Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 07:36:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330113 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  So I just played TERA... with screenshots. ***Bandwidth Intensive***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: So I just played TERA... with screenshots. ***Bandwidth Intensive***  (Read 25675 times)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 01:04:53 AM »

Ok, I lied...

Ladies on the prowl... Side saddle is how classy chicks roll.

Kysia is crazy with her grind house dancing. This stuff is totally NSFW.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 01:12:53 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 10:22:54 PM »

Just a couple updates - no pics though, since once Skyrim hits, I probably wont be playing much for the next couple of days.

1) The world is seamless. There are 2 continents and one island (beginner area) which are zoned off from each other, not unlike WoW. Within each land-mass, the areas are seamless. You can also choose to use the Pegasus Express, which shoots you through those warp portals to get to destinations faster. I can see why they give you mounts so early in the game, the realm is HUGE. I'm not quite sure how many square miles, but it easily dwarfs World of Warcraft pre-expansion. Possibly on par after Burning Crusade was added if not a little larger. The transition from area to area is actually well-done as well. You don't go from extremes like in most other MMOs. Going from a plain to a desert, you actually pass through grasslands of a savannah before becoming dessicated as you get closer to the desert, likewise with the rainforest. I spent a solid hour riding around and I think I saw only 3 of the 8 zones in Southern Arun. This doesn't include the wastelands of Northern Arun or any of North or South Shara continent.

2) The visual fidelity of the game world doesn't depreciate. Each zone is incredibly detailed and stunning to see. There are some reused mob skins, but overall the bestiary is pretty freakin' large. Most areas have creatures indigenous to the environment, with some of the undead mobs being some of the most twisted i've seen in a while. I haven't seen any weather effects just as yet however. Also, there seems to be different channels ala Aion to allow better playability in congested zones.

3) There is an auction house, player bazaar system and mail delivery - so poo on you FFXIV. You have an expandable safe, but there's no personal spaces yet, but i'm sure that's on the table. There's certainly enough townhouses in Velika.

4) Mastering your class is much more than just knowing which combo rotations to use. Most encounters require you to take on multiple mobs at once (usually a stronger boss-type mob with a ton of adds) which will leave you dead very quickly if you don't pay attention to movement, timing your attacks and when to use restoratives and bombs (yes, you can use bombs). If you get knocked to the ground, most mobs won't hit you while you're down - but you can get nearly stun-locked if too many are hitting you at once. Movement is really really important here. The ability is super combo chain is next to useless if you don't learn how to GTFO. I see this being a major issue for people who are less than patient, or those who expect mobs to be pushovers all the time.

Combat isn't hard once you learn the basics, but you have to think strategically - especially if you're taking on shit higher than your level. Most mobs have a red gleam on their person before hitting you with a big move - usually its an anime-style eye gleam flash with an accompanying sound effect (like a katana slicing through bamboo), so even if you don't see it, you can usually hear it unless there's too many battle sounds. Centaurs will rear up and their spear tips and front hooves will glow red when they're about to lay you out. I've also learned that if you evade every move, you will never get an opening to attack. The main gist of combat is to evade the major attacks, and to make sure you don't get surrounded since attacks from behind seem to crit alot more frequently. Mobs will flash an exclaimation point over their head when they see you, but most will not attack outright until you attack them. Linking groups is a rarity since most mobs are attached to their own flock - attacking one will draw all of them, even fighting next to another flock will not bring them down unless you're careless with AOE.

5) There is a decent roster of instanced dungeons throughout the level spread, and all are 5 man PVE. From what I've read, some of them have a hard mode with a new boss and extra lewt. Dungeons are on a 24 hour timer for re-entry though, which is expected to be adjusted for NA release. All dungeon last bosses will drop treasures at 100% but there is a small chance of legendary items as well.

Lv. 19 Secret Base
Lv. 26 Bampieru Mansion
Lv. 37 Heathenish Shelter
Lv. 42 Necromatic Dungeon
Lv. 50 Golden Labyrinth
Lv. 50 Akasha Dungeon
Lv. 53 Hanging Gardens
Lv. 58 Labyrinth of Terror
Lv. 58 Black Tower
Lv. 58 Ron Saleh

6) There are numerous overworld bosses that are built for small and normal party play (3-5 man). Large scale PVP and PVE content is supposedly slated for Winter 2011-2012 so we will see if we get that stuff on release as well.

7) The game is NOT A KOREAN GRINDER! Seriously, i'm leveling at a pretty generous clip. I've done 16 levels in about 10 hours of playtime - half of which was probably figuring out where stuff was and how to do things. From people I've talked to the journey to cap (level 58) takes a little over a month for casual players and can be done from just questing.

Anyway, I thought i'd leave you all with this video of Hanging Gardens dungeon.

Hanging Gardens, Level 53 Instanced Dungeon Speed Run

That's all I can relate for now. I'll keep you posted
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »

Tera beta signups are live.

http://www.tera-online.com/node/958
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 06:01:46 PM »

Nice.  Just in time for my new computer to arrive, too.

Can't wait for Guild Wars 2 beta as well.  Will be trying both if I can get in.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 10:58:25 PM »

Tera will be free to play... kinda.

ZshadeZ

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 10:09:24 AM »

Very interesting article. I don't know how effective it will be, but I do like the thought put into keeping money sellers away. In most MMO games I've played I become more of a trade/AH addict than anything else, so the system really interests me. Without tons of time to play or being able to play at set times (job, wife, etc) raiding is usually out, but popping in now and then to make some deals or stab a few things on my own is doable. Hoarding rare high value decks in WoW was fun and all... but doing the same with a scroll item that provides game time when used would be a whole new aspect. I can't say how big this game will turn out to be, but I did sign up for the beta and it might end up being my first new MMO in years.
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 05:17:29 PM »

Apparently this runs on the unreal engine?  I had doubts how well the new 'puter would run it, but it looks like it will run it really well.

Very interesting article. I don't know how effective it will be, but I do like the thought put into keeping money sellers away. In most MMO games I've played I become more of a trade/AH addict than anything else, so the system really interests me... I can't say how big this game will turn out to be, but I did sign up for the beta and it might end up being my first new MMO in years.

I don't know how much effective it will be either, but I imagine just the virtue of having a legal avenue to go would cut it down quite a bit.  If RMTers are offering 2x the gold for the same price, we'll see.  The market will dictate the prices so it will be interesting to see.  I also like that they consulted with EVE since they implemented the same idea but with expanded features.  Regardless, excited to try out an english version.

I don't know on the staying power either, but I'll definitely play it until Guild Wars 2 comes out. Then we'll see.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 04:56:58 AM »

Apparently this runs on the unreal engine?  I had doubts how well the new 'puter would run it, but it looks like it will run it really well.

Very interesting article. I don't know how effective it will be, but I do like the thought put into keeping money sellers away. In most MMO games I've played I become more of a trade/AH addict than anything else, so the system really interests me... I can't say how big this game will turn out to be, but I did sign up for the beta and it might end up being my first new MMO in years.

I don't know how much effective it will be either, but I imagine just the virtue of having a legal avenue to go would cut it down quite a bit.  If RMTers are offering 2x the gold for the same price, we'll see.  The market will dictate the prices so it will be interesting to see.  I also like that they consulted with EVE since they implemented the same idea but with expanded features.  Regardless, excited to try out an english version.

I don't know on the staying power either, but I'll definitely play it until Guild Wars 2 comes out. Then we'll see.

The Chronoscroll concept is interesting, but it will be up to the market to determine its viability.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about staying power. The game launched in Korea a year ago and they've addressed many of the gameplay issues and content holes that plagued the game. I personally had a blast with it, but other than the combat, you won't find anything too far from the norm.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 03:43:05 AM »

New armors... slightly NSWF
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 04:32:07 PM »

I probably shouldn't be surprised by this, but I just found out TERA is subscription-based. While I'm hoping to get into the beta, I'm not sure if I want to spend $60 to only play it for a month, then have to pay more. A shame, it was one of my most anticipated games this year.=(

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Akanbe-

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »

I probably shouldn't be surprised by this, but I just found out TERA is subscription-based. While I'm hoping to get into the beta, I'm not sure if I want to spend $60 to only play it for a month, then have to pay more. A shame, it was one of my most anticipated games this year.=(

Yeah, you shouldn't be =P.  It made a fair amount of news in Korea when they announced the subscription because the thing is pretty much unheard of over there. 

Also, a little info going around is that they're going to be blocking out IPs so you can only play on servers in your region in an attempt to cut down farming/botting/account hacking.  I doubt it will work since I'm sure the people doing it have a host of ways to get around it, but between that and chronoscrolls people might just say fuck it and stick to WoW.  WoW would be exponentially more profitable anyway.

Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »

ip blocking won't stop farmers, they will just get proxies
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2012, 07:51:59 PM »

Security through obscurity never works.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 12:57:37 AM »

Yeah I'm pretty bummed about the IP block. My best friend is living in Japan and this totally screws our team. Hopefully they come to their senses before launch. Anyway I'm preordered with the Digital Deluxe Edition. Beta starts next weekend. Can hardly wait to play in English. Anyone else preorder?
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2012, 02:08:18 AM »

Yeah, you shouldn't be =P.  It made a fair amount of news in Korea when they announced the subscription because the thing is pretty much unheard of over there. 

To be fair, I don't live in Korea.=P

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: