Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 06:02:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319011 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  Star Wars: The Old Republic (RPGFan Guild Edition)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (RPGFan Guild Edition)  (Read 24702 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2011, 07:26:01 AM »

I don't have time to watch explosions.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2011, 11:43:03 AM »

Well shit, the Origin site EA uses to sell digital downloads sorts you into a language based on your IP, with no way of changing it...really, EA? You're too lazy to program a drop-down menu to select a region? Guess they never send their employees overseas, that'd be a real doozy.

So I can't buy the game where I am, and even if I could, it'd be in the wrong language. wat

By the way, is there a benchmark or a rough equivalent of one for this game? I'd still feel more comfortable if I actually got a rough idea of how my laptop would run this thing.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »

There's no benchmark.

Also: http://youtu.be/1oEXxltvm34
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »

How did you get your graphics to look like that Parn?  Did you force some effects with your videocard?  I can play with everything maxed and there are only minor graphical improvements over normal/low.

The weekend rockstars are in the toilet, practicing their lines...
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2011, 12:31:47 AM »

I have 2x AA and 16x AF forced through the ATI Catalyst control panel.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »

I don't have an ATI card, and apparently this doesn't work using nVidia's control panel.  I guess you can edit a script to tell the game to turn AA on, but there is some debate as to whether that breaks the TOS or not.  No way Bioware would ban people for that anyway...

So my shoulders are beginning to hurt from the awkward angle I sit at to manipulate my keyboard and mouse, so I spent a long time yesterday configuring my gamepad to play this game.  It's really fun this way, but I have to reform my habits (skill rotations and stuff) so I made this diagram:

I'm not actually using a PS3 controller, but the buttons are the same, and this is how I best recognize them.

The triangle button is the modifier... holding triangle while pressing one of the buttons activates the quickslot on the bottom row.

I had to add keyboard buttons for the bottom-center hotbar (I used F1 through F12), then used Joy2Key to make my controller button presses send keyboard strokes that correlate with that quickslot.  Joy2Key has an option where holding a button temporarily switches your controller configuration to another... so in my case, holding "triangle" remaps the buttons to the F1-F12 keys, or the bottom quickslot bar.

All in all, the only problem is that there are no in-game buttons for "move camera up" and "move camera down".  My left analog stick moves forward and backwards, and strafes.  The right stick turns left and right just fine by invoking the A and D keys.  In order to look up and down, I had to set that axis to press the right mouse button, and move the cursor up or down however many pixels.  It works, except diagonals cause me to strafe due to the right mouse button being invoked, along with the left/right axis invoking A and D.  I'm basically emulating mouselook.

The solution to THAT problem, is to not use A and D for basic turning, and instead making the right analog left/right axis invoke the right mouse and move the cursor too.  It was almost perfect, except that when your right stick hits your deadzone or leaves a quadrant, that rightclick command releases, apparently sending a "mousebutton up" message to windows, interrupting newer "mousebutton down" messages, which results in the cursor moving around the screen for a small moment, and no turning.

The reason I'm still playing this way is that the cursor actually loots for me when the right click releases, inadvertently saving me from having to incorporate some other looting solution.

tl;dr:  I push X and I hit with my lightsaber now, like an action game.

The weekend rockstars are in the toilet, practicing their lines...
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »

Holy shyte!  I turned off the shadows and now the game runs a WHOLE lot better. Yay.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »

Holy shyte!  I turned off the shadows and now the game runs a WHOLE lot better. Yay.
Yeah, full shadows can murder the fps in a mmo
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 01, 2012, 03:47:47 AM »

double.  So i got it going and my comp can barely run it on the lowest possible settings. It's a 4 year old system so it's not all that surprising. I'm in the process of trying to update my drivers but it's bound to be a very minor improvement.  Oh the horror:(  I suppose a new tower is in order. I'm guessing a 500 dollar new tower should give me at least decent performance. I'm not looking for the highest possible setting. The frame rate is the biggest problem.

Disable shadows. They are poorly implemented and are a major resource hog. Some folks are reporting 20-40% FPS improvements. The engine is poorly optimized as it is, and quite a few of us are having overheating GPU issues because of it.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2012, 11:58:56 AM »

Holy shit, getting my ass kicked by the Forge Guardian. how embarrassing:(

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: January 02, 2012, 10:40:45 AM »

double.So you guys still playing empire on the mind trick server? I may have to check you guys out sometime. I've been thinking about starting a new new character.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2012, 11:45:12 PM »

Indeed.  Just send a whisper to Vertus if I'm on, and I'll add you.

On that note, I'm almost to level cap but still have three more planets to finish up.  Certainly isn't a shortage of content.  Also have an updated set of gear.

badsanta

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »

I have a question about this game; does it have a monthly subscription fee, or is it free to play?
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »

It's a subscription-based game, $15/month.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »

Made it to level 22, so close to my speeder.  I really, really didn't like the content on Balmorra, but I'm digging Nar Shaddaa more.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: