Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 02:51:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338633 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Naughty Dog's The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Print
Author Topic: Naughty Dog's The Last of Us  (Read 28311 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: July 16, 2014, 05:16:34 PM »

I can't get behind the whole deal of The Last of Us being "fantastic and perfect" because in all of my playthroughs I kept seeing a better game than the one I was playing.

I've talked about my perspective of the The Last of Us before in this forum, so I'm not gonna repeat myself again.

I see it as a mixed bag, too.

A mixed bag of the greatest PS3 games ever.

smh.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #271 on: July 16, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »

:D

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: July 16, 2014, 05:18:24 PM »

Combat-wise I found it nothing special or unique.  Just the narrative and atmosphere totallly sold me.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: July 16, 2014, 10:45:55 PM »

Combat-wise I found it nothing special or unique.  Just the narrative and atmosphere totallly sold me.

I don't know why you feel the need to point that out.

Virtually everyone knows that The Last of Us was a decent dramatic TV series instead of a video game. Most of the stuff it tried to do as a game ended up falling short. It worked for what they wanted to present, but the final product is not this cohesive experience between game and narrative. The narrative is good enough to keep pulling your pants to see how is gonna end, but to do that you have to play a game that more often than not doesn't do anything remarkable, and that's without mentioning how the ending can either make or break the entire experience depending of the expectations the player.

Like I said before, buried within The Last of Us there was a better game and even a better story, but that didn't happen. But it doesn't matter because most people liked the final product, so... whatever I guess. *shrug*
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #274 on: July 16, 2014, 11:11:15 PM »

I disagree completely. I found the gameplay and survival elements to be excellent and don't at all think it was a purely cinematic experience. It was VERY good in the latter category, but I'm replaying it because I enjoy the combat and the sneaking and the survivaling. Cool if you don't feel the same way, but saying it as if it's objective fact is not something I can get behind.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 16, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »

I was probably one of the harsher critics of TLOU when it came out, but I've got to admit that it's really grown on me over the past year.  There's a lot of subtlety and nuance to the combat and stealth than I initially gave it credit for.  It doesn't always work (and I still maintain that the beginning areas of the game are awful compared to how much it opens up in terms of tactics and player agency), but it's very different from everything else out there.  Combat feels nasty, mean, and rarely leaves you unscathed.  I really like those aspects of the game and it totally sells the atmosphere. 
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: July 16, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »

@Taelus: '_')d Sure. No hard feelings.

But you realize that most of what The Last of Us did as a game was made better for other games that came around before in the mid and late 2000s, right?

I was probably one of the harsher critics of TLOU when it came out, but I've got to admit that it's really grown on me over the past year.  There's a lot of subtlety and nuance to the combat and stealth than I initially gave it credit for.  It doesn't always work (and I still maintain that the beginning areas of the game are awful compared to how much it opens up in terms of tactics and player agency), but it's very different from everything else out there.  Combat feels nasty, mean, and rarely leaves you unscathed.  I really like those aspects of the game and it totally sells the atmosphere.

Yeah, that was one of the aspects I did liked about the game. The combat had what I call "friction"; The damage you did and received had some kind of weight to it along with feeling nasty, or I guess is visceral the word I'm trying to use here.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: July 17, 2014, 12:01:19 AM »

I disagree completely. I found the gameplay and survival elements to be excellent and don't at all think it was a purely cinematic experience. It was VERY good in the latter category, but I'm replaying it because I enjoy the combat and the sneaking and the survivaling. Cool if you don't feel the same way, but saying it as if it's objective fact is not something I can get behind.

I actually appreciated it more when I did the "Survivor" difficulty run.  Something about a 'perfect steal run' is very satisfying (and interesting when you can see how many enemies you can just sneak passed...).

Like I said before, buried within The Last of Us there was a better game and even a better story, but that didn't happen. But it doesn't matter because most people liked the final product, so... whatever I guess. *shrug*

I think UNANIMOUS LOVE (or fanboying/girling) for something can really kill the buzz for later adopters.  A lot of people, after hearing all the praise for TLOU, had trouble seeing it since it does get built up (I assume).

Otherwise, I think The Last of Us has a brilliant story.  Maybe not in its brief synopsis, but the nuances in human interaction and desperation.  You're kind of vague about how the end kind of makes it or breaks it, but I think that was the point.  The game always makes an effort to blur the lines of its cast; they created flaws for every virtue, and so on.

If you mean it had a bad story because of its "pseudo zombies" (Clickers), then I agree there; but that was a big criticism even before the game's release.  I'd argue that they really were more a means to an end, plot-wise though --- it's the humans that take on most of the '
drama'.
I liked the "story" because the people felt real and the dialogue felt far from "video game-y".  And again, that atmosphere.  The wrecked city, the empty college, the abandoned evacuation centres, the "repurposed" resort, and a restored dam.  I've played many-a-game because they could pull off a feeling and a look; literally creating their own world to wash you up in.  The story didn't have to have a complicated and intricate plot, an optional "do or don't" ending, in-game politics, MIRACLE CURE, and so forth because the setting worked so well on its own as something you could explore and learn about.

On that replay, yeah.... the first few areas of the game are a huge pain in the ass at some points... Summer had that big sequence with everything in the hotel.  Holy smokes what a pain (eat ass, basement section, eat....ass!!!).

Actually, that reminds me.  This is definitely one of those titles that really shows you how important 'down time' is in a game....  Those brief little pauses in the game are totally appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:06:33 AM by Dice » Logged

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 17, 2014, 06:13:56 AM »

It is a brilliant, infuriating game that I will never ever play again.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »

....kinda how I feel about Divinity, Dave!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #280 on: July 17, 2014, 10:01:52 AM »

....kinda how I feel about Divinity, Dave!

I am going to rail you on the podcast.

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:48 AM »

This is actually the best way to describe a 'certain set' of games that I love to death but can't ever touch again due to life/sanity being more important.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2014, 01:02:56 PM »

This is actually the best way to describe a 'certain set' of games that I love to death but can't ever touch again due to life/sanity being more important.

That's how I feel about TLoU and Catherine.
I adored my only playthrough of those games, but I will never ever pick them up again.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: July 17, 2014, 01:36:30 PM »

My opinion of The Last of Us is what it is because I've played the game 6 or 7 times.

I haven't touched my PS3 in a while now, but I could do two more playthroughs with the 'Grounded' mode that was released as DLC for PS3. I don't know if I'm ever gonna do that because this game is tiresome and by the end of it I don't want anything from the game anymore.

And FYI, this what the Grounded mode does to the game if anyone still doesn't know yet:

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »

I've held off on a grounded mode replay for the PS4 version. Doesn't sound like it's for everyone, but I'm going to eat that up.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: