Author Topic: Level-5's Girl RPG  (Read 8072 times)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Level-5's Girl RPG
« on: October 20, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/20/life-as-a-hostess-hands-on-girls-rpg-cinderella-life/#disqus_thread

The not too creatively named "Girls RPG" is getting some press.  It is Level-5, a developer I think is a tad over-rated... but hey.

I want people's opinions on this.  Because I personally think it's stupid.  Mainly for the reason Lisa in the Simpson hated the new Malibu Stacey doll: why does the girly stuff really need to be crammed down our throats like this?  I guess I kinda of get it, this looks like a "fluff" game in its entirety, but it really does perpetuate stereotypes for girls -- there are no battles, but a choice what to wear to look great for the guys!!!!

I know there really isn't a big demographic for girls in games, but man I'm surprised it's taken so drastically and reduced to this.  Your sense of "adventure" here seems to be a day at the mall or getting asked out.  I'd prefer something catered to both genders at the very least (Harvest Moon does a nice job of that at least) -- but for lack of better words, this game just looks lame.  It's easy to argue: "you're the minority who isn't the target then, Dice!", but... bah...  =/
I'm disappointed level-5.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
Re: Level-5's Girl RPG
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
*reads article*

So basically the summary of this game's plot is: "Your deprived country bumpkin self is sent to the city where the more sensible people live. You must shed your totally out of date rags and wear only the finest clothing and gallons of make up if you wish to succeed in life."

:-\ How do these clowns get jobs in this industry again?

Aurian

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Where's the barf bucket?

Lazlowe1984

• Restricted Members
  • Centurion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:02:03 PM »
Level 5 needs to be taken down a peg.This is stupid.

Girls RPG should be about teasing and messing with horny guys and never ever giving in.I like the clothing idea though.Wearing the most expensive dress to show off my cute butt is always fun.

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 04:35:27 AM »
I never really got "girly" stuff but then again I'm (mostly) gay so what do I know. Though I do think this is a dumb idea i hope it tanks in sales

Level 5 needs to be taken down a peg.This is stupid.

Girls RPG should be about teasing and messing with other horny girls and never ever giving in. I like the clothing idea though.Wearing the most expensive dress to show off my cute butt is always fun.

fixed, you're welcome.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:05:42 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty disappoint Level 5. The funny thing is that I imagine there's going to be way more perverted middle-age men playing the game than little girls anyway.

The other thing is that I think it fails even at what it's setting out to do. You'd think that this sort of game would be something they'd want to use to segway the supposed target audience into buying actual RPGs. It doesn't look like this can accomplish that at all- I'd make something like Rhapsody if I wanted to do that.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:13:30 AM »
Funny how both the east and west have reached equal levels of stereotyping female audiences.

Hasbro: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic/Cartoons-for-girls can't have too much action or antagonism! Girl's don't like that!

Level-5: Our game/RPGs-for-girls can't have too much action or antagonism! Girl's don't like that!

Global warning's out. Global chauvinism is new planetary threat for the decade. XP *mild sarcasm*

Themadcow

• RPGing since '84
  • 4 groups of 99 Berzerkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:44:56 AM »
then again I'm (mostly) gay

Gap in the market?

I'm not sure how it was marketed in NA, but in the UK certainly DQIX was angled very much at the female market - with much made of the highly customizable appearance of the characters, showing the 'delight' on a woman's face as she was able to give the main character a feather headress...

Annubis

• ee yan~☆
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 07:52:19 AM »
Funny how both the east and west have reached equal levels of stereotyping female audiences.

Hasbro: My Little Pony Friendship is Magic/Cartoons-for-girls can't have too much action or antagonism! Girl's don't like that!

Wait wha?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9l-jW0d_H8
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 08:08:26 AM by Annubis »

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 08:06:19 AM »

Wait wha?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhtpbG2DLA

Hasbro's had a full season to learn they had an unintentional audience before they made that episode. XD

If you look over old S1 time period interviews and quotes with Lauren Faust you'll find out she wanted to make MLP:FiM as a whole a bit darker and actiony, kinda more like the pilot. But Hasbro basically said "Um,...no. What do you think this is? A show aimed at boys?"

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
On the bright side at least this game will probably actually be playable compared to real Barbie games, Disney Popstar of the Month games, or those Petz games which are shovelware no matter how you slice it. Kinda like how Super Princess Peach was both hilariously misogynistic and a solid platformer.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Tomara

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
I'm disappointed level-5.

Let's be disappointed together. Why can there be shoujo manga like this but do videogames for girls need to be like, well... that?

Demon_Princess_Kay

• Banninated
    • View Profile
    • My 1up page
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 05:41:12 PM »

Level-5: Our game/RPGs-for-girls can't have too much action or antagonism! Girl's don't like that!

Global warning's out. Global chauvinism is new planetary threat for the decade. XP *mild sarcasm*

I got into tons of fights in highschool (involving fists and such) holy shit that means i must be a man?

laserSquad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 07:35:07 AM »
Eh, dunno...it sounds daft for sure and might be hardly a real videogame - but our Western versions with endless Bratz/PetVetZoo/Barbie crap are selling rather well -
 and don`t look nowhere near as polished. I think that RPG in the title is sort of misleading (though you do play a role here)

Seems to me it`s target audience is the under-10-yrs-old here - that doesn`t really sound like you, Dice ;)

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 11:25:19 AM »
Eh, dunno...it sounds daft for sure and might be hardly a real videogame - but our Western versions with endless Bratz/PetVetZoo/Barbie crap are selling rather well -
 and don`t look nowhere near as polished. I think that RPG in the title is sort of misleading (though you do play a role here)

Seems to me it`s target audience is the under-10-yrs-old here - that doesn`t really sound like you, Dice ;)

No, I got that, and said to that affect.  But, like I said, I hate the stereotyping it does on behalf of girls.  A lot of these girl games are like this; where our prime interest seems to be in boys and shopping.  I hate that when it comes to "games for girls/women" its on the line of adventures....in shopping.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!