Author Topic: What game are you most grateful for this year?  (Read 6585 times)

Klyde Chroma

What game are you most grateful for this year?
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
In honor of thanksgiving (for those who are of the US and celebrate it) what RPG (or game) are you most grateful for this year??....

My vote goes to Xenoblade.....

NOTE: If your not of the US play along anyways.... there is no bad day to be gratuitous :)
In this world is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcedental entity or law? is it like the hand of god hovering above? Perhaps Man has no control even over his own will…

Dade

• Rainbow Club Member
  • D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart
    • View Profile
Re: What game are you most grateful for this year?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 02:45:46 PM »
I think i'm most thankful for the Assassin's Creed series. I started playing them this year, and have played through AC:II, Brotherhood, and now currently splitting time on Revelations and Skyrim. It has rekindled a little love I've always had with Mediterranean culture, and let's face it, Ezio is pretty awesome.
Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling

kyuusei

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 02:55:43 PM »
Mass Effect 2, PS3 version.

Runners up: 999, Assassins Creed series for same reasons as Dade, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution

CDFN

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »
Is this a goty thread with a different name?

Anyway, though the best game of the year for me was The Witcher 2, I guess I'm thankful for xenoblade because I had given up on playing a jrpg that could rival the best ever on current gen consoles.
Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.

Prime Mover

• All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio
    • View Profile
    • www.ericbarker.com
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 04:05:56 PM »
Xenoblade... Xenoblade... Xenoblade! (in 3-part harmony) I'm so grateful I didn't let the continental divide dissuade me from doing horrible things to my Wii so I could play this game. FUCK NINTENDO for not releasing it here. Fuck 'em home.

But I also played Nier this year, as did many others among us. Way to depress the ever-living shit out of us with grand style!

I have yet to get to get ACII: Revelations, due to Zelda, but that'll be my next purchase... well, after going back and beating the crap out of Xenoblade. Fuck you Nintendo, I kill you in my sleep! I'm a sucker for AssCreed. Ezio's the hottest man ever... and that's coming from a certifiably heterosexual male-man.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 04:07:59 PM by Prime Mover »

Commander Jubby Shepard

• What do you call a kid with no arms and an eye patch? Names.
  • If you come back you will find me a very grave man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »
Does this have to be games made and released in 2011 or games we played in 2011? I'm thankful for Radiant Historia, Portal 2, Nier, Persona 4, and Fallout 3 for reminding me why I love vodeo games.
If it'll hold Jello, Utah will put Jello in it.

Esper_Crusader

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 04:35:07 PM »
Skyrim and Arkham City get my vote(s)
Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky

Demon_Princess_Kay

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
CATHERINE

Eusis

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:34:51 PM »
For some reason it doesn't feel right to do this about VIDEO GAMES, but I'll roll with it.

Is this a goty thread with a different name?

I'd rather take a different angle myself, since my favorite game may not be the one I'm most GRATEFUL for. So with that said; The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. Reminiscent of the best of 32-bit RPGs, and offers some hope really great JRPGs can be localized and brought to the US despite the PSP/DS being in a downturn and NoA being insane and not bringing Xenoblade here (or at least taking their sweet time and being entirely too quiet). I might have my hopes shot down anyway though depending on whether the other games in the series come out, but at worst I got something as good as I remember JRPGs being.

Darklight

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
Catherine

Bytor

• Ego Enhancement Consultant
  • Hiding in Inaba
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 07:51:47 PM »
I'm with Jubby on this one. If we simply say what game I played "spoke" to me the most I'd say Nier and Lunar: Silver Star Harmony, now games released this year, that's a different question all together, which for the moment I will dodge, lol
Everything's Eventual

Kevadu

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »
Definitely Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.  I am thankful that Xseed took the trouble to localize such a wonderful yet difficult to translate and commercially questionable title.  I pray that we see the rest of the games in the series in some form or another...

MeshGearFox

• HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
The only new games I recall playing this year were, uh, Radiant Historia and Okamiden. And I only liked one of those.

So I guess Radant Hisora?
o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fadedsun

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »
I'm grateful for Catherine, Skyrim, Dark Souls and KOFXIII. Oh, and Radiant Historia. I loved that game. Too many good games this year!
"Oh, a hunter..."

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 11:29:04 PM »
Trails in the Sky re-established a hope for localizations, and a proper story CAN be found in modern JRPGs.

Radiant Historia made me realize stories in JRPG don't have to be made of cheese.

Assassin's Creed helped me blow of end-semester stress...by making mass-murder fun.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!