Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329833 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Would You Recommend Any of These Over Xenoblade?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Would You Recommend Any of These Over Xenoblade?  (Read 4854 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »

Quote from: laserSquad
White knighting Oblivion

Except that none of that addresses the biggest problem with Elder Scrolls IV which is the fact that in about 30 days Elder Scrolls V is going to be dropping from the sky(rim) which will make ESIV look like some outdated relic made five years ago.

As you yourself just mentioned there's absolutely no reason to look back on the outdated ES games and in no time at all that'll include ESIV.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
laserSquad

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 04:43:07 AM »

As you yourself just mentioned there's absolutely no reason to look back on the outdated ES games and in no time at all that'll include ESIV.

Did I? Where? By saying I`m playing Daggerfall now?

Quite interesting, your logic, following which  nobody should ever re/play anything that has a newer installment. Begone, all you ugly & archaic DQs/FFs/SMTs!

Btw Skyrim, blessed by the fact it`s released on outdated consoles won`t be actually as much of a graphical leap as Daggerfall<Morrowind<Oblivion. Given the right mods, Oblivion might even "beat" the release day Skyrim. There`s also a small matter of removing attributes - something that even such a White Knight and alleged Bethsoft`s fanboi finds hard to swallow.

Nice try dude, but you`d have to do slightly better than that if you truly wanna jump on TES hatin` bandwagon. See, the standards have been raised quite high over the years and your "argument" - while quite ridiculous - wasn`t really that amusing. I recommend "Hurr they let modders fix the game, wha!" for your future approach.
Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 04:53:27 AM »

Some people just don't like Oblivion or ES in general get over it. People are allowed to have opinions and whining about it on an internet forum isn't gonna change that.

laserSquad

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 05:36:54 AM »

Lol @ "whining".  Isn`t that what mostly goes on internet forums, arguing about games? Hold that thought, next time you do exactly the same.
But I suppose that`s ok, once you`re in with the in-crowd, and not some pesky noob who happens to have an opinion or two from the get-go. Same ol` forum dynamics like everywhere else.

But don`t worry folks, no need to engage these ignore buttons - I got the message ;)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2011, 05:43:05 AM »

I can see you're enjoying this, good for you.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 02:12:52 PM »

(while we`re at it, what was the "bullshit" Daggerfall added? Superior gfx, hugest-world-ever, mega-tons of quests? Ah, I know, these were procedurally generated! What a crime ...in 1996, when world`s collective jaw dropped when they`ve seen scale and ambition of  of this game. I`m playing it now - it`s excellent, like a biggest roguelike ever ;)

Daggerfall has something like 230 quests, total. Just because they repeat endlessly does not make them new. For that matter, a lot of them break really easily, and there's verily little variety as is.

It also has something like 50 unique buildings that are just repeated, unchanged, endlessly. The world is massive in terms of landmass but there's very, very little content in it. There's 1000 cities, most of which are essentially identical. Dungeons are made up of a fairly finite set of large dungeon pieces and all start to look the same after about... the fifth dungeon you hit?

Also, the game isn't prog gen. The content was randomly generated *once* by the devs, and that was it. Dungeon X is going to be the same every time you encounter it in a different game.

They added a skill system, which is cute, except about half of the skills range from "completely useless" to "very nearly useless."

Also, I really don't give a shit about Daggerfall's ambition. Ambition is fucking worthless unless you actually DO something worthwhile with it, and Bethesda didn't.

But, it has a cult following of folk who has chosen to hate "corporate" Bethsoft since the "betrayal" that was Oblivion.

MAYBE PEOPLE DISLIKE OBLIVION BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY THINK IT WAS BAD. HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED THIS.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »

Ambition is fucking worthless unless you actually DO something worthwhile with it, and Bethesda didn't.

Ambition is one of those things that hurts so many game projects, especially MMOs.  It's so annoying to watch a project director full of ambition aim for the unreachable when they have a finite resource pool.  If you have enough resources to make a hut, then make a really good hut.  Don't start trying to build a world wonder, end up with little more than the first set of steps for the entrance and an inability to go any further, then pat yourself on the back for your ambition.  Ambition doesn't mean shit in a world where results matter.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 02:29:32 PM »

Oh god someone tell Denis Dyack that.

Also everyone on gamedev.net.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Demon_Princess_Kay
Banninated

AnarchKay
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »

Lol @ "whining".  Isn`t that what mostly goes on internet forums, arguing about games? Hold that thought, next time you do exactly the same.
But I suppose that`s ok, once you`re in with the in-crowd, and not some pesky noob who happens to have an opinion or two from the get-go. Same ol` forum dynamics like everywhere else.

But don`t worry folks, no need to engage these ignore buttons - I got the message ;)

Telling people they are wrong for having an opinion that differs from yours isn't arguing there champ.

Kurai

Rpg Loving Gal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2011, 11:57:30 AM »

get Xenoblade ^^ , none of this games are really a match for it , as for the game quality it will probably end up being the best Jrpg this gen, currently it is in my opinion

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2011, 02:56:58 PM »

I'm in the middle of Xenoblade now, absolutely loving it. Is it the best RPG this generation? No. I just came off of Deus Ex, which was extraordinary. I'd say Mass Effect 2 and Fallout 3 were top-notch and would probably eek out a win over Xenoblade in the end, as well. But if we're talking JAPANESE RPGs, there's no competition... no, really, there's no competition, Xenoblade is in a completely different league than the rest.

I think the more interesting question is, how does Xenoblade stack up against jRPGs last generation. The answer is, "near the top", to be sure, but last generation had some amazing games and it would be difficult to say that Xenoblade kills all of them. However, it lives right up there with the best of last gen.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: