Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 11:59:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334505 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shining Force Releases
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Shining Force Releases  (Read 2421 times)
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2011, 11:50:31 AM »

I have SF III for the Saturn which I would never be able to part with. Just loved that game. Great characters. Are there other SF titles that are available either for PS2 or PS3. Someone once told me they were available on Genesis Greatest Hits collection but never found it.

Also, any word of any new releases in production? Been away from any news on this series for years.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:50:46 PM »

This is not a question you want answered.

... In short, yes, but the original team has cut ties with Sega, and so we instead got Shining Force Neo and Exa, action RPGs that pretty much only have the name Shining Force (and missed the point that Force was saved for strategy RPGs and that they were the most recognizable entries for a reason), with only the unlocalized Shining Force Feather on the DS being an actual strategy RPG. Seems like most of the rest of the other Shining games either aren't that good or never got localized to begin with.
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:08:26 PM »

Another true shining game is a pipe dream that i think a lot of people have.  If you've ever heard of Moogie, who is a very active participant in the ShiningForceCentral ring, he is actually trying to get a petition together to send out to Camelot and Sega, in hopes that the two companies can bridge their gaps and once again make games that the fans will love.

It's a far-fetched idea, but I for one have not given up complete hope.

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Anime & RPGl and

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »

That's all so dissappointing. Strategy games are really the only type of game I have the time or the patience for nowadays. And with that SF was a huge standout for me. I do like other titles as well: Front Missioin, Fire Emblem were a couple others I like but still SF is my favorite.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 10:59:10 AM »

Not a strategy game, but I do recall Shining Souls 2 being pretty fun.

Jagged alliance got a DS port but apparently it's not a very good port.

That being said, if you're willing to go PC, Temple of Elemental Evil is a very-excellent AD&D based dungeon crawler/turn-based-strategy game, although it is really recommended you play it with the circle of eight modpack. Game's around 6 bucks from various online retailers.

Uh, what else... Jagged Alliance 2, the first three X-Com games... Those are all more tactically-oriented strategy RPGs. JA2 is more story oriented and the mercs have personalities and stuff. X-Com only has generic units, if that's something that matters to you.

You could also try looking into stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, the Age of Wonders games, and Lords of Magic, although the focus on those is fairly different, though they're still strategy RPGs at their core.

Did Arc the Lad 2 recently get a PSN release? I adore that game. Its progression is closer to a typical RPG though and it's somewhat open-ended.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:40:14 PM »

Yeah sadly it's all downhill from SFIII.  I would like to play Shining Force Feather but looks like that isn't gonna happen...I heard that the developer (flight-plan) went out of business too.  
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:25:25 AM »

resurrection of dark dragon isnt to bad adds a fair bit of new content though i prefered the sprites in the original.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 12:38:34 PM »

resurrection of dark dragon isnt to bad adds a fair bit of new content though i prefered the sprites in the original.

I liked it well enough, but they made it far too easy. Some of the new characters were game-breaking (Mawlock!) and Max is near-invincible by the end of the game.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 12:41:11 PM by DPB » Logged
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »

Gaiden for the Game-Gear is fan translated. It shows what happens to Max after the first game, and is pretty decent overall
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 01:57:24 AM »

Another true shining game is a pipe dream that i think a lot of people have.  If you've ever heard of Moogie, who is a very active participant in the ShiningForceCentral ring, he is actually trying to get a petition together to send out to Camelot and Sega, in hopes that the two companies can bridge their gaps and once again make games that the fans will love.

It's a far-fetched idea, but I for one have not given up complete hope.

That's like going to the north pole to find Santa Claus.

But according to Wikipedia Camelot right now is working on Mario Tennis 3DS... yeah well, uhm, at least they did a new Golden Sun. Was that any good though?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 03:26:33 AM »

Is Shining Tears any good?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 06:47:06 AM »

But according to Wikipedia Camelot right now is working on Mario Tennis 3DS... yeah well, uhm, at least they did a new Golden Sun. Was that any good though?

About standard for the Golden Sun series from my experience. Incidentally, those games have made some people VASTLY PREFER stuff like the aforementioned Mario sports game being made, since they're pretty good at those and even tend to make the handheld ones RPG-ish.
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 08:00:05 AM »

Get Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3.. it has a ton of great games and RPGs on it and you can find the game for under $20 including Shining Force 1,2 and Shining in the Darkness.

here is the list of the 40+ games..

Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    Alien Storm
    Altered Beast
    Beyond Oasis
    Bonanza Bros.
    Columns
    Comix Zone
    Decap Attack
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    Dynamite Headdy
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Ecco: The Tides of Time
    ESWAT: City Under Siege
    Fatal Labyrinth
    Flicky
    Gain Ground
    Golden Axe
    Golden Axe II
    Golden Axe III
    Kid Chameleon
    Phantasy Star II
    Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
    Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
    Ristar
    Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention
    Shining Force II: The Ancient Seal
    Shining in the Darkness
    Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic the Hedgehog 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Spinball
    Streets of Rage
    Streets of Rage 2
    Streets of Rage 3
    Super Thunder Blade
    Vectorman
    Vectorman 2

Unlockable extra games

Alien Syndrome (arcade)
    Altered Beast (arcade)
    Congo Bongo (arcade) (under original title "Tip Top" in some regions)
    Fantasy Zone (arcade)
    Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System)
    Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
    Shinobi (arcade)
    Space Harrier (arcade)
    Zaxxon (arcade)

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »

Beyond Oasis

I liked that game years ago.  If I ever see this collection for sale, I'll get it.  The Phantasy Star games are what I'm really after, but the rest is great novelty stuff (Phantasy Zone and Space Harrier, aw yeah).

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 02:04:52 PM »

Classic Game Room has a review of the Genesis Collection. I wonder why Capcom hasn't done something like this, I mean in the same format as Sega did with their collection.

Is Shining Tears any good?

Are you asking me? Because I've haven't played that.

About standard for the Golden Sun series from my experience. Incidentally, those games have made some people VASTLY PREFER stuff like the aforementioned Mario sports game being made, since they're pretty good at those and even tend to make the handheld ones RPG-ish.

I didn't know that, and from the way you say it I assume that they are good games. Now you made me curious and I want to try these games.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: