Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 20, 2014, 06:57:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329224 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Shining Blade
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shining Blade  (Read 1952 times)
laserSquad

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2011, 10:22:58 AM »

...aka Valkyrie Chronicles: Magic & Swords Edition? http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/20/shining-blades-battle-system-has-us-most-intrigued/

Ok, that`s pretty easy/lame, but it`s hard to avoid comparisons when combat systems look so similar. Which is fantastic if you ask me. Relationships play a big role as well - another superb feature from VC.
Of course Shining series have been around for much longer than VC, but I`m glad that they go in BLiTZ direction...bodes well for the future of strategy games.

(there`s a small matter of this probably not getting localized but these days I`m sort of immune to this)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 10:26:19 AM »

Shining

nope
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:55:54 PM »

(there`s a small matter of this probably not getting localized but these days I`m sort of immune to this)

And now you know why I didn't make a thread on this when I first spotted news of this. Sega's just going to pretend that this series doesn't exist outside of Japan; then if anybody asks, they'll blame us for not wanting the game. Just look at how many Shining games were released since the last one made it outside of Japan.

Besides given how creepy/misogynistic the series has become lately I really couldn't care less about new releases.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »

Sega's just going to pretend that this series doesn't exist outside of Japan; then if anybody asks, they'll blame us for not wanting the game.

That's only because we actually don't want them.
laserSquad

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »

And now you know why I didn't make a thread on this when I first spotted news of this. Sega's just going to pretend that this series doesn't exist outside of Japan; then if anybody asks, they'll blame us for not wanting the game.

That is very likely, but I don`t think pretending it doesn`t exist is a solution here. I mean, sure, it`s not front page news material but I figured a lil` thread would not hurt anyone. It`s not exactly as we`re snowed in with localised  releases anyway, especially in more strategy oriented genre. Double especially for something as exciting as this battle system.
So the times are hard and Sega does act like bunch of *&^%( But times do change and who knows - in few years there might be a new Sega president with new policy, digi distribution, PSP on PS3 - dunno, but not all hope is lost. Also, fan patches.

Besides given how creepy/misogynistic the series has become lately I really couldn't care less about new releases.

Did they? Wouldn`t know, only played 1/2. Sounds sad, but then it`s rather vague territory...opinions vary (personally I find women-as-collectibles in Witcher pretty lame too, same for Miranda`s butt "romance" of ME2).

@Hathen
"We"?  You some sort of royalty?
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 02:58:33 PM »

yes

i decree people stop wasting their money on crappy shining-series games
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »

yes

i decree people stop wasting their money on crappy shining-series games

I actually think people like Tony Taka's art more than the games themselves.  I'm sure the artbooks have turned a bigger profit. :P

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 04:45:20 PM »

Sega's just going to pretend that this series doesn't exist outside of Japan; then if anybody asks, they'll blame us for not wanting the game.

That's only because we actually don't want them.

I think Shining Force Feather would've been nice to get, but it seems beyond that it's simply not worth it. It stands more as a lamentable example of how even a once reliably localized series has faded away than treasures we're missing out on.
laserSquad

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 06:05:33 AM »

Seems like you guys are bit biased against this series. I can understand the frustration - over the years I had more than fair share of disappointments with fate of most my favourite series.

Still, it`s not all gloom and doom (apart from localization issue) as you paint it. Feather got 8s all round in Famitsu and looks rather solid. Even EXA & NEO got 70 percent from yourselves - for me that still counts as "good" and reading teh reviews actually encouraged me to track `em down now (love that GeoFortress concept). The new one looks very interesting thanks to battle system and relationships that actually affect gameplay. (Yes, TT`s art too - but some how I doubt it`s the main reason strategists buy these :P)

Anyway, what`s this on the front page today? ;)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 05:41:04 AM »

I think Shining Force Feather would've been nice to get

Really, just look at the game yourself. A lack of strategy-based combat is not the only problem with the series. Shining in the Darkness and Holy Ark were both still great games in my book, they just wern't as good as the Force games.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 09:08:24 AM »

slightly off topic here but when i bought dragon force for saturn many years ago i thought it was part of the shining series because of the word force :P

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »

Really, just look at the game yourself. A lack of strategy-based combat is not the only problem with the series. Shining in the Darkness and Holy Ark were both still great games in my book, they just wern't as good as the Force games.

Oh wow. Actions require a gauge to fill to even act and it takes three turns to do anything substantial. Fortunately the enemy AI looks retarded as fuck since they made the mistake of bumrushing the party while they sit back and prepare the nuke that completely obliterates the lot of them in one shot. The other 90% of the video was spent waiting for the action gauge to slowly recharge while they cherry-tap the boss to death. God, it looks like it wants to be Super Robot Wars so goddamn badly and yet has no goddamn clue as to what makes SRW so appealing in the first place.

At least if Shining Blade is just outright stealing Valkyria Chronicles' gameplay then there's a half decent chance that they won't screw it up that badly.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 05:29:32 PM »

That DOES look kind of boring. Hard to tell without actually going hands on, but I guess at this point Shining is more a brand Sega has laying around than an actual series that's still being continued to this day.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 03:26:07 AM »

The visuals look OK, and from what I've read about the battle system, it seems to mirror Valkyria Chronicles in some shape or form, hopefully that means that it'll have somewhat strategy RPG elements. Really, about the most exciting part about this game is that Hiroki Kikuta (Seiken Densetsu) is composing.
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 04:15:38 AM »

FYI laserSquad - I only just found out that Jullian Gollop (pretty much the god of turn based strategy, for those thinking '????') created the Nintendo 3DS game Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. From what I can see, it's the classic Rebelstar Raiders/Xcom/Valkyria Chronicles mechanics with a special ops twist. I just assumed it was like the other Ghost Recon games.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: