Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 03:53:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341180 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Sony's Smash Bros.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Sony's Smash Bros.  (Read 13955 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2011, 07:34:37 AM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-28-images-of-sonys-rumoured-smash-bros-rival-revealed

Are you guys ready for a fighting game with Drake, Kratos, Parappa, Sweet Tooth and other sony characters?

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:46:21 AM »

I have to say that I'm kind of skeptical about how well this will work.  The Sony characters just don't seem well-suited for this sort of thing.  I mean, Nathan Drake vs. Kratos in a fighting game?  One of them hangs off of ledges and says 'oh crap' while the other murders gods.

Not to mention that they certainly lack the universal recognition that Nintendo characters seem to enjoy.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »

One of them hangs off of ledges and says 'oh crap' while the other murders gods.

Really? How is it any different from bringing nintendo characters into a fighting game? Did Princess Peach or the ice climbers strike you as good characters for a fighting game? Kratos fit like a glove into mortal kombat and Cole is looking just as good in SFxT, it works if people know what they're doing. It obviously wont be as cartoony as Smash Bros, what they have in common is mixing lots of characters from different games.
"Hanging from ledges"... lol, I suspect he will be punching and kicking other characters because that's what you do in a fighting game but what do I know.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 12:26:18 PM »

Smash Bros. works because it's cartoony.  You can take a lot of liberties in a light-hearted cartoon style.  This game doesn't appear to be cartoony from the limted assets we have seen (which is probably a good thing for the characters in question), but if you try to have more realistic characters it's hard to take the same sort of liberties in balancing them.

And Kratos worked in Mortal Kombat because Mortal Kombat is already filled with violent over-the-top psychos.  He fit right in.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 12:30:56 PM »

Don't know about you guys but in Uncharted 3 I have Nathan Drake punching and kicking like a pro.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »

Calling it now. Fat Princess will fight like Pikmin.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 12:45:36 PM »

I have to say that I'm kind of skeptical about how well this will work.  The Sony characters just don't seem well-suited for this sort of thing.  I mean, Nathan Drake vs. Kratos in a fighting game?  One of them hangs off of ledges and says 'oh crap' while the other murders gods.

Eh, I think this is a lot more common than you think.  I just fought Phoenix Wright - a guy who yells "Objection!" against Iron Man in UMvC3.  It'll work as long as it's not supposed to be "realistic", which I'm sure it won't be.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »

This game sounds like a good idea that has no way to be well-executed. If they can, I'll be surprised.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 07:32:57 PM »

This thing better be in it

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 10:02:09 PM »

I bet on one of the Colossi being in the game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 11:48:19 PM »

I never "got" the smash bros thing but if sony wants to cash in then give'er.  I suspect that if it works then microsoft won't be far behind.  master chief and....marcus phonenix i guess..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »

Apparently a big PS3 exclusive will be announced at the VGAs, my bet is on this game.

Wild Armor
Observer
Contributing Editor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »

I bet on one of the Colossi being A STAGE in the game.

Fixed. ;)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 08:46:42 PM »

I never "got" the smash bros thing but if sony wants to cash in then give'er.  I suspect that if it works then microsoft won't be far behind.  master chief and....marcus phonenix i guess..
Pretty sure they can wrangle Commander Shepard too.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 10:48:55 PM »

Pretty sure they can wrangle Commander Shepard too.

Male Shep v Fem Shep?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: