Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 12:11:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341271 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fate/Extra
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Fate/Extra  (Read 8997 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2011, 04:55:17 PM »

Just got the text from gamestop that Fate/Extra is available for pick-up tomarow.... Totally snuck up on me though with everything else I've been tending to..... Marathon-playing Disgaea 4 in honor of halloween today, highly enthralled with Xenoblade and I've also got a multi-player play through of Seiken Densetsu 3 going at the moment..... So I'll probably pick it up to snag the SE as I'm a sucker for artbooks and OST's but the real question is, is this title one to be excited about?

Although I am a huge anime fan I never watched anything in the Fate- universe and don't know much about this title. I read previews and whatnot and it looks somewhat promising in most respects aside from visuals (which I could really care less about anyhow...) but I trust this community over previews any day... So whats the concensus, anyone else grabbing this one?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »

I'm on the fence about this title.  While I enjoyed Fate/Stay Night (and Fate/Zero is really good so far), I'm not a huge fan or anything.  From what I understand this game sort of exists in a universe of its own anyway.

The thing is, I haven't been able to find much information about whether the game part is any good or not.  There is a big visual novel influence in it (not surprising considering its pedigree), but how do the RPG elements hold up?  It sounds potentially kind of grindy and lacking in depth, but I don't actually know.  I haven't seen any import reviews and the game is so low-profile it doesn't seem like anyone has reviewed the English version yet either.  I mean heck, every week The Official Playstation Blog posts all the new game releases for that week and they neglected to even mention this game.  Talk about flying under the radar...

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »

Yeah, the other Fate games are visual novels, but all reliable sources say Fate/Extra is a "dungeon" RPG, which usually means "dungeon crawler."  And I know dungeon crawls can be hit or miss with a lot of people.  This is definitely a title, I think, that would be prudent to wait for more opinions on than jump the gun on.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 01:15:42 AM »

Well one of my friends is buying this sometime this week (she's a huge fan of the whole Fate series and she loves having otome elements in anything). I'm kind of excited to play because the Rock-Paper-Scissors battles look pretty fun. She's playing as a girl with the Archer servant and I'm playing as a guy with the Caster servant. It'll be interesting comparing our experiences with the game on its own and in comparison to what we know about the series (all I know is that the first game is NSFW).

Also, rock-Paper-Scissors is badass.

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 05:51:03 AM »

I've played both Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. However, like Neal advised, I'm hanging out for a review on this spin-off. All I know about the gameplay is what I've seen from the videos, and it didn't really grab me. Once it's out, and if people are saying its good, then I may import it. However, the idea of having Arcueid as my Berserker servant is quite tempting. She was awesome in Tsukihime. Otherwise, I like the design of the male Saber.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »

I've played both Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. However, like Neal advised, I'm hanging out for a review on this spin-off. All I know about the gameplay is what I've seen from the videos, and it didn't really grab me. Once it's out, and if people are saying its good, then I may import it. However, the idea of having Arcueid as my Berserker servant is quite tempting. She was awesome in Tsukihime. Otherwise, I like the design of the male Saber.

Uh....What?

First, you don't actually need to import it (unless you live in the UK).

Second, I don't think Arcueid is in this.

And finally I don't think there's a male Saber involved in this either.

Unless I missed something....Oh yeah, we're getting this and Black Rock Shooter but no Xenoblade. I'd call it quits with gaming except that Skyward Sword is less than a month away.

Nevermind the fact that outside of an anime that covers about a third of the source material (badly), a prequel anime that isn't bothering to explain shit, and now this game that also is probably isn't going to explain shit; the only way to get a handle on this series is to read an LP, do the usual import/apply translation patch, wikipedia it, visit fansites or have a fan explain it to you, or involve illicit means.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »

From what I gathered, you choose your servant. They can be male or female and you can choose their cast.
So yes, there would be a male Saber class servant.

I think this game has nothing to do with the story of FSN, except that servant design are cameos of the existing ones.
I haven't seen the female Berserker class servant, but if they made her look like Arcueid, that's a pretty funny cameo.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:27:01 PM by Annubis » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »

Fate/Extra takes place in a parallel universe of the rest of the Fate mythos, so it can stand alone.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 06:24:04 PM »

First, you don't actually need to import it (unless you live in the UK).

I live in Australia, so yes, I do have to import it.

Second, I don't think Arcueid is in this.

Her character design is used as the female Berserker.

And finally I don't think there's a male Saber involved in this either.

Like Annubis said, there's a male and female for each class.

:P

TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »

I've only seen female saber, male archer, and female caster.  having trouble finding pics of the others....anyone got some?
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »

I've only seen female saber, male archer, and female caster.  having trouble finding pics of the others....anyone got some?

http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Fate/Extra#Servants

TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »

I'm a bit confused.   The descriptions of the gawain, robin hood, and nursery rhyme make it sound like they are NPCs.  Are they choosable or not?
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »

Yeah, I was under the impression that the only selectable servants were the ones TiamatNM mentioned.  Of course, many other servants appear in the game as NPCs and opponents.

But I haven't played it, so what do I know...

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »

Hmm, yeah. I didn't notice that when I was looking at the pictures. I honestly have no idea.

TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »

I'm reading some reviews and realizing that going to that site spoiled all  the servant identities and that mighta been bad to look at if I actually get it lol.  

some (positive) reveiws:
http://www.gamingbus.com/2011/11/01/review-fateextra/
http://www.roboawesome.com/?p=20342

and yeah you get choice of male/female master but not servant, you must choose from those 3

My main thing is that, if the story is good I can deal with (what looks like to me) a weak battle system.  If the battle system is weak though I want the battles to be FAST....so I wonder if the battles in this game are fast if the combat is weak like it looks.  Also I don't like that all the dungeons are cyberspace looking, seems like that would be dull.  Even so, if the story and music are good maybe I'll take a dive on this and see how it works, cause the number of games I'm looking forward to is so absurdly small that I can count them on one hand.  -__-
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 08:57:07 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: