Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2014, 11:06:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340910 Posts in 13932 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria  (Read 10956 times)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 03:57:10 PM »

From what I heard, it has 6 leveling area on the new continent.  The thing that bothers me is the whole thing is supposed to be about war and resources... but they are supposedly making another new neutral city.  Makes no fucking sense at all.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 06:07:53 PM »

From what I heard, it has 6 leveling area on the new continent.  The thing that bothers me is the whole thing is supposed to be about war and resources... but they are supposedly making another new neutral city.  Makes no fucking sense at all.

What I've particularly come to hate is the whole "equalling" of Alliance and Horde. One thing I really liked back in the day was the exclusivity of Paladins and Shamans to Alliance and Horde. Yes, there were balance issues, but who cares? Made things way more interesting. Now almost every race can be almost every class.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »

I don't think WoW lends itself to such class-based segregation anymore especially since it's a lot more focused on PVE dugeons and raids then it was in Vanilla. I know it was just one class each but it's gotta be a pain in the ass to balance any PVE encounter when a whole faction has access to a completely different set of abilities than another. WoW had a bit more of a PVP focus when it was released (not a strong one obviously but there was a lot of good fun world PVP going on there for awhile) and I think that type of gameplay works well with having different factions and classes.

I liked Shatt but Dalaran was boring and I'm not a fan of neutral hubs myself. I killed Arthas, why do I care that some piddly mage doesn't want me to punt a gnome over the side?

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 08:13:51 PM »

I really hope this new continent is as large, if not larger than Burning Crusade's was.

On the plus side at least their disabling flying mounts until max level. People don't complain about it much, probably because they're just rushing to hit max level, but they really kill the experience.

There were two other issues I had with leveling in cata too I hope they fix. One was pacing, I hit max level without even stepping foot in uldum or twilight highlands.

The other was...I don't want to say challenge. Leveling doesn't have to be 'hard'. But some sense of danger. When you can get up and get a snack midfight and come back still alive it's not there.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »

When you can get up and get a snack midfight and come back still alive it's not there.

Which is why I played rogue.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 08:33:05 PM »

I'm not sure I buy the "catering to Asian audiences" bit, cause honestly, this can be seen as tremendously stereotypical to that ethnicity.

Things like this tend to get away with it since it's a fantasy setting, I think. Usually fiction set in modern times or science fiction is more subject to accusations of stereotyping. Actually, I think this is more like an embracing of stereotypes, like the knight's chivalry code or the Bushido of the Samurai, so it's not really subject to that sort of criticism because it's being stereotypical on purpose.

The funny thing is that I'm pretty sure Pandarens did not have a Chinese-like culture when they were first introduced (As I recall, they had a Japanese-like culture), and that was actually subjected to complaints because Pandas are seen as a Chinese symbol. Either way you'd get people complaining.

From what I heard, it has 6 leveling area on the new continent.  The thing that bothers me is the whole thing is supposed to be about war and resources... but they are supposedly making another new neutral city.  Makes no fucking sense at all.

I can see it making some sense since Pandarens apparently are joining the Alliance or Horde on an individual basis, so if there's some big Pandaren city it would be neutral as far as lore is concerned. I do think it'd be a lot more fun if you were allowed to kill people in neutral areas and gain the ire of guards, though, assuming they don't just make guards 10 levels above you and two-shotting you as soon as you engage any unlucky shmuck.

Of course, something like that would require the cities to be a lot larger than how they usually make them. For me, after playing DCUO it's going to take a lot for a city in an MMO to impress me with size or scale.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:36:37 PM by Hathen » Logged
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 01:01:13 PM »

monk intrigues me since i loved monk and samurai in FFXI and was always disapointed that WoW didnt have anything like that.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 04:54:07 PM »

I really hope this new continent is as large, if not larger than Burning Crusade's was.

On the plus side at least their disabling flying mounts until max level. People don't complain about it much, probably because they're just rushing to hit max level, but they really kill the experience.

There were two other issues I had with leveling in cata too I hope they fix. One was pacing, I hit max level without even stepping foot in uldum or twilight highlands.

Yeah, I think disabling flying mounts till max is a good level.  I'm glad GW2 doesn't have them at all.  The convenience factor is huge, but i agree that it hurts the experience.

I think the pacing issue has always been there.  I remember back in BC, I never quested in Netherstorm until max level (which was a place I really enjoyed actually).  Same thing with WOTLK.  I don't think I stepped foot in Icecrown.  On the plus side, it leaves you open to lots of questing at max level for rep and/or gold if it's something you enjoy.  That was often one of my favorite ways of making money, even if it wasn't lucrative like many professions were.

I can see it making some sense since Pandarens apparently are joining the Alliance or Horde on an individual basis, so if there's some big Pandaren city it would be neutral as far as lore is concerned. I do think it'd be a lot more fun if you were allowed to kill people in neutral areas and gain the ire of guards, though, assuming they don't just make guards 10 levels above you and two-shotting you as soon as you engage any unlucky shmuck.

I never really thought of it like that, but it wouldn't be too bad if it was a smaller hub for Pandarens.  I guess just because it's a neutral city, doesn't mean it has to be like Dalaran with portals and banks everywhere for everyone.

I liked Shatt but Dalaran was boring and I'm not a fan of neutral hubs myself. I killed Arthas, why do I care that some piddly mage doesn't want me to punt a gnome over the side?

Yeah, I loved Shattrath city.  Might have more to do with how much I enjoyed BC than anything else though.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2011, 01:43:19 AM »

BC was the bomb indeed! While I liked WotLK, it just went downhill from there. The pussifying of Magtheridon was the beginning of the end. I still think Kael' Thas was the coolest raid encounter ever. I miss you Draenor /tear
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »

In the newest Developer chat there is not going to be any sanctuary cities and in fact it looks as though they're putting in more pvp bonuses for trying to raid the cities. Also the vendors are spread around Pandaria to promote travel and everyone just sitting in the main city so there's a bit more going on then just sitting in the hub and doing nothing.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 04:48:25 PM »

Hey Dade,

I heard Deathwing called you a pussy and is telling everyone that you quit because you knew you couldn't beat him.  Are you gonna take that?

And yeah, the argument about Pandas not belonging is silly considering all the other stuff in the game.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »

Gah Dade! I almost choked on my soda laughing when I saw this. Hilarious!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: