeatedly just to have the chance at grinding up enough Diamonds to max out one of every class (I'll have other reasons to climb those stupid dungeons but grinding Diamonds is probably the worst reason and the one I'll be gladdest to be rid of).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »

multi-button combo attacks in Xenogears

Did that really add much? I never saw a need to use anything other than the "best" attack available at the time (except in one case where you have enemies with elemental affinities in the Solaris... sewers? Hangar? Whatever that was?)

Agreed, though. Party chat should be in everything. I liked it in DQ7 where your party members would comment on nearly everything (and then you could talk to them in battle too).

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 04:24:30 PM »

Mesh- I'm a fan of fighting games as well, so combo systems like that and Valkyrie Profile have a soft spot with me.  It can add spice to the turn-based broth, if done properly.  Gear battles were a pain because I was always monitoring fuel consumption.  Xenosaga II's battles were a pain because it was a crapshoot finding the one best way to defeat an enemy.  Last Rebellion was Xenosaga II's battles done better, but those battles often ran too long. 

Of course, regular garden-variety turn based systems can either be good or bad depending on a lot of factors.  A Witch's Tale, for example, made every battle an absolute chore thanks to lousy balancing and battles playing out way too slowly.

As for party-chat, the Private Actions were always my favorite part of any Star Ocean game.  I'm not a Star Ocean fan by any stretch, but the Private Actions were a good idea, even if many were just plain doofy (I almost spelt that oddfy) owing to some WTF? characters (i.e. most everyone in Star Ocean 4.)

One "innovation" that seems to be a double-edged sword is save-anywhere.  Saving anywhere is great for when you have to suddenly leave the game.  On the other hand, you can get so engrossed that you forget to save so occasional reminders to save aren't so bad, kinda like save points.  Go figure, eh?   

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 05:53:45 PM »

I like how save points worked in Harmony of Dissonance -- you could *SAVE* anywhere, but you could only save your position in the map at certain locations.

I think Tales of Eternia did something similar?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 06:02:41 PM »

I like how save points worked in Harmony of Dissonance -- you could *SAVE* anywhere, but you could only save your position in the map at certain locations.

I think Tales of Eternia did something similar?

Yeah, you could save anywhere on the overworld and load from there, but there were crystals in dungeons (and towns?) you would resume the game from when you saved in a dungeon. Dark Souls is actually kind of similar, except you DO stay wherever you saved, it's just that when you die/use a warp back item you go to the last bonfire you used.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2011, 03:32:33 AM »

The first Valkyrie Profile had such an awesome battle system.

Are the sequels as good?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2011, 03:39:42 AM »

Are the sequels as good?

VP2 is like a 3d VP1 with more factors.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:43 AM »

Penalties for breaking from melee (and movement limits when engaged so you can`t break the line but can defend a doorway). Charm & Sleep that actually work (and are necessary). Encumbrance (even money has weight). Spellcasting that can be canceled by successful attack. Sweep. Battlefield-changing  spells that actually work (and are necessary...Stinking Cloud FTW). Haste spell that ages you and you might get too old for reviving. 3 moons, phases of which control spell power. Bandaging bleeding characters. Area Fireballs you can control with deadly precision and L Bolts that bounce off walls. And so on...

Thanks a lot for reminding me how much better the combat in the Gold Box games was, compared to most modern RPG's. THANKS A LOT. (goes off to TALK ABOUT PIRACY AND GET BANNED).

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:07:19 PM by Eusis » Logged
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »

Are the sequels as good?

VP2 is like a 3d VP1 with more factors.

VP2 is like half way between VP1 and Resonance of Fate. You still have to move around but you don't need to form triangles yet.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: