Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 05:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319786 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fate/Extra
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Fate/Extra  (Read 7557 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 09:09:37 PM »

I stand by my score 100%.  The gameplay was THAT bad and since this is a game, well... Bad combat, lame dungeons, cheap deaths, no quicksave in dungeons... all that adds up to an experience that was below C level for me.  In addition, I disliked the music (total yawnfest) and the graphics had a very generic sense of style.  There is no way in Heaven or Hades I could rate the game any higher, nor would I.  For all intents and purposes, it's really not a very good game.  Biggest disappointment of the year so far.  You couldn't pay me to play the sequel.  

If you liked the game, fine.  Whatever creams your Twinkie.  There are plenty of games that I liked that other critics and fans lambasted (i.e. I enjoyed Thousand Arms and I think I'm the only critic who scored Wild Arms XF favorably.)  

But, I still recommend people looking for a good story-based video game should play To The Moon instead.  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:12:55 PM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »

Funny how it's looking to be one of my bigger surprises, but I guess we had our expectations at opposite ends.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:59:44 PM by Eusis » Logged
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »

Dincrest - I'm mostly talking about the score.  I know you'll say the text of the review is what matters but I feel that it deserves at least a 70 because the story is good.  I agree the combat/dungeons suck but it's broken up often by town/cutscenes so it's not as horrible as it could be.  Basically, 62 on this site is really really bad lol

Haven't you just described it as a good book but a bad game?

If it was purely a visual novel, then (at least for me) I'd give a higher weighting to the story category. But it has a substantial amount of gameplay too.

No I haven't cause it's not a book.  There's gameplay (not all of which is combat), artwork, graphics, music, etc.

Dincrest - OT but I like Thousand Arms as well.  The dating sim stuff was fun.  I can't remember a thing about the combat system or the general story though lol
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 07:21:47 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
greg

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 01:44:07 AM »

There is no way in Heaven or Hades I could rate the game any higher, nor would I.  For all intents and purposes, it's really not a very good game.  Biggest disappointment of the year so far.
Yeah... but... Saber's wearing a see-through dress this time. You can see her panties. That has to count for something, doesn't it? :)

Dincrest - OT but I like Thousand Arms as well.  The dating sim stuff was fun.  I can't remember a thing about the combat system or the general story though lol
Actually, Thousand Arms is another example where it has an interesting story, but a lousy gameplay system. I really did not like the linear fashion of the fighting, and how only one character can attack and you'd have to switch them to the back in order for another character to fight. I love Red's Sakura Taisen games, but Thousand Arms was weak and I sold it for a decent price. I really tried to like it, but I just couldn't.

Mike
Administrator

am doge

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 01:52:07 AM »

Yeah... but... Saber's wearing a see-through dress this time. You can see her panties. That has to count for something, doesn't it? :)

Clearly we need to update our grading scale to add what really matters: "Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Control, Story, T&A" - maybe even remove some of the other less important ones like "story."

This has been my random public sarcastic post for the quarter. Back to the shadows for me.

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2011, 07:29:11 AM »

it does count for something :D  +10 points!

......(I'm joking about the +10 points part)
greg

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »

Seriously though, it's sad how video games sell the T&A issue in video games in order to sell more. The character design of Saber is what drew me to Fate/Stay Night to begin with. The story was a bit odd, like a combination of X-Men, Pokemon, and Battle Royale. The red dress she wears in the game is rather lovely, but it's odd that they would make the front part see-through like that just for guys to go "ah-tee-hee-hee." This is more of a criticism on what's wrong with anime these days than the game, I guess.

Fate/Extra has not yet grown tiresome for me yet. We'll see how long it takes before it gets boring. The story itself is the highlight, I'm sure we all agree. So far, the paper/rock/scissors isn't too dull, and there is a strategy behind it. I haven't played it for a few days (I was on a trip to Vegas over the weekend), but I am hoping that the dungeons in the second phase will be bigger and more interesting.

TiamatNM

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »

The red dress she wears in the game is rather lovely, but it's odd that they would make the front part see-through like that just for guys to go "ah-tee-hee-hee." This is more of a criticism on what's wrong with anime these days than the game, I guess.

I haven't played it for a few days (I was on a trip to Vegas over the weekend), but I am hoping that the dungeons in the second phase will be bigger and more interesting.

I really like her dress.  I'm cool with the see-through but I think only middle schoolers will go "ah-tee-hee-hee" lol. 

The dungeons don't change dramatically but the floors do get larger and the background graphics do get more detailed/unique. 
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »

Anyone who knows me as a reviewer knows that fanservice often yields a sigh and a few points docked off nowadays. 

Thousand Arms did have a battle system in dire need of improvement (it was ATB + Grandia's IP gone horribly wrong), although I found it really easy to break.  You know, if I were to play it now, I doubt I'd like it as much as I did when I played it back in college.  I'm a different man now than I was back then. 

Eusis- That's a fair point.  I mean, the Fate/ series has a cult following among import gamers and I was left wondering, "what's all the fuss about?" after playing Fate/Extra.  There are superior visual novels and RPGs out there. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 10:57:14 PM »

Eusis- That's a fair point.  I mean, the Fate/ series has a cult following among import gamers and I was left wondering, "what's all the fuss about?" after playing Fate/Extra.  There are superior visual novels and RPGs out there. 

Yeah, I agree, I could only seriously recommend it to people who were also interested in a taste of the Nesuverse (or fans, but I guess most of them leaped at this ASAP anyway), though at least the VN portion's good enough to recommend if the alternatives have already been exhausted.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2011, 11:19:12 AM »

I'm enjoying it a lot, but I seem to have really low standards. I've also never seen or read any Fate/Stay Night media before. I might now.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2011, 06:47:56 PM »

Yeah, I agree, I could only seriously recommend it to people who were also interested in a taste of the Nesuverse (or fans, but I guess most of them leaped at this ASAP anyway), though at least the VN portion's good enough to recommend if the alternatives have already been exhausted.

This kinda sums up Fate/Extra. It's a game that only fans of F/SN are going to be interested in at all as the rest of the game is too mediocre to stand on its own.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 06:56:08 PM »

I'm not a F/S fan in any sense(though I love Rin's design), and I enjoy the game so far. Very unique combat(if a little frustrating if you don't read patterns), and the story is engrossing. Great Aksys writing, as always. That's practically the main selling point.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
greg

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2011, 10:29:47 PM »

I'm slow with RPGs, plus I haven't been playing much games lately. Busy looking for new work for next year, reading books, etc. I haven't given up on the game yet, and it continues to interest me. I'm on day two of the third week now. It hasn't gotten tiresome for me yet.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: