Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 03:44:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337925 Posts in 13834 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Naughty Dog's The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Naughty Dog's The Last of Us  (Read 27894 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2013, 12:07:04 PM »

The Last of Us Season Pass includes 3 DLC Packs with 'More Story' and 'More Maps' for $19.99 -- Source: PlayStation LifeStyle
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »

Reviews are out.  They're bloody good.  So many perfect scores...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »

Multiplayer Revealed

Live Action TV Commercial

I'm ready and I can hardly wait.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 05:34:45 PM »

Man that Troy Baker knows how to pick'em. This is like the second OMFG BEST GAME EVAR, this year. The other being Bioshock Infinite of course. They also both heavily focus on your A.I. companion...hmm...CONSPIRACY!

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »

Kinda sad they shot themselves in the foot with that "You don't get all the story if you buy the game." nonsense though. IMO that only worked for The Walking Dead because it was an online-only (at the time) game (that and the episodes, when added up, were still less than full-game price), which is a platform I feel episodics should stick to. I really have no desire to buy a physical 'full' game if I've been told/know that the plot isn't going to be concluded unless I wait for X amount of months after buying it (the way I've been reading this in various spots is the DLC is less Fallout/Mass Effect style and more 'core plot' story material). At least not for a part one-er. Why bother buying this fresh on day one when I'm not going to be getting the full story? I'd rather wait til all the DLC comes out then just do it in one go.

Which either means I've bought it used (because by that point $10+ in savings is nice) and have likely spent $30-40 on the DLC episodes (judging from the intro 'discount' price) or will just wait patiently those 3-4 extra months for the inevitable DLC physical bundle edition, spending roughly $20-30 for a new copy considering GotY pricing histories. Either way; they've lost money from me compared to if they'd just put in all the story and convinced me to buy the $60 copy day one.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:10:16 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 07:10:16 PM »

But they didn't say the plot isn't concluded with just the game, people have even said the ending is nuts. The DLC just said "more story," which Bioshock also said, and that sure as heck had an ending. I don't think this is a situation like the Walking Dead, unless I'm completely misinformed.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2013, 07:35:04 PM »

I'm sick of this knee-jerk freakout reaction towards anything DLC-related.  This is not an episodic game and I'm not sure how ZeronHitaro even got that impression.  They said that there are three pieces of DLC planned but two of them and purely for multiplayer, only one relates to the single-player experience at all.  And while they haven't actually said what's in the single-player DLC, not a single review I've read said anything about the ending of the game feeling incomplete.  Nor did they say that the base game was particularly short (edit: I might add that it's actually longer than any of the Uncharted games...).  The DLC could just be random extra missions or something.  Or something stuck in the middle, ala Deus Ex: HR.

Also, they said that buying the "season pass" (which is $20) is a %30 discount compared to buying the DLCs individually.  But a) that's a package deal, not a preorder thing.  You should be able to get it at any point.  And b) only one of the DLCs is related to single-player at all, the other two are purely for multiplayer.  So if you only care about single-player then you're probably looking at a whopping $10.  Not $30-40.  That's assuming you don't just ignore it.

DLC can certainly be abused, but that doesn't mean that all DLC is inherently bad.  You know, some people are actually perfectly willing to pay some extra money for new things to do in a game that they like.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:40:15 PM by Kevadu » Logged

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »

Agreed.

Also, Jim freaking Sterling gave it a 10/10. If I weren't already preordered and ready to go, that would have put me over the edge. That guy isn't afraid to call 'em like he sees 'em.

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2013, 07:56:29 PM »

Honestly I'm not even sure where the info came from anymore since it was from 4+ days ago. It's just tidbits I remember glancing over between various gaming news articles and 'maybe' the VGA demo video commentary. *shrugs* If that's not the case I'll be quite happy. But I've already got my expectation bar lowered just to be safe.

On a side-note Kevadu I'm not so much miffed at the concept of anything DLC relation. Just more the idea that someone might have decided to give me 3/4ths of a book and decided to make me pay for the other 1/4th. Rather than something more reasonable like current DLC, which to continue the analogy is paying more for the epilogue/filler.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2013, 08:54:32 PM »

Understandable, but I think the consensus is that that is NOT what is going on here, so I don't think you have anything to be worried about.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2013, 11:53:34 PM »

DAMN. I knew this would be good, but I'm still shocked by the scores it's getting. I really may have to buy this at full price, and I pretty much never do that. Can't wait.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2013, 12:25:10 AM »

27 perfect scores on metacritic (out of 56).  Crazy.

Farron

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2013, 08:16:04 AM »

Perhaps they decided to release this small story bit as DLC because it may be a side story or it didn't get seamlessly integrated with the rest of the game (and the money, of course), but I doesn't seem like the game is incomplete. I've read it takes about 15 hours, great length and it surely doesn't seem like a "capcom move".

Anyway, I'm growing more and more excited about this game the more I see it, but I'm choosing to avoid as much as I can so I won't ruin the surprise.
Now of the short videos I've seen, one thing I can say that I'm amazed at are the graphics! It's incredible Naughty Dog has yet again managed to make a PS3 game look even better than Uncharted 3.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2013, 12:01:41 PM »

Avoiding spoilers has been really hard. ~_~

Reminds me of the time when I didn't owned a PS3 yet and I had to be careful with seeing spoilers of MGS4 for like 3 years... it was worth it though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:24:18 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 12:36:05 AM »

That intro sequence.

That motherfucking intro sequence.

Code:
I almost cried. This was the closest I've ever come to shedding tears during a game, ever.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: