Author Topic: Looking for RPG's that read like books.

PrinceVince

• View Profile
Looking for RPG's that read like books.
« on: November 13, 2016, 12:16:05 AM »
Hello. First post here :)

I use video games to help me learn languages. The best games are ones that have the most reading/listening and the least amount of gameplay (not reading/listening). Right now I'm playing Chrono Trigger in Spanish. Games that require a lot of grinding are not good because I spend less time consuming the language.

Looking for recommendations of games that match this criteria. I know there's a lot of RPG's out there that are practically like books!

Tomara

• View Profile
Re: Looking for RPG's that read like books.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 04:03:37 AM »
How do you feel about adventure games and visual novels? You'd lose out on the RPG-style gameplay, but if you care mostly about the story, these genres are probably better suited for what you're trying to do.

Towns Car Marty

• Certified Dirtbag
  • RPGFan Editor
  • the dark souls of dryboys
    • View Profile
    • MisanthroPop
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 05:44:30 AM »
Welcome! It sounds like Trails in the Sky and Planescape Torment might be two games for you.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251150/
https://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 06:34:20 AM »
Lost Odyssey perhaps.  The lengthy cutscenes of that game were penned by a novelist.
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 12:10:15 PM »
Lost Odyssey perhaps.  The lengthy cutscenes of that game were penned by a novelist.

Seconded

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

PrinceVince

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »
Thanks guys. Visual Novels are ok, but from what I've seen, many of them are overwhelmingly Japanese. I do like quite a lot of Japanese games, but many of them don't have the magic they use to have after having lived in Japan for a while. They just seem too culturally myopic to me. Looks like Trails in the sky is only available in Japanese or English (see the gaming wiki http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Heroes:_Trails_in_the_Sky)

I would love to try Lost Odyssey if I had an Xbox. PC games are preferred because it's easier to extract language information from them for my flashcard system. I have played Planescape Torment. Great game, but only useful in the later stages of learning a language since progressing in the game depends very heavily on actually understanding what is going on (definitely not a bad thing, just very advanced language engagement). Unfortunately it's not available in Spanish, the language I'm working on right now http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

I can still recommend these games to my students for learning English :)

Chronix112

• Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi
  • Unlimited Insomniac Works
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 04:58:58 PM »
I can vouch for An Octave Higher, at least. Also, I forgot about Solstice! Gotta add that to my Steam wishlist...

EDIT:

This one is available in Spanish, btw. It's the prequel(-ish?) to An Octave Higher.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:00:50 PM by Mickeymac92 »

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

PrinceVince

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 08:27:17 PM »
Thank you! I'm adding these to my list :)