Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 09:02:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334682 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Grand Theft Auto V
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Grand Theft Auto V  (Read 12256 times)
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »

Thankfully, I managed to snag a copy today for $51 out the door, so I felt a bit better about it. Played for about 20 minutes real quick. I can already attest that it is MILES above IV in many ways. Especially the driving mechanic. Much tighter. Feels more like the GTA III series, and Saint's Row.

Been playing for the past few days.

Love the driving, mission variety, and humor that was oh so lacking in IV.

Hate that the shooting STILL sucks balls.  Seriously, Red Dead had better shooting than this three and a half years ago.  Why didn't they just use that system?  I died on Franklin's first real shooting section because of the awful autoaim, the terrible way you stick to cover, and the fact that enemies can put you down in one or two hits if they score headshots. 

The shooting is not that great, but I don't think it's terrible. Different strokes. Like you, I wonder how they managed to make it worse than RDR's gunplay... I was also pretty surprised the first time the cops shot my noggin. I guess that makes it more realistic, but who plays games for realism?

It is still a fantastic game, though. I can tell I'm gonna have hours and hours of fun with this. I love that the environments are so huge and varied. It definitely makes IV's Liberty City seem like a tiny cage in comparison. So yes, I do feel that the $51 is money well spent.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2013, 09:57:41 PM »

Oh, I'm really liking it so far.  The way you interact with characters feels like what they were going for with IV, only it's fun this time!  I'm just shocked that the shooting continues to feel like absolute shit.  RDR had great shooting.  It felt responsive, the dead aim stuff was great, and everything felt loud and powerful. Here, things feel teeny and weak by comparison.  I was really looking forward to the reworked shooting because it looked like Max Payne 3 (which is a freakin' awesome shooter). 

Oh well, I'll keep at it.  Just pissed that we're putting up with awful shooting mechanics and it's been nine years since San Andreas.  Hell, SA had better shooting controls than this....
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »

Oh well, I'll keep at it.  Just pissed that we're putting up with awful shooting mechanics and it's been nine years since San Andreas.  Hell, SA had better shooting controls than this....

The answer probably would have been to wait for the PC release then.
I don't see how aiming with a mouse could be done badly =/
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2013, 11:22:29 PM »

Anyone else feel like the police are way less on your ass than in IV?  Anyways, the driving is certainly 100x better.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2013, 11:44:31 PM »

IV had better driving if you wanted to "act out" in the game, but if you want something that's just gamey and fun in an open world every other GTA is way better.
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2013, 07:24:02 AM »

Anyone else feel like the police are way less on your ass than in IV?  Anyways, the driving is certainly 100x better.

I can see that. I managed to evade them one time by just veering off the road and driving up a hill. I definitely remember IV's cops being more aggressive.

IV had better driving if you wanted to "act out" in the game, but if you want something that's just gamey and fun in an open world every other GTA is way better.

The one thing I do miss about IV's driving is how you could smoothly power slide around corners with the hand brake. In this one, the handling is almost too tight for that. Maybe I just need more time to get the feel of it...
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2013, 02:13:54 PM »

I finally obtained my copy of the game, yesterday.  I heard the police are more annoying in this game, rather than in IV.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »

This game is so entertaining, its ridiculous. I couldn't be happier.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Nel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2013, 03:08:33 PM »

I finally obtained my copy of the game, yesterday.  I heard the police are more annoying in this game, rather than in IV.

So far, it's like the others have said. The police seem waaaay less aggressive than in IV.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »

I think the police are less aggressive and less annoying than IV (gotta love how they could spawn about one block from you), but they're still a nuisance.  They can't really stop you, but you'll constantly end up spotted or have to restart their silly stealth gameplay in order to avoid them. 
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »

One thing I did notice about the cops in V is that it seems to take longer for the heat to wear off than it did in IV. ...Although, that could be just my imagination. Even if it is the case, it's balanced a bit by their new-found passiveness.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »

I'm loving GTA5.  PS3 release has been great for me since PC isn't out yet.  Probably thanks to huge install file, no doubt. 

Definitely and as far as I'm concerned, it's much better than previously.  This is how I always wished it would be done since GTA3 on PS2.  You get far enough ahead, you can try and hide until the heat wears away instead of just trying to outrun them endlessly until they give up.  I like this way much much more.

Yodes and I are going to be quite the team for GTA Online.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »

I have a huge pet peeve with people not knowing roman numerals,lol.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »

Michael and Drugs

Code:
Why aliens I wonder.  Anyways, I love the drug trips.  I definitely like how missions can literally go any which direction.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »

Need to vent...

The complete lack of a proper manual outside of the iPad app is complete and utter bullshit.  Been playing for around six hours and I'm still getting notifications on what button to press in what specific instance and how to control certain action.  Uh, guess what, Rockstar; I can't remember a quarter of the things you've taught me.  I got into a fistfight five hours ago and you told me how to block.... once.  Now when I get into a mission specific fight, do you honestly expect me to remember that specific control after five hours of gameplay?  Oh, I'm supposed to?  Well, that's nice.  Also, I've had mission markers break left and right.  Game shows a mission, load it up on my GPS, drive there, mission disappears when I'm about thirty feet away, get frustrated, drive away and come back, mission reappears.  WTF? 

....AND THE SHOOTING IS FUCKING TERRIBLE AND SOMEONE SHOULD BE SHOT FOR THIS SHIT!  Seriously, how can they go backwards from Red Dead Redemption?  How can you have such awesome shooting on foot and on horseback and then completely fuck it all up with your signature franchise?  Every shooting section feels slow, sloppy, tedious, and borderline atrocious.  The cover is shit, the aiming is shit, the autolock is shit.  What the hell were they thinking? 

I love the three character system, but even this feels kinda half-assed at times.  Why do I have to buy stocks with each individual character?  Don't you realize how damn tedious that is?  Do I really want to sit through a fifteen second load screen to get to Trevor so he can buy the same stock Franklin just bought?  This is like having to craft each piece of fucking ore in Tactics Ogre.  How can a developer think that this is a good idea?  It just wastes everyone's time. 

....*deep breath*.... Okay, that feels a bit better.  Still liking GTA5 (awesome driving, way better missions than IV, and funny as hell), but, Jesus, how are they still making key mistakes from way back in 2001 with III?  And how the hell can they go backwards on some of the awesome things done in RDR? 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: