Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 09:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341244 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Valkyrie Profile 2:Silmeria video review.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Valkyrie Profile 2:Silmeria video review.  (Read 5385 times)
Bogatyr
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »

Dade,

Yes, sometimes I do think they don't score high enough. Although 8 something is a good grade, I do think RPGs which don't hold a brand such as FF or DQ rarely get past 80, or 85 AT MOST. For example, I commented just recently that in their XS III review they barely appointed any flaws in the game, and yet they gave it a 80, which is not a bad score, but I would expect more by reading the review.

Eusis,

The same I told Dade, but it is not only about scores. Sometimes I get me thinking WTF is this guy reviewing a RPG? I think it was in the old forum that I opened a topic regarding Minstrel Song review. By that time I had no even played the game, so I was not contesting the merits of the score by any means, but some words got my attention:

"Role-playing games face the challenge of taking what is usually rather tedious and boring gameplay and making it interesting through the use of compelling characters and an interesting story. After all, Final Fantasy VII didn't sell millions because of its brilliant use of random encounters."
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/romancingsagaminstrelsong/review.html?sid=6135413

Now why the fuck would they chose such a guy to review a RPG?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2006, 05:29:41 PM »

Ha... I can't argue how stupid that line is. While it can be good at times to throw someone who dislikes a genre or series on a new game just to see how people who don't like them will like this new game, it's pointless if they won't properly evaluate the game or will not even attempt to hold off on their bias. Admittedly I need to read that particular review still, but it can't be worse than this one. Goes in hating the game, and can't even be bothered to point out how the dungeon crawling works. I have yet to play WA4, and admittedly may agree with the story complaints, but a good review should at least /touch/ on all the game's fundamental gameplay aspects, rather than being one long bash.

I'll admit though that the large part of the reason I'm defending the reviews of major sites/publications is that I'm just plain sick and tired of seeing people bitch and moan about how RPGs or game X aren't given proper treatment, when 9 times out of 10 they do the job just fine. For every valid complaint like the ones for the RSG, WA4, and EA reviews, there's some dumbfuck like that Thanatos guy who gets riled up over a perfectly valid 8.

As for the XSIII review: Like I mentioned, the 8's probably less because it has no significant flaws outside of the censorship, and more that it just didn't do anything exceptionally extraordinary. For whatever it's worth, GameSpot on their ratings. While everyone has different ideas of what scores are most fitting and whatnot, by their standards it sounds like an 8 is fitting.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »

I often laugh when I see someone say a site sucks because of their reviews. Oftentime, it's because the person disagrees with the site reviews, and these are the people who start flaming people who give a game a 5 instead of what it "really deserves."

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 05:01:42 PM »

Does anyone think this will be hard to find a few months after it comes out?

I want to get it, but there's other games coming out that have higher priority than this and I want to wait to play it.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 07:59:55 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"
Does anyone think this will be hard to find a few months after it comes out?

I want to get it, but there's other games coming out that have higher priority than this and I want to wait to play it.

SE's releasing it. And games like Romancing SaGa and Grandia III still seem to be plentiful.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2006, 02:59:51 AM »

ZOGMPREVIEW.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Tuan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2006, 10:25:51 PM »

I'm definately going to buy this game!From what i have seen from videos and previews it looks very promising.
I think it's the first time that i anticipate so many RPG games!

Btw,sorry for my wording but english is not my first language...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: