Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:59:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327406 Posts in 13405 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Star Wars: The Old Republic (RPGFan Guild Edition)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (RPGFan Guild Edition)  (Read 27119 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 01:39:54 PM »

Also, please make sure you fill out the application information - and at least tell us who you are on the forums so we can invite you properly. Been getting alot of j-random applicants with zero information.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »

Fuck, I got Dead Space 2 and checked my Bioware account to see if the Ser Isaac armor popped up for Dead Space 2... then saw I got a message inviting me to the beta on the 16th with a code I had to register within a few days. So frustrating I missed a good chance at getting in. :(

Well, I made an account on SWTOR's site (EusisGR, most every other handle either was taken or got blocked by what may be the worst inappropriate language filter I've ever encountered), so maybe I'll get a beta invite AND KNOW IT before it actually launches.
Zyco
Hope I'm not the old guy!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2011, 01:11:33 PM »

After not really liking the game all that much weekend beta 1.. this weekend I played with 2 friends and had a great time.  I actually ended up loving the Smuggler/Gunslinger class on the Republic side and will play that on launch. I am not giving into the EA BS where you pay $5 for a shot to play the game up to 5 days early, I hop they dont nickle and dime people to death in this game.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2011, 05:32:26 PM »

I am not giving into the EA BS where you pay $5 for a shot to play the game up to 5 days early, I hop they dont nickle and dime people to death in this game.

What are you talking about.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »

I am not giving into the EA BS where you pay $5 for a shot to play the game up to 5 days early, I hop they dont nickle and dime people to death in this game.

What are you talking about.

Maybe he's communicating badly, or even outright confused on how pre-orders work? Not that $5 put down to pre-order is at all the same as nickle and dime-ing us since it's just an advance payment.
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2011, 06:35:15 PM »

Pretty standard for people who prepaid/bought a digital copy to get a 3-5 head start advantage. I hate Ea, but almost all new release PTP mmos do that.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2011, 06:46:08 PM »

What's funny is that with EA I would not be suprised to see a vanity cash shop show up sooner rather than later. Not that SWTOR is goint to be Free to Play, but there are several subscription games that offer vanity items for an additonal fee - like Aion.

Personally, I think the tiered 5 day head start thing is kinda shitty. Every other MMO out there gave you 7 days, and didn't base it on when you pre-ordered. I could understand the need for tapering your starting population to relieve congestion, but that's what having multiple servers (and zone instancing) is for. They have a good idea about how many people will be there at launch, not to mention you aren't going to have every person who played beta putting down cash for the game. I think that a person who pre-ordered a month ago shouldn't be penalized because they didn't jump on the pre-order bandwagon this past summer - that's just bad business. Also, for the record, SWTOR does have zone instancing, you can swap in the map screen.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 06:51:34 PM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2011, 07:24:32 PM »

Aion had a 3 day head start and Rifts was 5 days . I did not know that they had a cutoff for preorders getting into headstart. That is pretty shitty.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »

Really folks?  There are things to bitch about with regards to EA, but early access for playing a game isn't one of them.  The game officially launches on the 20th.  Playing any day earlier is a bonus, not an entitlement.
Zyco

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:32 PM »

The games retail price is $54.99 EA is charging people $5 for a shot to get early access (all 5 days are not a guarantee, its all pending on when you enter your early access code on how many extra days you get)

So what I was griping about is how EA is charging people $5 for early access (and hiding the price for it, they only show pre-order $59 early access games to buy right now), I think its quite unheard of for any game.. especially MMOs to charge 1/3 of a monthly fee to play the game a few days early.

Its just a nickel and diming complaint.. I mean people got crazy over the $2-5 bank fees and this is not even a month long like a bank fee would be.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:54:39 PM by Zyco » Logged
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2011, 11:01:17 PM »

Actually, the game's retail price is $59.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Old-Republic-Pc/dp/B001CWXAP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322625319&sr=8-1&tag=acleint-20
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/star-wars-the-old-republic-online/88761
http://www.target.com/p/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-PC-Games/-/A-13721734
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-PC/17117742
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_018V004236553000P?prdNo=12&blockNo=12&blockType=G12

You are griping about nothing.  The $5 down is for a preorder, no different than any other preorder reservation that you'd make at your local Gamestop.
Zyco

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2011, 06:05:58 AM »

/shrug I have 4 guildies that got it in the past 2 days for $54.99 by turning down the $5 fee
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »

So they saved $5 while everyone else is paying full retail price.  I fail to see the issue.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2011, 11:12:13 AM »

You sure they just didn't get the game on sale? The retail price is $59.99 - early access is just the bonus for preorder - they're not charging anyone extra for anything. I fail to see this hidden $5 fee. Pre-order bonuses are pretty standard nowadays. Now if you're talking the collector's edition - the content vs. sticker price is debatable.

Either way, my point about the head start was that with the amount of servers they plan on launch and the technology already available, staggering the head start shouldn't matter. It makes me feel like they're just trying to save money. All staggering is going to do is spread out players across the various zones - while it may relieve area congestion in regards to quests, none of it is going to matter if its a 5 hour queue to get in come launch day. It's not like there's going to be a lull in player activity once pre-launch starts. You have people who are taking time off for this launch, as well as going into the holiday season with school being out. Their server loads are going to be constantly rising. If anything, I think there's going to be a third wave, possibly stronger than the 12/20 crowd as the fence-sitters join in with the Christmas/holiday crowd. I think its would be better to open the dam so they can identify the cracks and fix them before the actual launch instead of being lulled into a false sense of security in a controlled environment. That's five days to finalize server deployment, update server code and revamp any of your networking needs so that the actual launch is smooth as silk. Anyone remember how bad the WoW and Aion launches were in regards to broken clients/server queues?

Anyway, they're not going to change their mind so I really hope they have an open beta so they can really get a true stress test instead of a planned one. I know they're not stupid, they opened up like 6 new servers for this weekend test, and it helped a ton. I'm sure they have a plan - I just think it would be better to tackle it sooner, rather than later. Launching a game this big during the holiday season is unprecedented, they really can't afford to make a bad impression. MMO players are a fickle crowd to begin with.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:14:05 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »

Ok, I think I see where this concept of the $5 fee is coming from. It's from EA's own preorder page.

http://buy.swtor.com/us/

They're calling it a fee themselves. /facepalm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: