Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 03:44:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Naughty Dog's The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Naughty Dog's The Last of Us  (Read 17422 times)
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2013, 12:55:45 AM »

Just got back from E3. It was waiting on my doorstep. Time to play.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 15, 2013, 07:19:09 AM »

Holy Christ on a breadstick this game is good.  Maybe I'll be able to phrase that more eloquently when it isn't 4am...

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »

I'm not going to be able to play this game for another week or two.  You guys have no idea how jealous I am of you.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2013, 12:03:30 PM »

Holy Christ on a breadstick this game is good.  Maybe I'll be able to phrase that more eloquently when it isn't 4am...

Quoting because I giggled. x)

That intro sequence.

That motherfucking intro sequence.

Code:
I almost cried. This was the closest I've ever come to shedding tears during a game, ever.
That intro sequence.

That motherfucking intro sequence.

Code:
I almost cried. This was the closest I've ever come to shedding tears during a game, ever.

Yeah.... wel done.  Naughty Dog hereby mastered "how to feel for characters in 10 minutes of screen time or less" ...along with Pixar (i.e.; Up).

I played, but this will be an exam week, so I passed it off to the boyfriend....that lucky bitch.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: June 15, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »

This game is fucking rad. I'm

Code:
just escaped the patrols with Ellie and Tess, now I'm in the knocked-over building and just got attacked by a clicker.

Forgive the expression, but Naughty Dog is the tits.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »

I'm loving the combat in this game.  I'm pointing that out because I didn't really expect it.  Obviously the narrative and presentation are brilliant, but I expected that.  The story might be a tad cliche, but it's executed so well I don't care.

So back to the combat.  It's amazing how they can make a game that clearly builds off a lot of the same pieces Uncharted used but feels so different.  Honestly, combat in Uncharted was not that great.  Lot's of popping out of cover to take out swarms of mooks.  Typical third person shooter BS.  Encounters in The Last of Us are smaller scale but so much more deadly.  Every bullet is precious so going in guns blazing is usually the worst thing you can do.  You want to use stealth combined with all the little tools at your disposal to take out as many guys as possible first.  It all feels very tactical.  You have limited resources and have to carefully choose how to use them.  But even if you do get spotted it's not like that's game over.  It is possible to get through encounters with brute force, just difficult.  And you feel the pain for not using your resources with maximum efficiency.  Even so, it always feels possible to keep going.  I do worry that the emphasis of limited resources could lead to pyrrhic victories, but it seems like there's always enough in the environment to scrap something together.

PS: Anyone else notice that the trophies for this game are hard as heck?  I've put a good 6 hours in already and haven't earned a single trophy...

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »

I have it on good authority that I'm getting this tomorrow as a Dad's Day gift. My wife knows me too well. Can't wait!

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »

So I'm hearing this game is buggy.
I'm not trying to troll, I'm asking if anyone has encountered any bugs yet and how often.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2013, 10:59:16 PM »

Wow...gamestop preorder paid off well. Full digital sountrack, dlc items everywhere...like 10 items off my code. I almost don't hate having bought it from them...almost.

TASTY!
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »

I'm seeing a lot of glitches, Lard.  I've glitched through walls, had enemies break my stranglehold for a brief second and come back, long lag times on saves, and lots of graphical glitches when something is happening about twenty feet away from Joel.  I'm actually surprised given how polished the Uncharted games were. 
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2013, 12:29:25 AM »

Weird, I don't think I've gotten a single glitch.  I did notice that there was a day 1 patch, did you get that?

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2013, 01:00:00 AM »

Yup.  It seems to be very YMMV.  Stephen and I were talking about it and he hasn't run into anything.  I, on the other hand, ran into this:
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2013, 02:22:00 AM »

Damn, that is rough Rob. I hope I don't run into any glitches because that is one thing that turns me off any game hardcore. Graphical glitches and stuff anyway if it's a system glitch like W-Item I make note, but it doesn't break my experience. You guys are lucky bastards I still have to wait to play it, since I'm borrowing it from a friend. Earliest I'll get it is Tuesday.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2013, 02:30:24 AM »

I didn't have any issues with the... ...half hour I played. D:
 I could see a game like this being tough for the PS3 to output; I'm sure it's loading a lot.  Ass Creed was a lot of fun for glitches, I think the amount it loaded caused programming hiccups to happen everywhere.

Do you have an older system, P.R.??

Also, is anyone playing with the PS headphones?  Apparently good for the superman-hearing parts of the game.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2013, 09:06:20 AM »

I've got a PS3 slim.  Maybe I'm just unlucky! 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: