Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 08:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319799 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Naughty Dog's The Last of Us
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Naughty Dog's The Last of Us  (Read 17400 times)
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2013, 10:29:01 PM »

I wasn't judging, just wondering.

I can't even watch trailers for some movies I'm excited about.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2013, 10:52:10 PM »

It's relevant so I'll just call Dice out again because she sent me a youtube of the ME3 ending right after I got the game.

I dunno if I'm sorry for that one yet.  On one hand, I feel bad, on the other, I'm diabolically laughing right now, and on the other-other hand I do want to apologize.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2013, 10:59:47 PM »

It's relevant so I'll just call Dice out again because she sent me a youtube of the ME3 ending right after I got the game.

I dunno if I'm sorry for that one yet.  On one hand, I feel bad, on the other, I'm diabolically laughing right now, and on the other-other hand I do want to apologize.

It's my fault for trusting a Canadian. After Pearl Harbor I should know better than to trust you guys

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2013, 11:03:07 PM »

It's my fault for trusting a Canadian. After Pearl Harbor I should know better than to trust you guys

We lure Americans with promises of maple syrup by the gallon and our kind demeanours that remind Murican's of simpler lives.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2013, 11:04:37 PM »

and beaver

Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2013, 11:05:23 PM »

and beaver
tails. They are delicious.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2013, 11:07:55 PM »

Once they are properly shaved and cleaned, yes.

Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2013, 01:43:47 AM »

So I'm experiencing an interesting graphical glitch. I just started the Fall portion of the game, and reloaded all my weapons....now my hunting rifle which is slung on my backpack is repeatedly loading another round into its camber. Kinda funny looking,and I did record it for a couple seconds...may upload to youtube later...maybe.

TASTY!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2013, 03:21:09 AM »

super mario games for example. I think the only mario game I ever played for story as much as gameplay is Super Mario RPG.

Mario games have stories?

You guys are crazy, I avoid spoilers like the plague.  I can't imagine getting the same appreciation out of something like Spec Ops: The Line if you already knew the ending.  It would ruin the whole experience.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2013, 03:27:15 AM »

super mario games for example. I think the only mario game I ever played for story as much as gameplay is Super Mario RPG.

You guys are crazy, I avoid spoilers like the plague.  I can't imagine getting the same appreciation out of something like Spec Ops: The Line if you already knew the ending.  It would ruin the whole experience.

I agree. I don't like to know anything going inl.

EDIT:

Also, I'm about 40% through Last of Us.

Code:
Going with Ellie and Billl to get the car battery.

Haven't had a single problem with stealth or the combat. Didn't mind

Code:
the hanging upside down part, either. It was tense, changed things up, and was brief.

I could understand someone saying this game isn't perfect, but this is already one of those "this game is so good I don't even care about whatever flaws it may have" games for me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:37:10 AM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2013, 09:13:22 AM »

I agree with you, Stephen.  I'm not looking for perfection.  I don't think I've ever played a game that's perfect (except for Chrono Cross, of course...).  I just think there are areas in Last of Us that feel like a record skip during a rockin' party.  These moments stick out in the worst possible way because the game clearly establishes rules that it wants you to respect and acknowledge. 

"Hey, dude, be careful.  Conserve your ammo.  Keep your head down.  Scan the area and move when you feel the moment is right."

"Uh, what about that dude that just spawned in the closet behind me?"

"GOTCHA!!!"

I like this game quite a bit, don't get me wrong.  Remember, I LOVE THE CRAFTING SYSTEM!!! 
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2013, 11:19:54 AM »

You guys are crazy, I avoid spoilers like the plague.  I can't imagine getting the same appreciation out of something like Spec Ops: The Line if you already knew the ending.  It would ruin the whole experience.

I know the ending of Spec Ops, and just the other day I played until chapter 4 and enjoyed it. Its the journey that matters, not the destination. Everybody knows the ending to the Sixth Sense, and it still a good movie.

Also, anyone else getting sick of the swimming in this game? Its not fun, but I think that might be the point of it. At the same time, I can't see what they put so much of it into the game. I generally dislike water, sewer, swamp levels in video games, and this one isn't doing a good job of convincing me that they are great to have in games.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Let's see if you bastards can do 90.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2013, 11:46:06 AM »

I agree with you, Stephen.  I'm not looking for perfection.  I don't think I've ever played a game that's perfect (except for Chrono Cross, of course...).  I just think there are areas in Last of Us that feel like a record skip during a rockin' party.  These moments stick out in the worst possible way because the game clearly establishes rules that it wants you to respect and acknowledge. 

"Hey, dude, be careful.  Conserve your ammo.  Keep your head down.  Scan the area and move when you feel the moment is right."

"Uh, what about that dude that just spawned in the closet behind me?"

"GOTCHA!!!"

I like this game quite a bit, don't get me wrong.  Remember, I LOVE THE CRAFTING SYSTEM!!! 

I like the crafting a lot, too. I'm playing on hard mode, and I guess there are fewer resources, which is creating a fantastic sense of "okay, I don't want to craft anything right now because I'm not sure what I might need later," and it's making me very carefully consider whether I need another shiv to take out a clicker or a first aid kit versus a molotov. Definitely like what they've done with it.

I've only had one situation where an enemy spawned that I couldn't see with the hearovision,
Code:
before you meet Bill when you hear the banging on the door

so I was at least expecting there to be someone there, but I do agree that it's a little Heavy Rain-in-the-clock-shop cheap that they did that.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2013, 04:00:53 PM »

Just beat it on normal mode.

I knew the ending and all already...but damn it's powerful. I'm shocked they took the route they did.

TASTY!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2013, 07:09:52 PM »

Decided to watch the Video Games Are Awesome first dive into LoU; think it roughly covered the first hour and a half to two hours of the game.

...someone really needs to hard sell this for me because I fail to see the appeal. :-\

To be blunt, it looks like Fix it Felix became a real game with zombies splashed in. It goes Cutscene -> Fetch a Ladder -> Talking -> Push a Trash Bin -> Talking -> Maybe one fight location -> Jump into/out of holes -> Fetch a Ladder -> Talking -> Fetch another Ladder, ect, ect. Basically it feels like you're spending more time fetching convenient plank of wood #9 than anything else.

And the story...is good? What? Dialog is amazing I will admit but really within those first two hours the game fell out of the Zombie Cliche tree and hit every single branch on the way down.

Code:
Transmission through bites? Check.
Military's a dick? Check.
Magical girl has the cure in her blood? Check.
Poorly written scene where a previously harsh character has a "I'm a bad person!" breakdown just because of a bite? Check.

I could probably extend that list twice over if I went back and watched the playthrough again.  But seeing the plot in motion really did feel like someone was going through a checklist and making darn sure each item was ticked off as quickly as possible.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being hyper critical but I'm open to be hooked if someone can show me this game's equivalent of "Archylte Steppe".
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: