Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 11:31:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337812 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  My goal starting November: beat 1 RPG a month
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: My goal starting November: beat 1 RPG a month  (Read 3676 times)
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »

I'm in the same boat. 36yrs old, wife, kid and full time job.

I end up having to get an hour during my work lunchbreak , maybe 2hrs when the wife goes off to the gym... getting time with my favourite hobby is more of a challenge than the games themselves.

I just came back to the office having finshed DQIX and now have the issue of deciding whether to keep going with the post game content (grotto's, DLC, legacy bosses etc) or moving on to the next game on the list (Etrian Odyssey 1 and 3, Infinite Space, Ghost Recon: SW) so not to 'waste time'.
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 11:14:18 AM »

Good luck, though you'd probably be better off investing this kind of determination into something a little more productive. As much as I love games, Ive come to the conclusion that they should be a hobby, not a routine.

Then again, many people need a sort of routine to make time for their hobbies.

Is playing video games a productive use of my time? Absolutely. And I'm actually rather offended that Maxximum thinks he knows what is and isn't a good use of other people's time.

There's a difference in playing when you want to, and forcing yourself to reach some sort of self set goal. I've done this many times, and at the end of the day ended up wasting a ton of time that I could have made much better use of. RPGs can be especially punishing in this regard. What I meant to say, is that playing should be fun, not a routine chore. Depending on what type of person you are, the determination to reach a set goal can keep you going way past the line of enjoyment and put you right in the middle of self torture territory.

In short, I simply meant that he/she should play while its fun. It wasn't self righteous preaching, just advise based on my own experiences.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 11:29:04 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
Themadcow
RPGing since '84

4 groups of 99 Berzerkers

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 12:13:37 PM »

It's a good question. Does the brief but fantastic feeling of beating ultimate end game bosses (such as Uber Prinny Baal or Ruby Weapon) compensate for the 15+ hrs of mindless grinding it takes?
PotRoast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 01:41:47 PM »

There's a difference in playing when you want to, and forcing yourself to reach some sort of self set goal. I've done this many times, and at the end of the day ended up wasting a ton of time that I could have made much better use of. RPGs can be especially punishing in this regard. What I meant to say, is that playing should be fun, not a routine chore. Depending on what type of person you are, the determination to reach a set goal can keep you going way past the line of enjoyment and put you right in the middle of self torture territory.

In short, I simply meant that he/she should play while its fun. It wasn't self righteous preaching, just advise based on my own experiences.

I see your point, but the point of goals (such as with the original poster) is just to get you to make the time to sit down and play. Some people certainly get their priorities mixed up after they've been set, but I think it's a poor excuse to discourage the behavior.
DTX180

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 12:52:01 AM »

got about 2 hours of gaming in today, not bad. Had to study mostly for my 1 grad class im taking (slacked off this semester, i know). Tomorrow i take the test, work a small shift, and have some free time this evening.

So far Wild Arms is a blast from the past. Graphics aged pretty well imo, although it does feel blocky at times in battles, but its not really that bad. Really badass intro cutscene.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2011, 05:36:04 AM »

Will you beat it in 14 days?!

Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2011, 06:33:21 AM »

The original Wild Arms is awesome, in fact, all of them are good. But if you don't have a lot of free time you'll never meet the end of the month deadline. That game just tempts you with a tons of side-quests that are much more than just "collect monster fur, get potion" affairs.

NOW PLAYING:
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2011, 09:30:24 AM »

So far Wild Arms is a blast from the past. Graphics aged pretty well imo, although it does feel blocky at times in battles

In the sake of fairness, the in-battle graphics looked bad when it was new ;P

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DTX180

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »

wild arms: overall, i must say this was the best jrpg ive played in a while. Then again, this gen is awful for jrpgs, so maybe thats why. I had to take a skyrim break, but i finished the main quest and some optional stuff in wild arms. Overall a solid 8/10. I would recommend it to almost everyone.

Next up in a weekish will be: suikoden III
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »

Did you do the side quests? There's actually quite a few of them. Zeds side quest if pretty fun, I never did figure out those "rings of time and space" or whatever it was called though. I know I can probably check a FAQ, but for some reason I feel like going back to the game some day and figuring it out on my own.

NOW PLAYING:
beLIEve?

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »

i don't think i could finish one rpg a month if i tried. even though i don't have a wife or kids during the summer months when i get done with work i have a couple hours before i fall asleep, so i don't make much headway in games. i work as a bike mechanic so i have a few fortunate months in the winter off while the season is slow. i'm slowly busting my way though dark souls. i'll probably be playing dark souls till febuary. i hope i'm closed to finished by then so i can focus on kingdoms of amalur. i try to stick to one thing at a time unless i'm super frustrated.
  i have a pretty big backlog. wild arms is on the stack. i missed a lot of the ps1 era. the only ps1 games i remember playing before owning a ps2 was chrono cross, metal gear solid and FF7. none of which have i finished which is just sad. i think i owe it to myself to take a break from new games some time soon.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 03:48:17 PM »

I've never played Wild Arms 1

I loved Wild Arms 2 though, but due to a stupid rage during a breakup, deleted my save file not far from the end. Great characters and storyline, great villains.

Wild Arms 3 was actually a bit underwhelming compared to 2. I got annoyed with Virginia's daddy issues after a while, the overworld is bland as hell, and it kinda drags later in the game. I was probably 2/3rds the way through when I stopped. It's the most "wild west" feeling of the series.

Wild Arms 4 is a totally different animal. It doesn't feel anything like a Wild Arms game. Everything is different. World Map exploration is gone, it often becomes a side-scroller RPG with platforming, the battle system is a tRPG hybrid, and the Wild West theme is almost completely gone. Never-the-less I really enjoyed it, and some of the characters (Raquel) are absolutely amazing. I stopped JUST before the final boss, and I've always regretted it. One day, I WILL FINISH IT, but it's been years. I would say that 4 is better than 3, but is like a completely different series. Where I thought that 3 was a boring rehash of elements fine-tuned by 1 and 2... 4 is fresh, but a little uneven at times.

I've heard bad things about 5, never played it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: