Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 07:00:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327352 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fate/Extra
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Fate/Extra  (Read 8211 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »

I stand corrected then.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 09:40:43 PM »

I'm gonna just go for the impulse buy and get this.  Saw some vids on youtube, I like the music.  

think I'll pick saber
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:24:20 PM by TiamatNM » Logged
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »

Saw this today and almost bought it, after watching some vids I feel I have to have it, lol

Everything's Eventual
Commander Jubby Shepard
What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.

If you come back you will find me a very grave man

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »

Does this game have more than one save file?

If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »

I bought it yesterday night. It has any number of save files. I like it so far. It's superficially like the Persona games, but in structure, it's actually pretty different.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »

I've never heard of a PSP game that only allowed for one save file.  Is that even a thing?

Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »

I think Z.H.P. only has one per game file, but it's a roguelike so yeah.
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:48 PM »

I've never heard of a PSP game that only allowed for one save file.  Is that even a thing?

Wyrdwad from Xseed said that Grand Knights History only has one save file so that's at least one game I suppose

I have ZHP, I've never even tried to make another file on it.  I think I remember seeing empty file slots though so I'm under the impression you can make more files, its just that it autosaves on whatever file you have loaded. 
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 12:20:09 AM »

I'm about two hours in.  It's. . .interesting.   Definitely better than I was expecting.  The whole prologue portion was surprisingly well done.  I can't say anything else beyond that until I have more time with the game, but as the back of the game box says, it definitely defies certain conventions.

I do have to say I'm a bit disappointed with the Limited Edition.  While the book is hardcover and appears rather lage, it really only has 15 pages, and about half of the pictures take up two pages each.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:22:56 AM by Cyril » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 02:48:50 AM »

For those of you who have picked this up, how is the actual combat?  That's probably the one area of the game I'm most worried about.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 03:09:20 AM »

For those of you who have picked this up, how is the actual combat?  That's probably the one area of the game I'm most worried about.

Rock-Paper-Scissors-esque is the easiest way to explain it.  You've three main commands, Attack, Break, and Guard. Attack>Break>Guard>Attack and so on.  You have to insert 6 commands at a time, usually only knowing a few of the moves the opponent is going to make.  So until you learn the enemy's attack patterns, you're going to be luck-based.  I'm not sure yet if there's a way to easily read the opponents moves, such as by defeating more of them or if you simply must memorize everything.  If you successfully attack (or "beat" their command) the enemy three times in a row, you get an extra bonus attack.  There are also special moves and skills you can use, but before I could mess around more, my battery ran low.

The easiest way I can explain this without the RPS comparison would be something akin to Nocturne's Press Turn or P3/P4's system where you exploit an enemy weakness and you get an extra attack.  But in this game, rather than getting an extra attack, you get to attack without being damaged.

I'm obviously not too far in so I can't tell you how tedious it can or will get, but there is some element to both memorization, strategy, and risk/reward to it.  The game is more of a VN with RPG elements than a full blown RPG.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 03:12:04 AM by Cyril » Logged
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 07:39:05 AM »

I went to check a look at the Fate/Extra board over on GameSpot and, as expected, it was good for a laugh. Quite funny to read topics where people think they know what they're talking about, but really have no idea.

Anyway, to those of you playing it... how's it going? Battle system interesting? I've been hearing the dungeons are a bit repetitive (which puts me off buying it more than anything), opinions?

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »

For those of you who have picked this up, how is the actual combat?  That's probably the one area of the game I'm most worried about.

Rock-Paper-Scissors-esque is the easiest way to explain it.  You've three main commands, Attack, Break, and Guard. Attack>Break>Guard>Attack and so on.  You have to insert 6 commands at a time, usually only knowing a few of the moves the opponent is going to make.  So until you learn the enemy's attack patterns, you're going to be luck-based.  I'm not sure yet if there's a way to easily read the opponents moves, such as by defeating more of them or if you simply must memorize everything.  If you successfully attack (or "beat" their command) the enemy three times in a row, you get an extra bonus attack.  There are also special moves and skills you can use, but before I could mess around more, my battery ran low.

The easiest way I can explain this without the RPS comparison would be something akin to Nocturne's Press Turn or P3/P4's system where you exploit an enemy weakness and you get an extra attack.  But in this game, rather than getting an extra attack, you get to attack without being damaged.

I'm obviously not too far in so I can't tell you how tedious it can or will get, but there is some element to both memorization, strategy, and risk/reward to it.  The game is more of a VN with RPG elements than a full blown RPG.  

Sounds more like Suikoden's dueling system but with an extra fold added to the mix (and the removal of everything else).

Man I hate games like these. I hardly want to pay for them now while it's still going for $50 a pop due to their mediocrity, yet I know for a fact that this game will end up going for $500 on eBay (provided I even find one either within my state and/or the nearest one over since I missed the street date drop).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 12:36:40 PM »

It's on the PSN for 25 dollars.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »

That.  And even the limited edition version is only $40.  I don't know where Aeolus got $50 from...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: